RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

transformation drift [was: preview window does not work]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

29 of 31 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

preview window does not work Luis A. Florit 06 Mar 18:16
  preview window does not work Manfred Joerg 06 Mar 19:13
  preview window does not work Sven Neumann 06 Mar 20:37
   preview window does not work Luis A. Florit 07 Mar 03:04
    preview window does not work Sven Neumann 07 Mar 08:53
     preview window does not work gg@catking.net 07 Mar 09:55
      preview window does not work Sven Neumann 07 Mar 10:02
       preview window does not work gg@catking.net 07 Mar 11:03
        preview window does not work Sven Neumann 07 Mar 21:02
     preview window does not work gg@catking.net 07 Mar 10:52
      preview window does not work Sven Neumann 07 Mar 21:05
       transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] Sven Neumann 08 Mar 08:45
        transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] David Gowers 08 Mar 11:54
         transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] gg@catking.net 08 Mar 20:10
preview window does not work Luis A. Florit 08 Mar 23:13
  preview window does not work saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 09 Mar 05:31
   preview window does not work gg@catking.net 09 Mar 07:39
  preview window does not work gg@catking.net 09 Mar 08:08
   preview window does not work Sven Neumann 09 Mar 08:36
    preview window does not work gg@catking.net 09 Mar 12:30
  preview window does not work Sven Neumann 09 Mar 08:46
preview window does not work William Skaggs 09 Mar 16:47
preview window does not work Luis A. Florit 09 Mar 20:53
op.touiasvtfx0war@mail.pime... 07 Oct 20:25
  preview window does not work Luis A. Florit 08 Mar 02:18
   preview window does not work Sven Neumann 08 Mar 08:37
op.tou3ydt7fx0war@mail.pime... 07 Oct 20:25
  transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] Sven Neumann 09 Mar 09:07
   transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] Sven Neumann 10 Mar 21:24
    transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] gg@catking.net 10 Mar 23:52
   transformation drift [was: preview window does not work] gg@catking.net 11 Mar 23:08
Luis A. Florit
2007-03-06 18:16:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

preview window does not work

Pals,

I made my first plugin in C for gimp, based on the one here:

http://developer.gimp.org/writing-a-plug-in/3/index.html

Unfortunately, this plugin has several bugs, that translated to my own, and I am not being able to detect them (is there any other source like the avove to get some base plugin to work on?) Sorry for the not very objetive question:

The preview window updates when I change the parameters, but only in the top-left corner, where the preview appears. In the rest, it updates with some previous data, or some garbage. When I run the plugin for the second time, it is ok. That is, there is some buffer that is not being freed... Should I clean the region after a gimp_pixel_rgn_init call? Sometimes this also occurs on the main window.

Thanks,

Luis

Manfred Joerg
2007-03-06 19:13:40 UTC (about 17 years ago)

I suggest to read the book "Beginning Gimp" written by Akkana Peck. Data structures aren't cleared automatically. You have to clear them yourself. Otherwise you have random garbage in your picture. This can happen but it mustn't happen always.

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 18:16, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Pals,

I made my first plugin in C for gimp, based on the one here:

Unfortunately, this plugin has several bugs, that translated to my own, and I am not being able to detect them (is there any other source like the avove to get some base plugin to work on?) Sorry for the not very objetive question:

The preview window updates when I change the parameters, but only in the top-left corner, where the preview appears. In the rest, it updates with some previous data, or some garbage. When I run the plugin for the second time, it is ok. That is, there is some buffer that is not being freed... Should I clean the region after a gimp_pixel_rgn_init call? Sometimes this also occurs on the main window.

Thanks,

Luis

Sven Neumann
2007-03-06 20:37:57 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 14:16 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Unfortunately, this plugin has several bugs

If you can point out bugs in the tutorial, we would love to hear about them so that they can be corrected. What exactly do you think is incorrect?

Sven

Luis A. Florit
2007-03-07 03:04:52 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Pals,

I managed to correct the problem in my code (but see below). Thanks for the suggestions.

