RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ESC for cancel in full-screen mode

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Eric Pierce 09 Dec 23:12
  ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Geoffrey 10 Dec 01:41
   ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Eric Pierce 10 Dec 02:27
    ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Geoffrey 10 Dec 02:47
  ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 10 Dec 03:24
   ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Jakub Steiner 10 Dec 17:02
    ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Eric Pierce 10 Dec 15:28
ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Ulf Rompe 10 Dec 16:56
  ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Sven Neumann 11 Dec 12:23
   ESC for cancel in full-screen mode Sven Neumann 11 Dec 13:46
Eric Pierce
2003-12-09 23:12:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I use full-screen mode a lot... and love it.

However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out of full-screen mode? I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for full-screen on/off. I always use ESC to cancel out of dialogs (Curves dialog, Levels dialog, etc.) But in full-screen mode, ESC cancels the dialog _and_ takes me out of full-screen mode.

Or if I use a mnemonic to pull down a menu while if full-screen mode, I cannot cancel out of the menu without hitting ESC. Again that takes me out of full-screen mode as well.

What does anyone else think?

Just my 2 bits. Eric Pierce

Geoffrey
2003-12-10 01:41:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Eric Pierce wrote:

Excuse the ignorance, although 'full-screen mode' conjures up some thoughts, what exactly is it?

Eric Pierce
2003-12-10 02:27:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

With Gimp 1.3.x, open up an image and hit F11. It'll toggle full-screen mode.

You can also add as many extra goodies (like rulers, status bar, etc.) as you want, or run it w/o anything except the image. Really nice and configurable (check preferences for default full-screen mode settings).

Eric

Eric Pierce wrote:

Excuse the ignorance, although 'full-screen mode' conjures up some thoughts, what exactly is it?

-- Until later, Geoffrey esoteric@3times25.net

Building secure systems inspite of Microsoft

Geoffrey
2003-12-10 02:47:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Eric Pierce wrote:

With Gimp 1.3.x, open up an image and hit F11. It'll toggle full-screen mode.

You can also add as many extra goodies (like rulers, status bar, etc.) as you want, or run it w/o anything except the image. Really nice and configurable (check preferences for default full-screen mode settings).

Sweet, although I'll need to upgrade still at 1.2.5...

Thanks for the info.

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-12-10 03:24:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:12:10PM -0600, Eric Pierce wrote:

However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out of full-screen mode? I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for

Well, ESC has a very low probability of being remapped by e.g. a window manager. F11 is far more often mapped to some wm functionality.

And the basic problem with your approach that I see is that ESC has the perfect meaning for going out of fullscreen mode. It's the thing users naturally try. F11 is about the last key users will try when they want to get out of full-screen mode.

This is important for fullscreen mode because fullscreen mode is often very surprising to users, and they might want to get out.

What does anyone else think?

At least I think it's not perfect that esc cancels both, but esc canceling both is far preferable over using F11 for leaving fullscreen mode. Many users at our instituta have mapped F11 to open a new shell window for example (using the window manager) or move windows, so fullscreen mode would turn out to be an unpleasant trap.

Eric Pierce
2003-12-10 15:28:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:24, pcg@goof.com wrote:

However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out

of

full-screen mode? I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for

Well, ESC has a very low probability of being remapped by e.g. a window manager. F11 is far more often mapped to some wm functionality.

And the basic problem with your approach that I see is that ESC has the perfect meaning for going out of fullscreen mode. It's the thing users naturally try. F11 is about the last key users will try when they want to get out of full-screen mode.

Dejavu perhaps, but can't help myself. F11 became a common toggle for fullscreen mode across browsers. But I know Marc doesn't quite accept an 'everyone else does it' ;).

Yes, Mozilla/Netscape, Opera & IE toggle w/F11. Any others?

In case the fullscreen mode is to become useful for editing too (and I believe that is even more helpful) it shouldn't exit the mode on Esc for the reasons Eric described. Making it a pain for artists using GIMP extensively because it may be confusing to new ocasional users is not the thing to do.

How about this then? If there is a menu/dialog box already open, ESC cancels that item only. If nothing else is open, ESC quits full-screen mode. Both camps are happy, right?

Eric Pierce

Ulf Rompe
2003-12-10 16:56:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

"Eric Pierce" writes:

Dejavu perhaps, but can't help myself. F11 became a common toggle for fullscreen mode across browsers. But I know Marc doesn't quite accept an 'everyone else does it' ;).

Yes, Mozilla/Netscape, Opera & IE toggle w/F11. Any others?

Galeon does it that way, too. Galeon is a Gnome program like GIMP, so it shares the look and feel of Gimp. I like how pressing F11 has the same effect in both programs.

Maybe using ESC for toggling fullscreen mode would be an option for GIMP, but I don't think it would be practicable for every software. F11 is less likely to be used in several GUI elements then ESC.

[x] ulf

Jakub Steiner
2003-12-10 17:02:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:24, pcg@goof.com wrote:

However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out of full-screen mode? I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for

Sven might be arguing the fullscreen mode is there for previewing, I like to edit large images in this mode and I believe that's what Eric enjoyed on the mode too. Esc to exit the fullscreen _preview_ mode makes a perfect sense.

In case the fullscreen mode is to become useful for editing too (and I believe that is even more helpful) it shouldn't exit the mode on Esc for the reasons Eric described. Making it a pain for artists using GIMP extensively because it may be confusing to new ocasional users is not the thing to do.

cheers

Sven Neumann
2003-12-11 12:23:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Ulf Rompe writes:

Maybe using ESC for toggling fullscreen mode would be an option for GIMP, but I don't think it would be practicable for every software. F11 is less likely to be used in several GUI elements then ESC.

Of course F11 toggles the fullscreen mode; that has never been questioned. F11 is also the key suggested by the HIG.

We made Esc also cancel the fullscreen view in order to give users an obvious way to get out of fullscreen mode if they enter it accidentally.

We should try to make sure that dialogs consume the Escape keypress event so that if a dialog is canceled, the full-screen view isn't switched off. A patch would be appreciated.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2003-12-11 13:46:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

the issue's been fixed in CVS:

2003-12-11 Sven Neumann

* app/display/gimpdisplayshell-callbacks.c (gimp_display_shell_events): switch off fullscreen mode on Escape key press events only. The shell should not react on the key release event it gets when a dialog is closed using the Escape key.

Sven