RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Recording a GIMP Script

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Recording a GIMP Script Kevin Myers 17 Oct 01:56
  Recording a GIMP Script Steinar H. Gunderson 17 Oct 02:13
  Recording a GIMP Script Branko Collin 17 Oct 12:28
Recording a GIMP Script Kevin Myers 17 Oct 02:22
Kevin Myers
2002-10-17 01:56:35 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Recording a GIMP Script

Hello,

Has anyone given any consideration to implementing a feature in GIMP that would allow a user to create a script by recording their interactive actions? Something like that would go a long way towards helping folks get off the ground with the development of new scripts much more quickly, by providing some initial boilerplate that is close to what they need and could be much more easily modified to produce the desired result than by starting to write a script completely from scratch.

Maybe such a feature already exists and I just don't know about it???

Thanks, s/KAM

Steinar H. Gunderson
2002-10-17 02:13:40 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Recording a GIMP Script

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 06:56:35PM -0500, Kevin Myers wrote:

Has anyone given any consideration to implementing a feature in GIMP that would allow a user to create a script by recording their interactive actions? Something like that would go a long way towards helping folks get off the ground with the development of new scripts much more quickly, by providing some initial boilerplate that is close to what they need and could be much more easily modified to produce the desired result than by starting to write a script completely from scratch.

It was discussed here some while ago -- somebody suggested that the best thing to do would be a `reverse PDB' of some sort, where one could interface to different back-ends (ie. for Perl-Fu, Script-Fu, some XML language etc.). As far as I know, no work has been done on it after the discussion died at that time.

/* Steinar */

Kevin Myers
2002-10-17 02:22:57 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Recording a GIMP Script

Thanks a lot to Steiner for his reply!

While a "reverse PDB" might be nice, as an initial attempt could we get by with something much simpler and more hardcoded that would only address Script-Fu for example? In saying that, please take into account that I'm just getting started as a gimp developer, and really don't have a very good idea yet of just exactly what the PDB is all about. But I'd hate to see a good idea go out the window just because we wanted to shoot for the moon and make things much more complex than is really necessary for a preliminary implementation.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough gimp knowledge yet to have a feel for what it would take to convert interactive actions in gimp to the corresponding Script-Fu statements.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steinar H. Gunderson"
To: "gimp developers"
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 7:13 PM Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Recording a GIMP Script

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 06:56:35PM -0500, Kevin Myers wrote:

Has anyone given any consideration to implementing a feature in GIMP

that

would allow a user to create a script by recording their interactive actions? Something like that would go a long way towards helping folks

get

off the ground with the development of new scripts much more quickly, by providing some initial boilerplate that is close to what they need and

could

be much more easily modified to produce the desired result than by

starting

to write a script completely from scratch.

It was discussed here some while ago -- somebody suggested that the best thing to do would be a `reverse PDB' of some sort, where one could

interface

to different back-ends (ie. for Perl-Fu, Script-Fu, some XML language

etc.).

As far as I know, no work has been done on it after the discussion died at that time.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Branko Collin
2002-10-17 12:28:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Recording a GIMP Script

On 16 Oct 2002, at 18:56, Kevin Myers wrote:

Has anyone given any consideration to implementing a feature in GIMP that would allow a user to create a script by recording their interactive actions?

Yes, see .