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 14:16 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Unfortunately, this plugin has several bugs

If you can point out bugs in the tutorial, we would love to hear about them so that they can be corrected. What exactly do you think is incorrect?

About the bugs I found, I will refer to the code in:

http://developer.gimp.org/writing-a-plug-in/3/myblur5.c

that is linked in

These are the bugs I can remember now. Probably some of these are not bugs... apologies then.

1) The bottom bar of the main window becomes blue when the dialog appears.

2) The function process_row does not use the last parameter i.

3) Ok, this is the serious one: The whole blurred region is shifted 1 pixel down. To check this, create a new white image with a single black pixel in the middle, and blur it with radius=1. Go back and forth and you will see the 3x3 gray square shifting down. I think this is due to the effect of the 'shuffle' function (isn't any better way than to use this function??).

The 'solution' I found was to replace line 241:

x1, y1,

with

x1, y1+1,

But it is not a real solution since the last line of a selection is blurred taking into account the next one, that does not belong to the selection.

Thanks!

Luis.

Sven Neumann
2007-03-07 08:53:34 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 23:04 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

These are the bugs I can remember now. Probably some of these are not bugs... apologies then.

1) The bottom bar of the main window becomes blue when the dialog appears.

Looks like progress handling needs to be improved in the plug-in. It shouldn't call gimp_progress_set_value() when drawing a preview.

2) The function process_row does not use the last parameter i.

How is that a problem?

3) Ok, this is the serious one: The whole blurred region is shifted 1 pixel down. To check this, create a new white image with a single black pixel in the middle, and blur it with radius=1. Go back and forth and you will see the 3x3 gray square shifting down.

Again, how is that a problem? This example code is meant to illustrate some concepts of GIMP plug-in development, in particular how to add a preview to your plug-in window. It is not meant to perform any useful image manipulation.

It would be nice though if someone could have a look at the tutorial and update the example code. The user interface looks somewhat outdated as the code originates back to gimp 2.0. We could probably improve the look and feel of third-party plug-ins if we made sure that the example code on developer.gimp.org serves as a good example.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-03-07 09:55:05 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:53:34 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

3) Ok, this is the serious one: The whole blurred region is shifted 1 pixel down. To check this, create a new white image with a single black pixel in the middle, and blur it with radius=1. Go back and forth and you will see the 3x3 gray square shifting down.

Again, how is that a problem? This example code is meant to illustrate some concepts of GIMP plug-in development, in particular how to add a preview to your plug-in window. It is not meant to perform any useful image manipulation.

How is it a problem that there are these small and varying offsets all the way through gimp?

I suspect this is not so much a bug in the example code, which as you say is just an example, but in gimp itself.

I have already submitted bugs comments indicatiing significant drift in scaling with NONE interpolation, there is residual drift in lanczos that I dont believe comes from the scaling code , there are fiddle factors to correct offsets in a number of areas.

Rather than dismissing this report, it may serve as a useful means of triangulating to find the root cause of some of these drifts.

If scaling, rotation and now plugins show drift it should help eliminate the superficial code and enable tracking this back to the problems in the core.

This is only gut feeling on my part but it seems that the evidence is mount to confirm what I suggested six mounths ago when I first started looking at lanczos.

Thanks to Luis for taking the time to notify the apparent error.

gg

Sven Neumann
2007-03-07 10:02:38 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 09:55 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

How is it a problem that there are these small and varying offsets all the way through gimp?

I suspect this is not so much a bug in the example code, which as you say is just an example, but in gimp itself.

If you can point out how this can be a bug in gimp itself, I would love to hear about it. We have several hundreds of plug-ins that work correctly so it is rather unlikely that there's a bug in the core or libgimp that would be responsible for this offset.

The fact that there's an offset here and a drift in the transform code in the core is pure coincidence. I wonder what makes you think that there's a relation. Off-by-one and rounding errors are not uncommon and they happen all over the place.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-03-07 10:52:27 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:53:34 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

PS.

Blur off the menu does not seem to reproduce this. So either its a buggy example as Svan suggests or a drift in the plugin interface.

