RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1 Robert L Krawitz 11 May 18:40
  ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1 Sven Neumann 11 May 22:42
   ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1 Robert L Krawitz 12 May 02:28
Robert L Krawitz
2002-05-11 18:40:31 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1, released May 11, 2002, is a prerelease in the Gimp-Print 4.2 line.

This software includes the Print plug-in for the Gimp, and GhostScript and CUPS drivers, including Foomatic data.

The Gimp Print plugin requires the Gimp 1.2.

The CUPS driver requires CUPS 1.1.9 or higher. 1.1.14 or above is highly recommended, as certain translation-related bugs are fixed and it is possible to print true CMYK.

The Ghostscript driver requires GNU Ghostscript 5.10, 5.50, 6.51, or any later GNU Ghostscript release based on 6.51 (e. g. 6.52).

The IJS GhostScript plugin driver requires GNU Ghostscript 6.53 or later or APFL GhostScript 7.04 or later.

Please read the README file for full instructions on building and installing this package.

Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1 contains the following major changes over Gimp-Print 4.2.1:

1) A new dither algorithm, EvenTone, has been added. This algorithm produces superior results for photographs and other continuous-tone images, but in its current form it may not be as well suited for solid color images and line art. This algorithm should be considered beta.

2) The default optimization level with gcc is now -O2 rather than -O. This improves performance somewhat.

3) Spanish and Portuguese translations have been added.

Sven Neumann
2002-05-11 22:42:52 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi,

Robert L Krawitz writes:

Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1, released May 11, 2002, is a prerelease in the Gimp-Print 4.2 line.
[...]
Gimp-Print 4.2.2-pre1 contains the following major changes over Gimp-Print 4.2.1:

1) A new dither algorithm, EvenTone, has been added. This algorithm produces superior results for photographs and other continuous-tone images, but in its current form it may not be as well suited for solid color images and line art. This algorithm should be considered beta.

will the GIMP plug-in automatically take advantage of this change and include the new dither algorithm? If I understood the code correctly this is not the case. If I'm correct, this indicates a design flaw in the gimp-print library since the list of dither algorithms should be provided by gimp-print and not being hardcoded to the plug-in. I hope I'm wrong here.

Salut, Sven

Robert L Krawitz
2002-05-12 02:28:32 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Date: 11 May 2002 22:42:52 +0200

will the GIMP plug-in automatically take advantage of this change and include the new dither algorithm? If I understood the code correctly this is not the case. If I'm correct, this indicates a design flaw in the gimp-print library since the list of dither algorithms should be provided by gimp-print and not being hardcoded to the plug-in. I hope I'm wrong here.

It will automatically pick up the new dither algorithm, with no need to recompile the GIMP plug-in.