RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

unknown software exception

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

unknown software exception Rinke H. 27 Nov 10:01
  unknown software exception Daniel Hornung 27 Nov 13:20
   unknown software exception Rinke H. 27 Nov 15:00
    unknown software exception Rinke H. 08 Dec 21:53
Rinke H.
2008-11-27 10:01:26 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I just installed gimp 2.6 on my windows 2000 machine, but the program is inherently instable and is not able to run longer than 5 seconds before it crashes and disappears. Most of the time it already crashes at startup; if not it crashes as soon as you click a button or menu item.

The error message is always something like "unknow software exception at blah blah blah"

2.4 has the same behaviour, only 2.0 runs without problems.

On my other machine, also windows 2000, gimp 2.6 runs without problems.

Anyone an idea what I can do about it? Is there some error log in the gimp, which I can check on dll's causing the problem?

Daniel Hornung
2008-11-27 13:20:25 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Thursday 27 November 2008, Rinke H. wrote:

I just installed gimp 2.6 on my windows 2000 machine, but the program is inherently instable and is not able to run longer than 5 seconds before it crashes and disappears. Most of the time it already crashes at startup; if not it crashes as soon as you click a button or menu item.

The error message is always something like "unknow software exception at blah blah blah"

2.4 has the same behaviour, only 2.0 runs without problems.

On my other machine, also windows 2000, gimp 2.6 runs without problems.

Anyone an idea what I can do about it? Is there some error log in the gimp, which I can check on dll's causing the problem?

Hi!

If you still have 2.0 or 2.2 there, you probably installed gtk+ separately, which could be in a pretty old version by now. Could you try completely uninstalling the old GIMP and the old GTK+ libraries before installing the current version of GIMP?

Also other people might be able to help further if that error message mentions more details about where exactly the error occurs.

Daniel

Rinke H.
2008-11-27 15:00:44 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for answering.

Could you try completely
uninstalling the old GIMP and the old GTK+ libraries >before installing the

current version of GIMP?

I did. I completely uninstalled the old version before installing the new, including the old GTK+ which indeed has to be un-installed separately.

Also other people might be able to help further if that error message

mentions

more details about where exactly the error occurs.

Yes, it might help me further too :-) Unfortunately, the error message doesn't display further details. Only some hex numbers and the memory location:

unknown software exception (0xc000008e) occurred at location 0x6e953deb

Rinke H.
2008-12-08 21:53:29 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I can't say I'm a newby in computers, but sometimes they keep me wondering if these machines are really so logic as we think.

Well, anyway, I read something about disabling fonts in the gimp via the --no-fonts command line option, and decided to give it a try, if maybe that caused my troubles with gimp.

So I re-installed the gimp for the fifth (or so) time on this machine. Where all previous times I installed this same version (2.6.3) resulted in a big crash within 5 seconds or so, now gimp runs fine on this machine, even before I got the chance to try out this --no-fonts option.

Even thinking about this command line option without even applying it apparantly made my computer change its mind!!

Computers are bizarre machines!