RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Raphaël Quinet 18 Dec 18:12
  List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Sven Neumann 18 Dec 18:34
   List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Nathan Carl Summers 18 Dec 18:42
  List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Robert L Krawitz 19 Dec 02:18
List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Sven Neumann 20 Dec 13:13
  List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Nathan Carl Summers 20 Dec 17:40
DE924A789E3C124F8C8A319F273... 07 Oct 20:21
  List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Austin Donnelly 19 Dec 10:45
   List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release Raphaël Quinet 19 Dec 11:14
Raphaël Quinet
2002-12-18 18:12:21 UTC (over 21 years ago)

With the release of 1.2.4-pre2, we are getting closer to the final 1.2.4. Like I did a few months ago when 1.2.3 was released, I searched Bugzilla and the various ChangeLog files in order to get a list of significant changes between the future 1.2.4 release and the previous version.

Here are the changes that I identified so far. There are many other things mentioned in the ChangeLog, but I think that these are the most significant ones. I am even thinking about deleting the last two or three items because the list is already a bit long.

* Updated translations.

* The print plug-in is now using libgimpprint-4.2, which is distributed as a separate package (bug #80941). It is more stable and more portable than previous versions (bug #87428). If you do not have libgimpprint on your system, you have to download it from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ and install it before building The GIMP, else use --disable-print.

* Fixed crashes in: File->Open dialog (bug #51781), paths dialog, splash screen (bug #81962), initialization (bug #71409), imagemap plug-in (bug #92750), convmatrix plug-in (bug #81345), GIMPressionist (bug #92394), Select->Sharpen (bug #93853) and in the tablet support (bug #91067).

* Fixed some errors in several file load/save plug-ins: PNG (bug #55700, bug #92395), TIFF (bug #77283, bug #97352), XPM (bug #87588, bug #82763), EPS (bug #75667, bug #81606), JPEG (75398).

* Improvements and cleanups for the Windows build.

* The JPEG and PNG libraries are now required, unless the user explicitely disables them.

* Considerable speed-ups in some plug-ins: borderaverage, convmatrix, nlfilt, papertile, vpropagate (bug #78358).

* Various improvements for the usability of some tools: selection tools (bug #78731), spinbuttons in resize dialog (bug #63741).

* Generating previews from a list of files works correctly (bug #100663).

Are there any comments on this list?

I am posting this now, just in case someone would have the foolish idea of releasing 1.2.4 while I am away during the X-Mas break... On the other hand, bug #83362 is still open and makes it illegal to distribute 1.2.4 as it is. Are there any volunteers to solve this problem?

Sven Neumann
2002-12-18 18:34:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

With the release of 1.2.4-pre2, we are getting closer to the final 1.2.4. Like I did a few months ago when 1.2.3 was released, I searched Bugzilla and the various ChangeLog files in order to get a list of significant changes between the future 1.2.4 release and the previous version.

thanks, great work!

I am posting this now, just in case someone would have the foolish idea of releasing 1.2.4 while I am away during the X-Mas break... On the other hand, bug #83362 is still open and makes it illegal to distribute 1.2.4 as it is. Are there any volunteers to solve this problem?

I'd also like to see this one being addressed:

Saving .xcf on full filesystem hangs GIMP http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101340

doesn't seem overly complicated since there's only one call to fwrite() in app/xcf.c which needs to have its return_value to be checked. The larger part of the problem is to propate the error up from xcf_write_int8(). Volunteers for this one?

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-18 18:42:16 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 18 Dec 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I'd also like to see this one being addressed:

Saving .xcf on full filesystem hangs GIMP http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101340

doesn't seem overly complicated since there's only one call to fwrite() in app/xcf.c which needs to have its return_value to be checked. The larger part of the problem is to propate the error up from xcf_write_int8(). Volunteers for this one?

I'll volunteer. I've lost a lot of work to this bug.

Rockwalrus

Robert L Krawitz
2002-12-19 02:18:40 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:12:21 +0100 From: =?ISO-8859-1?B?UmFwaGHrbA==?= Quinet

Here are the changes that I identified so far. There are many other things mentioned in the ChangeLog, but I think that these are the most significant ones. I am even thinking about deleting the last two or three items because the list is already a bit long.

* The print plug-in is now using libgimpprint-4.2, which is distributed as a separate package (bug #80941). It is more stable and more portable than previous versions (bug #87428). If you do not have libgimpprint on your system, you have to download it from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ and install it before building The GIMP, else use --disable-print.

I guess this means that we (Gimp-print) should start figuring out how to factor this out of our distribution.

On another note, someone's working on a more generalized printing GUI based on the Print plugin code. This may not make it into 4.2, but if it does the result will be that there will be a libgimpprintui, and the Print plugin will shrink rather dramatically in code volume. From an operational standpoint, it would most likely share settings with any other application that used this library.

Austin Donnelly
2002-12-19 10:45:19 UTC (over 21 years ago)

doesn't seem overly complicated since there's only one call to

fwrite()

in app/xcf.c which needs to have its return_value to be checked. The larger part of the problem is to propate the error up from xcf_write_int8().

Note that just checking write() or fwrite() return values may not be enough: some filesystems delay the error indictation until close() is called on the fd. So this bug may well be influenced by the filesystem GIMP is writing to at the time.

Just a detail to bear in mind...

Austin

Raphaël Quinet
2002-12-19 11:14:10 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:45:19 -0000, "Austin Donnelly" wrote: [quoting Rockwalrus, who quoted Sven:]

[...]

Note that just checking write() or fwrite() return values may not be enough: some filesystems delay the error indictation until close() is called on the fd. So this bug may well be influenced by the filesystem GIMP is writing to at the time.

Yes, this is very important! Checking only the return value of fwrite() and ignoring the return value of close() is a recipe for disaster. You should also bear in mind that some filesystems (even the good old ext2) may behave differently if quotas are enabled.

I do most of my GIMP work over NFS, and many NFS filesystem checks are delayed until the call to close(). I also enable quotas for myself and all other users on most of the machines that I manage. So testing the return value of fwrite() and ignoring the close() would only shift the problem described in bug #101340: instead of locking the GIMP, the user would lose the image without getting any error message. I don't know which problem is worse...

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2002-12-20 13:13:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

Yes, this is very important! Checking only the return value of fwrite() and ignoring the return value of close() is a recipe for disaster. You should also bear in mind that some filesystems (even the good old ext2) may behave differently if quotas are enabled.

please reopen the bug-report then.

Salut, Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2002-12-20 17:40:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On 20 Dec 2002, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

please reopen the bug-report then.

No need; we check fclose()'s return value in both branches now.

Rockwalrus