RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The Gimp Foundation news

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The Gimp Foundation news Daniel Rogers 06 Dec 17:59
  The Gimp Foundation news Geoffrey 06 Dec 23:49
   The Gimp Foundation news Daniel Rogers 07 Dec 00:48
    The Gimp Foundation news Geoffrey 07 Dec 02:48
Daniel Rogers
2003-12-06 17:59:13 UTC (over 20 years ago)

The Gimp Foundation news

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi-

So I am almost ready to incorporate The Gimp Foundation. Here are the relevent bits at the moment.

It takes 6 to 9 months after I recieve my articles of incorporation (which takes about a month) to acquire 501(c)3 status. Until then, I can operate the corporation, but money we recieve will not be tax deductable (which only matters for people inside the US). If tax-deductable donations are really important right away, we could get another organization to recieve donations, which they then give to us. This is what The Mozilla Foundation is doing at the moment.

At least half the board of directors must be "disinterested." One is disiterested if he/she is not being directly compensated by the corporation. This means I can be the sole member of the Board, if necessary (but I am by no means suggesting that I should be the only member of the board).

There must be at least two officers. In particular, the president cannot be the same person as the secretary and treasurer. (i.e, the president cannot both be the person in charge, and the person who records the minutes of the board meetings or the person who controls the money).

One can both be a board member and an officer.

Bylaws that define more specific rules about how the corporation will be run, need to be written. This includes things like costs of membership, benefits of membership, defining officers and they responsibilities, defining voting rules. Defining, more specificly, the purposes and goals of the organization, and defining how the bylaws can be changed.

I am still in the process of finding out how invovled non-usians can be in a US corporation.

- --
Dan
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/0grhad4P1+ZAZk0RArUfAJ9s6QhVtGHD5+cMA2audw1C3CVfHgCgnQd2 cr+o5EwB5gXvqGRr6u01EDo=
=vyO1
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Geoffrey
2003-12-06 23:49:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

The Gimp Foundation news

Daniel Rogers wrote:

Hi-

So I am almost ready to incorporate The Gimp Foundation. Here are the relevent bits at the moment.

It takes 6 to 9 months after I recieve my articles of incorporation (which takes about a month) to acquire 501(c)3 status.

It must be different then an S Corp., as it took about 6 months to get my incorporation paperwork.

Daniel Rogers
2003-12-07 00:48:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

The Gimp Foundation news

Geoffrey wrote:

| It must be different then an S Corp., as it took about 6 months to get | my incorporation paperwork.
|

It depends on the state and how much you are willing to pay. They have a tiered pay system here in cali.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/0mrVad4P1+ZAZk0RAk6aAJ9L7v0dhODgzQ6DGzNK91ezEK6D7ACfWX+L XzIP5mpa5kJVvQmJoqHeKtI=
=sHyo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Geoffrey
2003-12-07 02:48:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

The Gimp Foundation news

Daniel Rogers wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:

| It must be different then an S Corp., as it took about 6 months to get | my incorporation paperwork.
|

It depends on the state and how much you are willing to pay. They have a tiered pay system here in cali.

Ah, they do things slower here in the south I've found out. (Georgia...)