RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help - gimp-plugin-template development on olderLinux.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help - gimp-plugin-template development on older Linux. G Bulmer 01 May 04:28
Help - gimp-plugin-template development on olderLinux. William Skaggs 01 May 18:38
Help - gimp-plugin-template development on olderLinux. G Bulmer 02 May 02:17
G Bulmer
2007-05-01 04:28:24 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Help - gimp-plugin-template development on older Linux.

Chaps,

I am attempting to write a gimp plugin to 'bridge' between the gimp and a 3rd party piece of technology, under Linux.

I'm new to writing gimp plugins, but I believe I can write a 'shim' between a plugin 'shell' and the other technology. I believe I understand it, and a plugin is a good architecture for this project (I don't think I need to be more intimately connected to the gimp yet).
As part of an initial 'proof of concept' I need to build a simplified, but representative, gimp-plugin bridge.

My users need to stay with their currently deployed versions of software including the gimp (2.0.5) (and glib2=2.4.7 gtk2=2.4.13) if possible. So, I believe I need to try to work with the installed version of the gimp and libraries.

I have tried to install the current (2.2) version of gimp-plugin- template, into a matching environment, but configure demands newer versions of glib2 and gtk2 than the system has installed.

My options seem to be: A. get a version of gimp-plugin-template that is compatible with the gimp 2.0.5 and libraries.
I have googled furiously, visited archives and mirrors, and failed to find a 2.0 gimp-plugin-template version. Is their a 'magic place' I should go? or B. beat gimp-plugin-template-2.2 configure into submission; I could butcher the checks and force an install with the current (slightly old) versions of glib2 and gtk2, then hope that a 2.2 gimp-plugin-template + my 'shim' code will be fine, or
C. avoid using the gimp-plugin-template; this sounds like: "get the source of the gimp 2.0.5, and hack the source, configure, Makefiles, ... etc." (this sounds like a steeper slope to me), or D. Force an upgrade to the gimp 2.2
(I wondered, is their is a simple reason for the lack of a 2.0 plugin template?),
this has a risk that it may reduce the number of people interested in the project, or
E. follow your better suggestions.

Please, will you help me with some advice or pointers to documents or resources?

I should add, this is quite speculative, so I can't spend more than a few weeks on a proof of concept; so nothing too esoteric or arduous, please ;-)

I am not a Linux expert (I am an old UNIX & C guy, so I can find my way around :-), and I'm new to gimp development. I have googled and read archives, but I've failed to identify a good approach, so I apologise if you feel I am re-asking a well answered or obvious question.
Please just point me in a reasonable direction, and I'll have a go.

Thanks in advance GB

PS - If the PoC project shows promise, I think several of you may be interested in the results too.

William Skaggs
2007-05-01 18:38:51 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I am attempting to write a gimp plugin to 'bridge' between the gimp and a 3rd party piece of technology, under Linux.

[...]

My users need to stay with their currently deployed versions of software including the gimp (2.0.5) [...]

If the code for your plugin will fit into a single C file, it is a lot simpler to build and install it using the "gimptool-2.0 --install" command. As a framework for such a plug-in, you could start with pretty much anything in plug-ins/common in the GIMP source code -- you have to remove a few lines involving internationalization to get a plug-in to compile using "gimptool --install", but it isn't very difficult.

Also, you can find quite a number of plug-ins in the registry (registry.gimp.org) that are specifically written for GIMP 2.0, if you want a better starting point. Many are single-file plug-ins that you install using gimptool, but a few are more complex.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

G Bulmer
2007-05-02 02:17:21 UTC (about 17 years ago)

[...]

My users need to stay with their currently deployed versions of software including the gimp (2.0.5) [...]

If the code for your plugin will fit into a single C file, it is a lot simpler to build and install it using the "gimptool-2.0