RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

input configuration

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

input configuration gg@catking.net 21 Jun 09:09
  input configuration Sven Neumann 21 Jun 09:33
   input configuration gg@catking.net 21 Jun 09:58
gg@catking.net
2007-06-21 09:09:48 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

input configuration

Hi,

just doing a fresh config of mouse scroll and I note a few changes that are worth a comment.

1/ I set up mouse scroll to zoom in and out and exited. I get the following helpful msg:

You will have to restart GIMP for the following changes to take effect:

temp-path swap-path

The problem is I did not change either of those settings. So is this a false alert since nothing was changed or has gimp changed this itself and is rightly warning me about a change that should not be happening? I suspect it's the former.

2/ This is long standing not new. It is very unobvious how to adjust these settings on the interface, it gets me every time. I knew I was in the right place and that I could do it but the "notepad" icon does not communicate the idea of a configuration action , it suggests text editor. Finally by floating the mouse around I get the tool tip which is clear and helpful.

The classic metaphor for config settings is some sort of spanner or screwdriver icon. This would be a lot clearer. I'm sure there's one already in gimp that could be used. The caption should probably be "configure" as is contained in the tool tip and the title of the dlg that follows.

3/ Same comment for the "Configure Input Control" dialogue. A spanner type icon with a caption of "modifiy" rather then "edit".

Small points that dont take much effort to change and ease the path for the user. Since there is a major effort on UI improvement with Peter's work this seems like a good time to bring these points up.

/gg

Sven Neumann
2007-06-21 09:33:15 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

input configuration

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:09 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

1/ I set up mouse scroll to zoom in and out and exited. I get the following helpful msg:

temp-path swap-path

That's a bug in the preferences dialog that still needs to be tracked down and fixed. Not quite sure what is causing it. I suspect that something is broken about the file-chooser buttons that are used to configure these settings.

2/ This is long standing not new. It is very unobvious how to adjust these settings on the interface, it gets me every time. I knew I was in the right place and that I could do it but the "notepad" icon does not communicate the idea of a configuration action , it suggests text editor. Finally by floating the mouse around I get the tool tip which is clear and helpful.

The classic metaphor for config settings is some sort of spanner or screwdriver icon. This would be a lot clearer. I'm sure there's one already in gimp that could be used. The caption should probably be "configure" as is contained in the tool tip and the title of the dlg that follows.

The thing is that the Edit button used here is common all over the GIMP user interface. Editing an input controller is like editing a brush and the same widget is being used here.

But yes, it would be easy to change this icon. If we had a better icon for it. We could use GTK_STOCK_PREFERENCES but somehow it feels that "Preferences" is even more of an abuse than "Edit".

No one is really proud of the user interface for Input configuration, that's why it is still undergoing changes. However it's a lot better than it used to be. And not long ago you had to edit a config file manually.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-06-21 09:58:40 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

input configuration

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:33:15 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:09 +0200, gg@catking.net wrote:

temp-path swap-path

That's a bug in the preferences dialog that still needs to be tracked down and fixed. Not quite sure what is causing it. I suspect that something is broken about the file-chooser buttons that are used to configure these settings.

2/ This is long standing not new. It is very unobvious how to adjust these
settings on the interface, it gets me every time. I knew I was in the right place and that I could do it but the "notepad" icon does not communicate the idea of a configuration action , it suggests text editor.
Finally by floating the mouse around I get the tool tip which is clear and
helpful.

The classic metaphor for config settings is some sort of spanner or screwdriver icon. This would be a lot clearer. I'm sure there's one already in gimp that could be used. The caption should probably be "configure" as is contained in the tool tip and the title of the dlg that
follows.

The thing is that the Edit button used here is common all over the GIMP user interface. Editing an input controller is like editing a brush and the same widget is being used here.

What's the widget you refer to? Is it just the button or is there a whole bunch of behaviour tied in as well?

But yes, it would be easy to change this icon. If we had a better icon for it. We could use GTK_STOCK_PREFERENCES but somehow it feels that "Preferences" is even more of an abuse than "Edit".

hmm if that's the icon on File | Preferences I find that even more obscure, maybe a new icon is needed.

No one is really proud of the user interface for Input configuration, that's why it is still undergoing changes. However it's a lot better than it used to be. And not long ago you had to edit a config file manually.

Yes in general it's pretty fully featured but I'm sure Peter could do wonders streamlining it.

I'd suspected that the use of edit was a subconcious carry over from an early time when this was actually and edit process.

I take it there's no complications to changing the caption on the button in the dlg. Am I right in thinking these icons are just different scale renditions saved as different files?

thx

/gg