RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing the color of only part of my text

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing the color of only part of my text mdedwards 23 Mar 17:01
  Changing the color of only part of my text Andrew 23 Mar 18:21
  Changing the color of only part of my text John Coppens 23 Mar 18:21
  Changing the color of only part of my text Chris Mohler 23 Mar 18:33
   Changing the color of only part of my text David Gowers 23 Mar 23:26
  Changing the color of only part of my text mdedwards 24 Mar 13:42
   Changing the color of only part of my text 0ion9 24 Mar 14:32
    the gimpusers.com forum gateway to this list Sven Neumann 25 Mar 00:51
  Changing the color of only part of my text bobdotexe 26 Mar 01:44
2009-03-23 17:01:33 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

Hello

I am creating a simple text logo. The logo is three words but they are all run together: thedaughterproject and I want the word "daughter" to be in a different color.

I cannot seem to figure out how to simply get that one word in there changed, without creating three text boxes and messing with trying to make it look like they all run together, especially since I am using a cursive font.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
2009-03-23 18:21:30 UTC (about 15 years ago)

mdedwards wrote:

Hello

I am creating a simple text logo. The logo is three words but they are all run together: thedaughterproject and I want the word "daughter" to be in a different color.

I cannot seem to figure out how to simply get that one word in there changed, without creating three text boxes and messing with trying to make it look like they all run together, especially since I am using a cursive font.

Thanks

Just a thought, I haven't tried it yet: write the text in one colour, duplicate the text layer, change the colour of one level, make sure the layer is transparent and 'cut holes' in it (e.g. rectangle select, cut) so the one below shows through.

HTH

Andrew

John Coppens
2009-03-23 18:21:31 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:01:33 +0100 (CET) "mdedwards" wrote:

You could make the letters white, and add transparent filters 'above' the text. Or non-transparent filters and set layer multiplication. Or put the text, and cut and paste parts to other layers, then colorize them (without necessity to move them).

Just a few ideas...

John

Chris Mohler
2009-03-23 18:33:05 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM, mdedwards wrote:

Hello

You might try Inkscape (another program) - since the end result will be vector, it will be more suited to logo creation if you ever need to submit it for printing. You could then open the SVG file in GIMP if it needs to be part of a larger composition...

Chris

David Gowers
2009-03-23 23:26:09 UTC (about 15 years ago)

This problem is very simple to solve.

1. Enable 'lock alpha' on the text layer. 2. Choose the color you want 'daughter' written in. 3. Use paintbrush tool to paint over 'daughter' with the desired color.

2009-03-24 13:42:22 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

Anyone? Anyone?

2009-03-24 14:32:08 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

Hello.
You did something a little foolish.
Namely, using this forum, which is a bastardized interface to the real gimp-user mailing list, rather than the real thing.

As you can see, it has major bugs. 4 replies were posted between your first and second messages here, each with a different solution, so your second message looks like you're trying to be a smartass and ignore these replies. Of course, you're not, but this is the problem with bastardized abstractions of all kinds -- they don't quite do what you expected, especially in unusual circumstances.

I recommend you subscribe to the gimp-user mailing list instead of using this strange creature - see http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html

Sven Neumann
2009-03-25 00:51:02 UTC (about 15 years ago)

the gimpusers.com forum gateway to this list

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 14:32 +0100, David G. wrote:

Namely, using this forum, which is a bastardized interface to the real gimp-user mailing list, rather than the real thing.

Right. Unless the forum people do something to educate their users about the rules to respect when participating in a mailing-list, we will have to ask them to remove this gateway to this list. The list is getting really hard to read lately and almost all the problematic posts are coming in via the forum.

Sven

2009-03-26 01:44:20 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

Hello

I cannot seem to figure out how to simply get that one word in there

changed,

without creating three text boxes and messing with trying to make it look

they all run together, especially since I am using a cursive font.

Thanks

you could just select what you what to change (w/lasso tool) and use colorize from the colors menu. moving the sliders will change the color (paint bucket might work, better than colorize)