RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files? peter kostov 13 Nov 08:20
  dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files? Andrew 13 Nov 08:27
   dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files? peter kostov 13 Nov 09:39
    dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files? Michael Schumacher 13 Nov 09:53
     dealing with Nikon NEF RAW files? peter kostov 13 Nov 12:48
peter kostov
2008-11-13 08:20:24 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi!

Is there anyone here, who has a Nikon DSLR and is shooting in RAW? If yes - how do you deal with your .NEF images?

On a CD that came with my camera there was a program called 'Picture Project'.
Until recently I used it under Wine and was pretty happy with it. It worked slow, but it allowed me to enter IPTC information, make basic image changes (brightness, black point compensation, sharpen, rotate, crop) - almost everything I need before exporting to TIF. The exported files were with really good quality - one that I can not achieve with Ufraw or other tools. Unfortunately I had to delete my .wine dir and now I can't install Picture Project anymore - it asks for a product key?! How is that I don't know - it used to be a free program... or was it a trial version?
Anyway, this product isn't maintained by Nikon any longer. Now they offer ViewNX, which doesn't work under Wine (installs fine, but crashes when you try to do anything with it). Capture NX requires .NET and is not working too, neither under Wine, nor under Mono or pnet. Is not free either and I don't like to use illegal software.

So now I am in trouble!

I know about Ufraw and I use it, but the results I am achieving with it are not so good as they were with the Nikon utility.

I found this too: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html and thought that I could give the Photoshop "Camera Raw" plug-in a try, but unfortunately this isn't working for me too - I am on Gentoo and in order to compile pspi I need the PhotoshopAPI, which was distributed with Photoshop 6.0 only and as you may guess I don't have it, it is not available on the net anymore too.

I know I could install a virtual machine and a whole Window$ on top of it and and.... no thanks.

Please help!!! How do you deal with this situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Greetings,

Peter

Andrew
2008-11-13 08:27:06 UTC (over 15 years ago)

peter kostov wrote:

Hi!

Is there anyone here, who has a Nikon DSLR and is shooting in RAW? If yes - how do you deal with your .NEF images?

Until recently I used it under Wine and was pretty happy with it. It worked slow, but it allowed me to enter IPTC information, make basic image changes (brightness, black point compensation, sharpen, rotate, crop) - almost everything I need before exporting to TIF. The exported files were with really good quality - one that I can not achieve with Ufraw or other tools. Unfortunately I had to delete my .wine dir and now I can't install Picture Project anymore - it asks for a product key?! How is that I don't know - it used to be a free program... or was it a trial version?
Anyway, this product isn't maintained by Nikon any longer. Now they offer ViewNX, which doesn't work under Wine (installs fine, but crashes when you try to do anything with it). Capture NX requires .NET and is not working too, neither under Wine, nor under Mono or pnet. Is not free either and I don't like to use illegal software.

So now I am in trouble!

I know about Ufraw and I use it, but the results I am achieving with it are not so good as they were with the Nikon utility.

I found this too: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html and thought that I could give the Photoshop "Camera Raw" plug-in a try, but unfortunately this isn't working for me too - I am on Gentoo and in order to compile pspi I need the PhotoshopAPI, which was distributed with Photoshop 6.0 only and as you may guess I don't have it, it is not available on the net anymore too.

I know I could install a virtual machine and a whole Window$ on top of it and and.... no thanks.

Greetings,

Peter

peter kostov
2008-11-13 09:39:37 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Andrew wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi!

So now I am in trouble!

Greetings,

Peter

Michael Schumacher
2008-11-13 09:53:46 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Von: peter kostov

I have tried Rawstudio, but it gave me bad results, al least with NEF files.
I din't knew about Rawtherapee, I will try it. But as I see it is based on DCraw for reading the input file. As far as I know DCraw and Ufraw are very similar, so this solution is maybe similar to using Ufraw as Gimp plug-in, but I will not talk anymore until I try it for real.

A promising approach would be to get in contact with the authors of these programs and tell them about your problems, then the might be able to help you with better settings or you might be able to help them to improve their software.

And please, do cut down the mails you're quoting to the parts you're referring to.

HTH, Michael

peter kostov
2008-11-13 12:48:20 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Von: peter kostov

A promising approach would be to get in contact with the authors of these programs and tell them about your problems, then the might be able to help you with better settings or you might be able to help them to improve their software.

I will do this as soon as I have something that might really help them. But we are dealing here with a proprietary format and this is the main problem.

And please, do cut down the mails you're quoting to the parts you're referring to.

O.K., I will.

Peter

HTH,
Michael