A quick check on rotation shows 1px drift in x and y. Create a 20x20 and a 21x21 canvas put a pencil tool (11 circle) spot and rotate 90 degrees about the centre of the dot. Preview gets it right but it moves when committed. Also odd effects around borders

The offsets seem to be independant of interp method.

A non-exhaustive check on on scaling seems not to show this offset but like I said I found I had to add fiddle factors to achieve this. I added some comments to code to attempt to explain what was happening but it was a bit hand wavy. My belief is that I am applying a correction to an offset coming from outside the scaling code.

gg.

gg@catking.net
2007-03-07 11:03:24 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:02:38 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 09:55 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

How is it a problem that there are these small and varying offsets all the
way through gimp?

I suspect this is not so much a bug in the example code, which as you say
is just an example, but in gimp itself.

If you can point out how this can be a bug in gimp itself, I would love to hear about it. We have several hundreds of plug-ins that work correctly so it is rather unlikely that there's a bug in the core or libgimp that would be responsible for this offset.

OK, then you're probably right , it's a buggy eg. and it would be best to give examples the work correcly to get ppl off to a good start.

The fact that there's an offset here and a drift in the transform code in the core is pure coincidence. I wonder what makes you think that there's a relation. Off-by-one and rounding errors are not uncommon and they happen all over the place.

Sven

Obviously rounding errors are unavoidable when doing everything in integer arithmatic although I think quite a bit could be done to reduce the accumulation of errors.

However I was seeing a more significant offset on NONE that I detailed when I split the "lancos offset" bug (principally for this reason).

gg

Sven Neumann
2007-03-07 21:02:52 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 11:03 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

OK, then you're probably right , it's a buggy eg. and it would be best to give examples the work correcly to get ppl off to a good start.

I already fixed the wrong use of gimp_progress_set_value() this morning. If someone wants to look into fixing or improving the examples and/or the tutorial, please do so. The code is found in the gimp-web-devel SVN module.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-03-07 21:05:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 10:52 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

A quick check on rotation shows 1px drift in x and y. Create a 20x20 and a 21x21 canvas put a pencil tool (11 circle) spot and rotate 90 degrees about the centre of the dot. Preview gets it right but it moves when committed. Also odd effects around borders

The offsets seem to be independant of interp method.

If you rotate by exactly 90 degrees, this is always done with INTERPOLATION_NONE, no matter what you select in the tool options.

Sven

Luis A. Florit
2007-03-08 02:18:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

* El 08/03/07 a las 1:57, peter@piments.com chamullaba:

In general just try to keep cool. You are perfectly right in complaining about being lead astray by a bad code example and in your place I would be equally pissed off about the time I had wasted. I'm sure dismissive comments don't to much to releave the frustration either. Hopefully your comments will lead to some corrections being made.

This was not the problem: I didn't complain about bugs, I looked for an answer to a bug in my code that I finally found. I didn't want to send any bug report for such a thing.

What pissed me off was that I was requested to send a bug report, and when I sent it, the same guy answered that it was ok the code to have bugs since it was for demo purposes only!

BTW, I believe that this is one of the main reasons why Fedora is weakening fast: unattended bugs that are leading to an OS so full of bugs that people are simply abandoning it. That is sad, and certainly not good for Linux.

Dont worry too much about the LibGimp-CRITICAL message. I am getting that as well, you are running a development version, presumably current svn, expect some errors and messages.

My plugin is working fine, after I found my bug and the one in the blur example. It's just annoying.

Thanks,

Luis.

Sven Neumann
2007-03-08 08:37:17 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:18 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

My plugin is working fine, after I found my bug and the one in the blur example. It's just annoying.

Then please explain the bug in the example code and send us a patch (preferably against SVN) that we can apply so that others won't run into the problem again.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp-web-devel/trunk/writing-a-plug-in/

You should realize that this is all just volunteers effort. Someone wrote this tutorial years ago and another volunteer added it to the gimp-developer web site. It will take another volunteer to improve it and to fix the example code. And yet even more volunteers will have to show up in the future to keep the tutorial uptodate.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-03-08 08:45:46 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

If you rotate by exactly 90 degrees, this is always done with INTERPOLATION_NONE, no matter what you select in the tool options.

