RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gfig

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gfig Claus Cyrny 06 Mar 18:10
Gfig William Skaggs 06 Mar 18:26
  Gfig Claus Cyrny 06 Mar 19:03
   Gfig Sven Neumann 06 Mar 20:40
    Gfig Claus Cyrny 07 Mar 03:35
     Gfig Manish Singh 07 Mar 03:47
Claus Cyrny
2007-03-06 18:10:10 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

Hi all,

I would like to know if 'gfig' is supposed to be included in Gimp 2.4? The handling is really so uncomfortable that I would rather like to see the text tool improved, the way it is already realized in Paint Shop Pro, Photo- shop, etc.: to include the text at first as a vector layer, which can be rendered as a bitmap after- wards. The handling of the present text tool is far from satisfactory.

Greetings,

Claus

William Skaggs
2007-03-06 18:26:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:10:10 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to know if 'gfig' is supposed to be included in Gimp 2.4? The handling is really so uncomfortable that I would rather like to see the text tool improved, the way it is already realized in Paint Shop Pro, Photo- shop, etc.: to include the text at first as a vector layer, which can be rendered as a bitmap after- wards. The handling of the present text tool is far from satisfactory.

Huh? Gfig has nothing to do with text, and the text tool already does create "vector" text layers. Your request is impossible to understand.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Claus Cyrny
2007-03-06 19:03:11 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

Hi,

William Skaggs wrote:

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:10:10 +0100

Hi all,

Huh? Gfig has nothing to do with text, and the text tool already does create "vector" text layers. Your request is impossible to understand.

Sorry, if my post was somewhat unclear. What I was trying to say is, that in the context of The Gimp, 'gfig' doesn't make any sense to me (partially due to the very difficult handling). For those tasks programs like Inkscape are much better suited (and much easier to handle). So, it would seem logical to me to abandon 'gfig' and concentrate more on important things like the text tool. Since I'm not a programmer, I didn't know that the text tool already *does* include the text in vector format. What I had in mind is a tool where you can scale/rotate etc. the text /before/ is is rendered as a bitmap. In Photoshop, there are text fx available as well.

Claus

Sven Neumann
2007-03-06 20:40:34 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 19:03 +0100, Claus Cyrny wrote:

Since I'm not a programmer, I didn't know that the text tool already *does* include the text in vector format. What I had in mind is a tool where you can scale/rotate etc. the text /before/ is is rendered as a bitmap.

Text transformations can be implemented on top of the current text layer concept. This has been foreseen from the beginning. It just has not yet been implemented. I don't think however that the gfig plug-in has anything to do with this.

Sven

Claus Cyrny
2007-03-07 03:35:03 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann wrote:

[ ... ]
I don't think however that the gfig plug-in has anything to do with this.

It does insofar, as it binds unnecessary develop- er resources. I have been using the Gimp now for several years, but I'm beginning to ask myself where the priorities for the developers are. Wouldn't, say, 16-/32-bit be more important than a small vector graphics program that is so difficult to handle? Of course there's no direct connection between 'gfig' and the text tool; it's just a matter on how to spend developer resources.

Claus

Manish Singh
2007-03-07 03:47:43 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Gfig

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 03:35:03AM +0100, Claus Cyrny wrote:

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann wrote:

[ ... ]
I don't think however that the gfig plug-in has anything to do with this.

It does insofar, as it binds unnecessary develop- er resources. I have been using the Gimp now for several years, but I'm beginning to ask myself where the priorities for the developers are. Wouldn't, say, 16-/32-bit be more important than a small vector graphics program that is so difficult to handle? Of course there's no direct connection between 'gfig' and the text tool; it's just a matter on how to spend developer resources.

You assumption that significant developer resources go into maintaining gfig is simply false. That's why everyone else is confused.

-Yosh