RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

select at 0,0 + px to mm

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

select at 0,0 + px to mm David selby 31 Aug 19:56
  select at 0,0 + px to mm Jakub Steiner 02 Sep 23:24
  select at 0,0 + px to mm Joao S. O. Bueno 02 Sep 23:35
   select at 0,0 + px to mm David selby 03 Sep 22:02
  select at 0,0 + px to mm Sven Neumann 03 Sep 00:09
   select at 0,0 + px to mm David selby 03 Sep 22:01
select at 0,0 + px to mm David selby 01 Sep 19:41
  select at 0,0 + px to mm Jeff Trefftzs 03 Sep 02:10
   select at 0,0 + px to mm Sven Neumann 05 Sep 00:38
    select at 0,0 + px to mm Jeff Trefftzs 05 Sep 01:24
     select at 0,0 + px to mm David selby 07 Sep 05:05
David selby
2003-08-31 19:56:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

I am getting the hang of Gimp1.2. I use it mainly to print out speciality cards via my inkjet.
When I start a fresh "canvas" I can and do define it in mm, set the dpi & off I go. My questions are

1. Is there an easy way to move selections to the exact edge of the canvas ? I end up zooming in and twitching the mouse till I get 0,0. Is there a quicker way ?

2. Is there a way to get the measure tool to read out in mm, I have to convert from px with a calculator.

Many thanks Dave

David selby
2003-09-01 19:41:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

I am getting the hang of Gimp1.2. I use it mainly to print out speciality cards via my inkjet.
When I start a fresh "canvas" I can and do define it in mm, set the dpi & off I go. My questions are

1. Is there an easy way to move selections to the exact edge of the canvas ? I end up zooming in and twitching the mouse till I get 0,0. Is there a quicker way ?

2. Is there a way to get the measure tool to read out in mm, I have to convert from px with a calculator.

Many thanks Dave

Jakub Steiner
2003-09-02 23:24:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 19:56, David selby wrote:

Selections won't go outside canvas, so you can start the selection on the canvas border to get it from 0,0. Just enlarge the image window to see some of the canvas margin and start the selection in the upper left conner margin.

In 1.3 there is a neat grid system to help you with perfect-positioning selections. In 1.2 you can try using the guidelines.

It looks like this functionality is missing. I have filed it as an enhancement bug #121294.

cheers

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-09-02 23:35:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

On Sunday 31 August 2003 2:56 pm, David selby wrote:

Yes. You can place guides at 0 X and 0 Y coordinates. To use guides, just click on the rulers at the window margin, and drag the guides to your image. The default behaviour for object placement is snap to these guides.

No, there is not. However, I think it is still feasible for 2.0. I just wonder if anyone has asked for this enhancemnet on bugzilla...

Many thanks
Dave

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Sven Neumann
2003-09-03 00:09:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

Hi,

David selby writes:

If you look at the image in real-world size, that is "Dot for Dot" switched off in the View menu, all distances are reported in the image's unit instead of in pixels. If you prefer this mode, you can make it the default in the Preferences dialog.

Sven

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-09-03 02:10:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 10:41, David selby wrote:

Here's a script to do what you want, I think. Just copy it into your ~/.gimp-1.2/scripts directory, refresh the script-fu collection (Toolbox/Xtns/Script-Fu/Refresh) and you're ready to go. You'll find the script in Image/Script-Fu/Utilities.

---------- cut here -------------- ;;;
;;; precision-select.scm
;;;
;;;
;;; Jeff Trefftzs

;;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify ;;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by ;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or ;;; (at your option) any later version. ;;;
;;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, ;;; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of ;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the ;;; GNU General Public License for more details. ;;;
;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License ;;; along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software ;;; Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

;;; Define the function:

(define (script-fu-precision-select inImage inLayer inXorig inYorig
inWidth inHeight)

(gimp-rect-select inImage inXorig inYorig
inWidth inHeight
REPLACE
FALSE ; No feathering
0)

(gimp-displays-flush) )

(script-fu-register
"script-fu-precision-select"
_"/Script-Fu/Utils/Precision Selection" "Precision select carefully places a rectangular selection\ of the user-specified size at the user-specified coordinates.\ I decided this would be useful after trying for the nth time\ to select just the square front of a CD cover." "Jeff Trefftzs"
"Copyright 2002, Jeff Trefftzs"
"January 11, 2002"
"RGB* GRAY* INDEXED*"
SF-IMAGE "The Image" 0
SF-DRAWABLE "The Layer" 0
SF-ADJUSTMENT "X origin" '(0 0 9999 1 10 0 1) SF-ADJUSTMENT "Y origin" '(0 0 9999 1 10 0 1) SF-ADJUSTMENT "Width" '(0 0 9999 1 10 0 1) SF-ADJUSTMENT "Height" '(0 0 9999 1 10 0 1) )
--------- cut here ----------

David selby
2003-09-03 22:01:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

David selby writes:

If you look at the image in real-world size, that is "Dot for Dot" switched off in the View menu, all distances are reported in the image's unit instead of in pixels. If you prefer this mode, you can make it the default in the Preferences dialog.

Sven

Thats great, thanks

Dave

David selby
2003-09-03 22:02:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Sunday 31 August 2003 2:56 pm, David selby wrote:

Yes. You can place guides at 0 X and 0 Y coordinates. To use guides, just click on the rulers at the window margin, and drag the guides to your image. The default behaviour for object placement is snap to these guides.

No, there is not. However, I think it is still feasible for 2.0. I just wonder if anyone has asked for this enhancemnet on bugzilla...

Many thanks
Dave

Sven Neumann
2003-09-05 00:38:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

Hi,

you are aware that you can set a fixed size or aspect ratio in the rectangular selection tool-options? Just a hint, your script is surely useful for special cases.

Sven

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-09-05 01:24:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:38, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

you are aware that you can set a fixed size or aspect ratio in the rectangular selection tool-options? Just a hint, your script is surely useful for special cases.

If I remember correctly, I had a project where I needed to keep anchoring selections at the same coordinates. I don't think I've used this script since.

--
Jeff

David selby
2003-09-07 05:05:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

select at 0,0 + px to mm

Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:38, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

If I remember correctly, I had a project where I needed to keep anchoring selections at the same coordinates. I don't think I've used this script since.

--
Jeff