Perhaps this is the culprit? An offset seems unavoidable if the transformation is performed without interpolation. So perhaps all we need to do is to remove this optimization (which is supposed to speed up rotations by multiple of 90 degrees)?

Peter, can you try to remove that code in app/core/gimp-transform-region.c (line 208 and 209) and check if that fixes your test case?

Sven

David Gowers
2007-03-08 11:54:25 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 3/8/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps this is the culprit? An offset seems unavoidable if the transformation is performed without interpolation. So perhaps all we need to do is to remove this optimization (which is supposed to speed up rotations by multiple of 90 degrees)?

BTW, do you think the rotation centre should be snapped to 0.5 pixel increments when interpolation is NONE? It doesn't make sense to have any more precision at that point (and can introduce glitches -- for instance, try floating a rectangular region, then dragging the rotation centre to the top left as precisely as you can, setting it to rotate 90 degrees, and performing the rotation... -- compared to inputting the coordinates of the top left yourself and then performing the 90 degree rotation. In the first case, even fractional imprecision means the result is not even in the right place.)

Anyway, in the case of a 90 degree rotation, it seems unlikely that the user would want it misaligned with the pixels -- in which case no interpolation is needed and the result should be exactly right.

Simple test case that uniformly fails, currently:

* Select a rectangular region of the picture. * Float it
* Rotate it. Set the rotation centre to the exact top left (by first positioning the centre near it, then editing the coordinates in the rotation dialog to make them exact). Set the angle to 90 degrees and the interpolation to NONE. Supersampling option appears to have no effect in this case.
* The result may be offset by 1 pixel in X and/or Y axis; It is also missing one line of pixels (which line is omitted varies.)

gg@catking.net
2007-03-08 20:10:11 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:54:25 +0100, David Gowers wrote:

On 3/8/07, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

BTW, do you think the rotation centre should be snapped to 0.5 pixel increments when interpolation is NONE? It doesn't make sense to have any more precision at that point (and can introduce glitches -- for instance, try floating a rectangular region, then dragging the rotation centre to the
top left as precisely as you can, setting it to rotate 90 degrees, and performing the rotation... -- compared to inputting the coordinates of the
top left yourself and then performing the 90 degree rotation. In the first
case, even fractional imprecision means the result is not even in the right
place.)

Anyway, in the case of a 90 degree rotation, it seems unlikely that the user
would want it misaligned with the pixels -- in which case no interpolation
is needed and the result should be exactly right.

Simple test case that uniformly fails, currently:

* Select a rectangular region of the picture. * Float it
* Rotate it. Set the rotation centre to the exact top left (by first positioning the centre near it, then editing the coordinates in the rotation
dialog to make them exact). Set the angle to 90 degrees and the interpolation to NONE. Supersampling option appears to have no effect in this case.
* The result may be offset by 1 pixel in X and/or Y axis; It is also missing
one line of pixels (which line is omitted varies.)

I think you can achieve the same results without floating. Just try a rotate.

gg

Luis A. Florit
2007-03-08 23:13:08 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Then please explain the bug in the example code and send us a patch (preferably against SVN) that we can apply so that others won't run into the problem again.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp-web-devel/trunk/writing-a-plug-in/

Unfortunately, the code has more that one bug, or the correction I made didn't solve the issue completely.

Using your last code in

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp-web-devel/trunk/writing-a-plug-in/3/myblur5.c?revision=207

(that still shows the shift), I did an experiment. First, I made a symmetric image with a set of lines:

http://w3.impa.br/~luis/fotos/lixo/grid.jpg

and then blurred it with the code and radius=20. I got this:

http://w3.impa.br/~luis/fotos/lixo/grid_blurred.jpg

You can see three problems: 1) The old 1-pixel-down shift.
2) The two dark bands (20 lines each) at top and bottom of the image. 3) Even much intriguing is the grey band right below the top one, also of 20 lines! And it is homogeneous (no likes inside)...

