RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about JPEG image scaling

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about JPEG image scaling Tom Williams 24 Dec 02:07
  Question about JPEG image scaling Marco Wessel 24 Dec 02:14
   Question about JPEG image scaling Tom Williams 24 Dec 02:27
  Question about JPEG image scaling Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Dec 03:32
   Question about JPEG image scaling Sven Neumann 24 Dec 03:55
    Question about JPEG image scaling Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Dec 05:23
   Question about JPEG image scaling Tom Williams 24 Dec 05:31
Tom Williams
2003-12-24 02:07:34 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi! Ok, I'm using Gimp 1.3.23 on Linux. I've got a JPEG taken by a digital camera at 1892x1992 (pixels) resolution. The "Print Size & Display Unit" info is:

Width: 26.278 in Height: 27.667 in
Resolution X: 72.000 px/in
Y: 72.000 px/in

So, I take this to mean the image is 72dpi and could be printed to a size of 26" x 27".

Now, I want to print this image as a 5x7 image so I change the "Height" setting in the "Print Size & Display Unit" section to 7 and the width changs to 6.649, leaving the units in inches. The resolution then changes to 284.554 px/in. So I take this to mean the image now is the size of 6.65 inches wide and 7 inches high at 284.55 dpi. Is this correct? If I click "Ok", will I now have an image which is 6.65x7 in size instead of the 26x27 I started with?

If I then printed this image, would it print as a 6.65x7 image?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Peace...

Tom

Marco Wessel
2003-12-24 02:14:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:07:34PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:

Hi! Ok, I'm using Gimp 1.3.23 on Linux. I've got a JPEG taken by a digital camera at 1892x1992 (pixels) resolution. The "Print Size & Display Unit" info is:

So, I take this to mean the image is 72dpi and could be printed to a size of 26" x 27".

Correct. Though being nitpicky, the correct term is ppi (pixels per inch).

Now, I want to print this image as a 5x7 image so I change the "Height" setting in the "Print Size & Display Unit" section to 7 and the width changs to 6.649, leaving the units in inches. The resolution then changes to 284.554 px/in. So I take this to mean the image now is the size of 6.65 inches wide and 7 inches high at 284.55 dpi. Is this correct? If I click "Ok", will I now have an image which is 6.65x7 in size instead of the 26x27 I started with?

Yes. It won't actually change, but the amount of dots (or pixels, more accurately) per inch will be higher, resulting in a smaller image on paper.

It should. It can vary slightly depending on the printer, but it should generally work out.

Marco

Tom Williams
2003-12-24 02:27:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Marco Wessel wrote:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:07:34PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:

Correct. Though being nitpicky, the correct term is ppi (pixels per inch).

Yes. It won't actually change, but the amount of dots (or pixels, more accurately) per inch will be higher, resulting in a smaller image on paper.

It should. It can vary slightly depending on the printer, but it should generally work out.

Marco

Perfect! Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-12-24 03:32:24 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 23:07, Tom Williams wrote:

Yes.
Actually, what really counts is the number of pixels. So, don't matter what changes you make to the value of "pixels per inch", if you do not change the number of pixels, you can always print the best possible copy of your image, choosing the size to at the printing dialog box only.

Actually, changing the resolution like you did for printing from the GIMP itself has little effect. The interface to printing in GIMP is badly needing to be rewritten, and it will ask you the size/resolution of the output when you go to the print dialog.

However changing the resolution like you did and saving the file generates usefui information for other prograns (for example, OpenOffice), which will them treat the image as if it is of the size you desired.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Peace...

Tom

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Reagards, and Merry Crhistmas were it applies!

JS ->

Sven Neumann
2003-12-24 03:55:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Actually, changing the resolution like you did for printing from the GIMP itself has little effect.

It has an effect. It changes what the print plug-in assumes as the original size of the image. It thus changes the behaviour of the button labelled "Use Orginal Size".

The interface to printing in GIMP is badly needing to be rewritten, and it will ask you the size/resolution of the output when you go to the print dialog.

I agree that the print plug-in could need some work. However I believe that before someone start to work on this, we should make the switch to a newer version of libgimp-print.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-12-24 05:23:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I 've heard on this side of the Planet that Sven never sleeps. He is always there, safe keeping the GIMP codebase.

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 00:55, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Actually, changing the resolution like you did for printing from the GIMP itself has little effect.

It has an effect. It changes what the print plug-in assumes as the original size of the image. It thus changes the behaviour of the button labelled "Use Original Size".

Which, if I recall right, won't print anything larger than a single sheet on the printer. (with options for tiling or trimming the output)

The interface to printing in GIMP is badly needing to be rewritten, and it will ask you the size/resolution of the output when you go to the print dialog.

I agree that the print plug-in could need some work. However I believe that before someone start to work on this, we should make the switch to a newer version of libgimp-print.

I did not mean that it should be rushed in right now. I think both moves can be taken in early 2.1, can't they?

Actually, after I wrote the parent e-mail, I was hit with what might be a good, easily implementable, idea: That would be to make the printing plugin to automatically create an image parasite with the last printing options to a given image - regardless of these optionsbeing saved as gimp-wde defaults. That way, without changing a single bit in how XCF images are saved, the printing options for each image could be preserved.

Is that feasible? (again, I am talking of 2.1, or, 2.0.1 if it is as simple as it seems)

Sven

Regards,

JS
->

Tom Williams
2003-12-24 05:31:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 23:07, Tom Williams wrote:

Yes.
Actually, what really counts is the number of pixels. So, don't matter what changes you make to the value of "pixels per inch", if you do not change the number of pixels, you can always print the best possible copy of your image, choosing the size to at the printing dialog box only.

Actually, changing the resolution like you did for printing from the GIMP itself has little effect. The interface to printing in GIMP is badly needing to be rewritten, and it will ask you the size/resolution of the output when you go to the print dialog.

However changing the resolution like you did and saving the file generates usefui information for other prograns (for example, OpenOffice), which will them treat the image as if it is of the size you desired.

Thanks for the info. Someone else will be printing the image so saving the file after adjusting the ppi sounds like the right thing to do. Since you mention printing from Gimp, I tried that and when I clicked "Use picture's actual size" it reflected the desired size which was exactly what I wanted to see. :)

Peace...

Tom