RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can gimp run on external hard drive?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can gimp run on external hard drive? Sarah Lee 01 Sep 23:34
  Can gimp run on external hard drive? Ray Redd 01 Sep 23:46
Can gimp run on external hard drive? Bob Long 02 Sep 00:37
mailman.1.1220382011.1345.g... 07 Oct 20:19
  Can gimp run on external hard drive? Bernd Weber 03 Sep 00:18
   Can gimp run on external hard drive? Michael Schumacher 03 Sep 00:55
   Can gimp run on external hard drive? Bob Meetin 03 Sep 00:59
   Can gimp run on external hard drive? Kevin Cozens 10 Sep 18:00
Sarah Lee
2008-09-01 23:34:42 UTC (over 15 years ago)

So that's my question in a nutshell.  I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week.  My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers.  Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory?  The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference.  Thanks Sarah Lee

Ray Redd
2008-09-01 23:46:44 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Subject: [Gimp-user] Can gimp run on external hard drive? Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

So that's my question in a nutshell.  I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week.  My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers.  Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory?  The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference.  Thanks Sarah Lee

What operating system are you running? Is it the same on all computers? It's probably possible with any operating system, but the howto is different for each one.

Bob Long
2008-09-02 00:37:14 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sarah Lee wrote:

So that's my question in a nutshell. I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week. My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers. Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory? The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference. Thanks Sarah Lee

For Windows, http://portableapps.com/

Bernd Weber
2008-09-03 00:18:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I had a look on portableapps.con. Gimp is not listed there, so I don't think that it would really be a solution for your Problem.

If you run the setup of GIMP on Windows you will be asked where to install your program. You can choose a folder on the external hard-drive. On one computer it may be F: on the other E: or whatsoever. On the computer where you installed the GIMP it will be in the registry, on the others not.

But of course you can run GIMP from other Computers, too. You only will have to look for the executable. There might be some problems with Paths. You will have to figure it out.

On LINUX it wouldn't be so complicated (for gimp userst), afterwords. But you will have to build GIMP from the sources, where you can give the prefix for the installation PATH. On some distributions am USB-Hard-drive gets the same PATH-name though it may be /dev/sdc1 one time and /dev/sdb1 the next time -- known as /media/disk, for example.

As it isn't a standard installation you will have to experiment a little bit to find out which way is the best for you.

Of course you only can run a windows-installation on windows-PCs and a LINUX-Installation on LINUX. I am not sure if GIMP installed with XP runs on Vista, for example or vice versa. Just try and have a lot of fun.

Bernd

So that's my question in a nutshell.? I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week.? My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers.? Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory?? The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference.? Thanks Sarah Lee -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-user/attachments/20080901/afe7f4cc/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 3 Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:46:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Ray Redd
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can gimp run on external hard drive? To: crazycluck13@yahoo.com
Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: Text/Plain; charset=iso-8859-1

From: Sarah Lee Subject: [Gimp-user] Can gimp run on external hard drive? Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

So that's my question in a nutshell.? I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week.? My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers.? Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory?? The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference.? Thanks Sarah Lee

What operating system are you running? Is it the same on all computers? It's probably possible with any operating system, but the howto is different for each one.

------------------------------

Message: 4 Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:37:14 +1000 From: "Bob Long"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Can gimp run on external hard drive? To:
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original

Sarah Lee wrote:

So that's my question in a nutshell. I will be getting a new external hard drive later this week. My father and some friends told me that some programs can run off of an external hard drive so that you can use the same program on multiple computers without having to install the program on all computers. Does anyone know if this is possible with gimp or does it use too many resources and memory? The hard drive will be 250 gb if that makes a difference. Thanks Sarah Lee

For Windows, http://portableapps.com/

Michael Schumacher
2008-09-03 00:55:45 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Bernd Weber wrote:

I had a look on portableapps.con. Gimp is not listed there

It is. Currently even in the "What's new" box on the main page.

HTH, Michael

Bob Meetin
2008-09-03 00:59:16 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Kevin Cozens
2008-09-10 18:00:07 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Bernd Weber wrote:

I had a look on portableapps.con. Gimp is not listed there, so I don't think that it would really be a solution for your Problem.

GIMP is the only program listed on the Applications page of portableapps.com Graphics & Pictures category. I have had GIMP on one of my memory sticks for some time. I recently booted to Windows to discover that I can update the portable version on my memory stick to the 2.4.7 version of GIMP.