RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

200210212226.46112.michaeln... Michael Niedermayer 21 Oct 22:26
  YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Sven Neumann 21 Oct 23:03
   YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Michael Niedermayer 22 Oct 00:48
    YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 22 Oct 16:37
     YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Michael Niedermayer 22 Oct 17:43
      YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Sven Neumann 22 Oct 18:09
       YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Michael Niedermayer 22 Oct 19:41
        YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 22 Oct 19:53
         YCbCr (de)compose support [PATCH] Rapha 24 Oct 09:34
Sven Neumann
2002-10-21 23:03:12 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

Michael Niedermayer writes:

this patch adds
YCbCr ITU-R Rec. BT.470-2 (== BT.624-4 seems to be == BT.601) and YCbCr ITU-R Rec. BT.709
compose & decompose support

basically looks like it's worth to be included. You should file a bug-report at http://bugs.gimp.org/ and attach your patch there. (You first need to submit the patch before you can add a patch to it.)

@@ -136,7 +140,27 @@
{ N_("CMYK"), 4, { N_("Cyan:"),
N_("Magenta:"), N_("Yellow:"), - N_("Black:") }, N_("cmyk-compose"), compose_cmyk } + N_("Black:") }, N_("cmyk-compose"), compose_cmyk }, + { N_("YCbCr_ITU_R470"),
+ 3, { N_("Y:"),
+ N_("Cb:"),
+ N_("Cr:"),
+ CHNL_NA }, N_("ycbcr470-compose"), compose_ycbcr470 }, + { N_("YCbCr_ITU_R709"),

does it really make sense to mark these strings for translation? I'd prefer some more descriptive names but I guess it's not that easy since these conversions are of a very technical nature. Perhaps tooltips would help?

Salut, Sven

Michael Niedermayer
2002-10-22 00:48:04 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi

On Monday 21 October 2002 23:03, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

this patch adds
YCbCr ITU-R Rec. BT.470-2 (== BT.624-4 seems to be == BT.601) and YCbCr ITU-R Rec. BT.709
compose & decompose support

basically looks like it's worth to be included. You should file a bug-report at http://bugs.gimp.org/ and attach your patch there. (You first need to submit the patch before you can add a patch to it.)

ok, done

[...]

+ 3, { N_("Y:"),
+ N_("Cb:"),
+ N_("Cr:"),
+ CHNL_NA }, N_("ycbcr470-compose"), compose_ycbcr470 }, + { N_("YCbCr_ITU_R709"),

does it really make sense to mark these strings for translation?

y/cb/cr certainly not (i didnt really think about it, its just edited copy&paste from the other converters)

I'd
prefer some more descriptive names but I guess it's not that easy since these conversions are of a very technical nature. Perhaps tooltips would help?

i changed Y,Cb,Cr to brightness, blueness, redness in the patch on the bug-report, that should be more descriptive [...]

Michael

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-10-22 16:37:16 UTC (over 21 years ago)

michaelni@gmx.at (2002-10-22 at 0048.04 +0200):

i changed Y,Cb,Cr to brightness, blueness, redness in the patch on the bug-report, that should be more descriptive

I always heard Y to be luminance, not brightness, and never heard people using redness, just Cr. Remembering which version was used could be nice (important? a time saver?), so for the image names I think they could be luminance_y709, redness_cr470, blueness_cb470f and so on.

GSR

Michael Niedermayer
2002-10-22 17:43:24 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 16:37, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

michaelni@gmx.at (2002-10-22 at 0048.04 +0200):

i changed Y,Cb,Cr to brightness, blueness, redness in the patch on the bug-report, that should be more descriptive

I always heard Y to be luminance, not brightness, and never heard

yes its called luminance most often AFAIK, but according to (http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html) the correct term would be luma

people using redness, just Cr. Remembering which version was used could be nice (important? a time saver?), so for the image names I think they could be luminance_y709, redness_cr470, blueness_cb470f and so on.

agree, this would be better, do u want me to fix it & resend the patch? i guess not, for this small change

[...]

Michael

Sven Neumann
2002-10-22 18:09:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi,

yes its called luminance most often AFAIK, but according to (http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html) the correct term would be luma

people using redness, just Cr. Remembering which version was used could be nice (important? a time saver?), so for the image names I think they could be luminance_y709, redness_cr470, blueness_cb470f and so on.

agree, this would be better, do u want me to fix it & resend the patch? i guess not, for this small change

you would save us some work by attaching a "fixed" version of your patch to the bug-report you opened for it.

Salut, Sven

Michael Niedermayer
2002-10-22 19:41:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 18:09, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

you would save us some work by attaching a "fixed" version of your patch to the bug-report you opened for it.

done

[...]

Michael

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-10-22 19:53:27 UTC (over 21 years ago)

michaelni@gmx.at (2002-10-22 at 1941.37 +0200):

done

Thanks, I took note of it here too, btw: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28889

GSR

Rapha
2002-10-24 09:34:39 UTC (over 21 years ago)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:53:27 +0200, "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:

michaelni@gmx.at (2002-10-22 at 1941.37 +0200):

done

Thanks, I took note of it here too, btw: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28889

Thanks. As you may have seen, I have added a depencency between bug #96448 (the new one, dealing with YCbCr) and bug #28889 (the old one, asking also for YUV, LUC, CieLab, S-CieLab and YIQ). This ensures that the reporter of the old bug and those who have added their address to the CC list are notified when the bug is fixed.

In this case this happened a few hours later, so those who were interested in the progress of bug #28889 have received a message telling them that the YCbCr part (bug #96448) was fixed.

-Raphaël