RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

plug_in_flush mysterious warning

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

plug_in_flush mysterious warning Aurimas Juška 13 Jul 13:50
  plug_in_flush mysterious warning Sven Neumann 16 Jul 17:16
   plug_in_flush mysterious warning Aurimas Juška 19 Jul 11:33
    plug_in_flush mysterious warning Aurimas Juška 20 Jul 11:29
     plug_in_flush mysterious warning Sven Neumann 20 Jul 13:03
Aurimas Juška
2007-07-13 13:50:12 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

While testing my plug-in I noticed, that after quiting the plug-in The Gimp *usually* (but sometimes not, not depending on what you do) prints something like that: plug_in_flush(): broken pipe. It seems The Gimp wants to communicate with the plug-in after it's process has terminated. I added g_usleep () right before quiting in order to give The Gimp some time to finish some work. The warning doesn't appear any more.

Is it a bug or something?

Test case can be http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=8799 .

Sven Neumann
2007-07-16 17:16:23 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 14:50 +0300, Aurimas Juška wrote:

While testing my plug-in I noticed, that after quiting the plug-in The Gimp *usually* (but sometimes not, not depending on what you do) prints something like that: plug_in_flush(): broken pipe. It seems The Gimp wants to communicate with the plug-in after it's process has terminated. I added g_usleep () right before quiting in order to give The Gimp some time to finish some work. The warning doesn't appear any more.

Do other plug-ins show the same behavior for you? This sounds like a bug in your plug-in. Is there perhaps an idle handler or a timeout still running?

That's quite a lot of code for a test case which makes it hard to say whether it's a problem in libgimp or in your code.

Sven

Aurimas Juška
2007-07-19 11:33:40 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 7/16/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 14:50 +0300, Aurimas Juška wrote:

Do other plug-ins show the same behavior for you? This sounds like a bug in your plug-in. Is there perhaps an idle handler or a timeout still running?

Yes, it's proly a bug in my plug-in, but not an easy to find, though. Timeout handler was running, but it shouldn't be calling anything gimp_*. I made it to quit after processing, but nothing has changed. Debugging has showed, that The Gimp receives G_IO_HUP (broken pipe). After that wants to kill plug-in, on the way sending it a quit message through the same broken pipe (that's where the warning comes from). What could cause a pipe to broken if plug-in doesn't crash?

That's quite a lot of code for a test case which makes it hard to say whether it's a problem in libgimp or in your code.

It's hard to expect that someone could find time for that. But if someone decides to check, this would envolve commenting g_usleep() in src/webx_main.c to reproduce.

Aurimas Juška
2007-07-20 11:29:54 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

I used to add GimpProgressbar in order to stop showing progress of temporary processing in image window (it was just created to capture progress events but not shown). Removing it seems to make the problem disappear. Is there any other way I could hide those temporary messages?

Sven Neumann
2007-07-20 13:03:41 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 12:29 +0300, Aurimas Juška wrote:

I used to add GimpProgressbar in order to stop showing progress of temporary processing in image window (it was just created to capture progress events but not shown). Removing it seems to make the problem disappear. Is there any other way I could hide those temporary messages?

If you can make a simple test case we can surely fix the problem, whether it is in the test case or in libgimp.

Sven