My 'solution' (change 'x1, y1,' in line 241 by 'x1, y1+1,') took care of the shift, but not of the banding. The homogeneous grey band just moved to the bottom... (you cannot imagine the mess this does in my code!)

I think that the problem is that this shuffle function is implemented without taking into account the drawable height.

Now: Could anyone please show me a SIMPLE code where the tile handling is properly implemented, without bugs? I mean, the same blurring plugin would be just perfect, but without bugs... From this buggy example, I just don't understand how they work, so I am not able to find the bug.

You should realize that this is all just volunteers effort. Someone wrote this tutorial years ago and another volunteer added it to the gimp-developer web site. It will take another volunteer to improve it and to fix the example code. And yet even more volunteers will have to show up in the future to keep the tutorial uptodate.

Of course I understand this.
We are all volunteers.
This was not the point.

Anyway, thank you for your time,

Luis.

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2007-03-09 05:31:26 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Quoting "Luis A. Florit" :

2) The two dark bands (20 lines each) at top and bottom of the image. 3) Even much intriguing is the grey band right below the top one, also of 20 lines! And it is homogeneous (no likes inside)...

My 'solution' (change 'x1, y1,' in line 241 by 'x1, y1+1,') took care of the shift, but not of the banding.

The dark bands can be attributed to the fact that the averaged region near the borders is "filled out" by effectively duplicating the row or column at the edges. The algorithm may not be optimal, but it works as one should expect.

The average is currently produced by a formula similar to:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v+1, v+2) / 5

Near the borders, when there is no value "v+2" available, for example, you end up with:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v+1, v+1) / 5

And the next pixel will be:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v, v) / 5

If you wish to improve the algorithm, I would suggest that you need to discard terms and adjust the denominator accordingly -- the last example shown should produce "sum (v-2, v-1, v) / 3".

At least, that is my recommendation. I am not a mathematician.

gg@catking.net
2007-03-09 07:39:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 05:31:26 +0100, wrote:

Quoting "Luis A. Florit" :

My 'solution' (change 'x1, y1,' in line 241 by 'x1, y1+1,') took care of the shift, but not of the banding.

The dark bands can be attributed to the fact that the averaged region near the borders is "filled out" by effectively duplicating the row or column at the edges. The algorithm may not be optimal, but it works as one should expect.

The average is currently produced by a formula similar to:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v+1, v+2) / 5

Near the borders, when there is no value "v+2" available, for example, you end up with:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v+1, v+1) / 5

And the next pixel will be:

sum (v-2, v-1, v, v, v) / 5

If you wish to improve the algorithm, I would suggest that you need to discard terms and adjust the denominator accordingly -- the last example shown should produce "sum (v-2, v-1, v) / 3".

At least, that is my recommendation. I am not a mathematician.

gg@catking.net
2007-03-09 08:08:14 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:13:08 +0100, Luis A. Florit wrote:

My 'solution' (change 'x1, y1,' in line 241 by 'x1, y1+1,') took care of the shift, but not of the banding. The homogeneous grey band just moved to the bottom... (you cannot imagine the mess this does in my code!)

This is what's known in the trade as a frig factor!

You are arbitarily making an adjustment to correct one subjective error. You will likely find that on a different image it bahaves differently unless you understand why this adjustment is necessary and that +1 is a generally valid fix.

I cant comment on whether this is a bug in the tile code of the example or elsewhere. I suggest you look at some of the built in plugins.

I think most of the effects on the filters menu are implemented as plugins that are part of the gimp distribution. There are some differences in integrating external plugins but it's pretty much the same thing in the plugin code so you may be able get some clues on what you are trying to do from the existing plugins.

Be warned there are bugs in there two ;)

I did some revectoring and tidy up work on the convolution plugin last year and got told off for not testing it and introducing bugs. It turned out the bugs have been there since 1997. My objective was to make the code more readable and maintainable and to generalise the matrix routines to handle larger dimensions. I did not attempt to fix these anomolies.

My initial idea was to write a new plugin but I gave up since the documentation was totally inadequate, out of date and sometimes inaccurate. I decided it would take more time than I had available.

