RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Subsampling Chroma in the Compressed Domian.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Subsampling Chroma in the Compressed Domian. Azhar Aga 12 Apr 06:59
  Subsampling Chroma in the Compressed Domian. Loren Merritt 13 Apr 03:57
Azhar Aga
2007-04-12 06:59:42 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi ,
Can any one tell me whether it is possible to sub-sample the Chroma in a Compressed Image Format like JPEG. What I mean is that if a JPEG file is say 4:4:4 Can I subsample the Chroma to 4:2:2 whithout actually decoding the Image i.e in the Compressed domain. Azhar

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Loren Merritt
2007-04-13 03:57:07 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Azhar Aga wrote:

Can any one tell me whether it is possible to sub-sample the Chroma in a Compressed Image Format like JPEG. What I mean is that if a JPEG file is say 4:4:4 Can I subsample the Chroma to 4:2:2 whithout actually decoding the Image i.e in the Compressed domain.

JPEG uses only 8x8 DCT. While you can downscale just by dropping some coefficients, that leaves you with 8x4 or 4x4 DCTs. To put the result into another JPEG you need to regroup the coefficients, compute an 8x8 DCT, and requantize.
Potential shortcuts:
If you only subsample in 1 dimension (4:4:4->4:2:2 or 4:2:2->4:2:0), then you can perform only a 1 dimensional iDCT + DCT. I think it's possible to convert two 4-point DCT blocks into one 8-point DCT in fewer operations than a full iDCT + DCT. And of course you can leave luma in the compressed domain.

--Loren Merritt