I hope you have more luck.

gg

Sven Neumann
2007-03-09 08:36:46 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:08 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

I did some revectoring and tidy up work on the convolution plugin last year and got told off for not testing it and introducing bugs. It turned out the bugs have been there since 1997. My objective was to make the code more readable and maintainable and to generalise the matrix routines to handle larger dimensions. I did not attempt to fix these anomolies.

Huh? Your changes got committed, if I remember correctly.

GG, can you perhaps consider to take your bashing off-list? We all know very well that the GIMP code is far from perfect. A lot of plug-ins and also some code in the core is old and the people who wrote it weren't experts in computer graphics. The algorithms being used are sometimes badly chosen and sometimes even incorrectly implemented. There is a lot to do in this respect and we hope that the switch to GEGL will force us to review all this code. The concepts of GEGL and babl should also allow us to get to cleaner and more readable code. Please do not discourage us and potential contributors by continously pointing out that some of the code is crap. We all know that.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-03-09 08:46:50 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 19:13 -0300, Luis A. Florit wrote:

Unfortunately, the code has more that one bug, or the correction I made didn't solve the issue completely.

I think we should then replace the example by something simpler. The point of this tutorial is not to show how to implement a blur. It is supposed to show some basic concepts of plug-in development. The code that is used as an example should be simple and bug-free. The current blur code doesn't seem to fulfill these requirements. So perhaps it should be replaced by a more local operation.

Another option would be to add a comment to the tutorial that points out that, for the sake of simplicity, the blur code is simpler than it would have to be and that it introduces a shift for that reason.

Now: Could anyone please show me a SIMPLE code where the tile handling is properly implemented, without bugs? I mean, the same blurring plugin would be just perfect, but without bugs... From this buggy example, I just don't understand how they work, so I am not able to find the bug.

The GIMP source code includes more than hundred plug-ins. I am sure you will find one or two that can serve as examples.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2007-03-09 09:07:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:45 +0100, peter@piments.com wrote:

I have limitted time right now but I'll try to have a look in the next few days, though I dont follow your logic.

If you have a look at it now, be warned that there's a bug in the pixel-surround routines which I introduced two days ago. I am aware of the bug and I will either fix it over the next days or revert some optimizations. So please don't wonder about artefacts at the bottom of the source area, these are due to this bug.

The reason this is optimised like this is because there is NO NEED for any fancy techniques since it's a one-to-one mapping.

Is it really always a one-to-one mapping? I might be wrong but this seems to be dependant on the choice of the center of rotation and I am not sure if correctly check for this.

I did start to look into this a while back but ran out of time. One source of error I noted was that the code splits all transforms into an origin and offset coordinates for just about all operations. Many of these are done with the origin at the image centre. This means two truncations , two rounding errors.

Sounds like we should investigate this further.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-03-09 12:30:07 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:36:46 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:08 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

I did some revectoring and tidy up work on the convolution plugin last year and got told off for not testing it and introducing bugs. It turned out the bugs have been there since 1997. My objective was to make the code
more readable and maintainable and to generalise the matrix routines to handle larger dimensions. I did not attempt to fix these anomolies.

Huh? Your changes got committed, if I remember correctly.

Yes the readability and cleanup that I did got committed, it is now more readable and maintainable. I did not attempt to fix a couple of oddities that I noticed (and that Bill initially thought I had introduced).

GG, can you perhaps consider to take your bashing off-list? We all know very well that the GIMP code is far from perfect. A lot of plug-ins and also some code in the core is old and the people who wrote it weren't experts in computer graphics. The algorithms being used are sometimes badly chosen and sometimes even incorrectly implemented. There is a lot to do in this respect and we hope that the switch to GEGL will force us to review all this code. The concepts of GEGL and babl should also allow us to get to cleaner and more readable code. Please do not discourage us and potential contributors by continously pointing out that some of the code is crap. We all know that.

Sven

Well it seems it was you who got Luis back up as soon as he came in but thanks for having a more positive to things generally in your recent posts.

I was aiming to forewarn him about the bugs and the state of the code I was refering him to, to prevent him wasting further time and getting more frustrated.

In the past I have seen too many attempts to improve things dismissed out of hand as either not being a problem or being a waste of time.

If we take the more realistic approach you outline above things will certainly move forwards and ppl will know where they are.

gg

William Skaggs
2007-03-09 16:47:55 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Concerning the plug-in example, if you want to see the proper way to do it, you can look at the real "blur" plug-in, in plug-ins/common/blur.c. However, as Sven suggests, that plug-in only does a 3x3 blur, and a proper implementation for NxN, as in the example, would be pretty hard to read -- too hard to make a good example.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Luis A. Florit
2007-03-09 20:53:09 UTC (about 17 years ago)

To Sven:

I think we should then replace the example by something simpler. The point of this tutorial is not to show how to implement a blur. It is supposed to show some basic concepts of plug-in development. The code that is used as an example should be simple and bug-free. The current blur code doesn't seem to fulfill these requirements. So perhaps it should be replaced by a more local operation.

Perhaps... But what can be simpler than a blur...

Another option would be to add a comment to the tutorial that points out that, for the sake of simplicity, the blur code is simpler than it would have to be and that it introduces a shift for that reason.

It's not only the shift. There is that grey band below the dark one... The two dark ones are just because the first and last lines are duplicated (radius) times. But the grey one?

The GIMP source code includes more than hundred plug-ins. I am sure you will find one or two that can serve as examples.

Perfect. I got blur.c.

To gg:

1) The old 1-pixel-down shift.

try a square grid to see if you get the same grey band on x.

Good point. The two dark bands are still present (by the same reason), but the grey one is not.

This is what's known in the trade as a frig factor!

You are arbitarily making an adjustment to correct one subjective error. You will likely find that on a different image it bahaves differently unless you understand why this adjustment is necessary and that +1 is a generally valid fix.

Absolutely. I am rewritting the code because of this.

I cant comment on whether this is a bug in the tile code of the example or elsewhere. I suggest you look at some of the built in plugins.

I will.

Thanks to both,

L.

Sven Neumann
2007-03-10 21:24:13 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:07 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

If you have a look at it now, be warned that there's a bug in the pixel-surround routines which I introduced two days ago. I am aware of the bug and I will either fix it over the next days or revert some optimizations. So please don't wonder about artefacts at the bottom of the source area, these are due to this bug.

Just FYI: That problem should be fixed now.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-03-10 23:52:02 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:24:13 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:07 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Just FYI: That problem should be fixed now.

Sven

thx for the update.
gg

gg@catking.net
2007-03-11 23:08:04 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:07:48 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

The reason this is optimised like this is because there is NO NEED for any fancy techniques since it's a one-to-one mapping.

Is it really always a one-to-one mapping? I might be wrong but this seems to be dependant on the choice of the center of rotation and I am not sure if correctly check for this.

yes , you may be right. I was resting on a preconception of the centre of rot. being integer or half-integer as it is by default. But I think the recent fp input allows 0.01 increments. Maybe the desirablility of that needs to be checked.

0.5 did solve some drift but finer offsets may produce other errors or need some follow through.

there is also the question of differing x and y resolution.

you are probably right that the optimisation is inappropriately tested but it was not the cause of the test case I ran that was symetrical and integer centred. The drift remains when the lines you indicated are removed.

I did start to look into this a while back but ran out of time. One source of error I noted was that the code splits all transforms into an origin and offset coordinates for just about all operations. Many of these are done with the origin at the image centre. This means two truncations , two rounding errors.

Sounds like we should investigate this further.

Yes, I dont know if I'll have time to have a serious look at this but I think the offset needs to remain fp as long as possible , not get truncated, and all gint() casts need to be checked.

These drifts may sound trivial but can lead to noticable noise after very few operations. Take a small, simple geometric shape , rotate L 15, rotate R 15, the ammount of non-symetric noise is not good.

Thanks for taking the comments on board, I think it's important that the gimp does not degrade image quality more than is mathematically unavoidable.

gg.