RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Modifying GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Modifying GIMP Hai Nguyen 26 Apr 00:28
  Modifying GIMP Nathan C Summers 26 Apr 01:03
Modifying GIMP Hai Nguyen 26 Apr 03:11
  Modifying GIMP Nathan C Summers 26 Apr 03:18
Modifying GIMP Hai Nguyen 26 Apr 03:30
  Modifying GIMP Sven Neumann 26 Apr 12:27
Hai Nguyen
2002-04-26 00:28:34 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

Hi,

I am trying to modify GIMP to add some extra features but it's not really something that I can do as plugin, does anyone know of any where I can find detailed information on the way gimp actually works, any sort of info especially on the actual source code in 'libgimp' and 'app' folders.

Cheers, Hai.

Nathan C Summers
2002-04-26 01:03:12 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Hai Nguyen wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to modify GIMP to add some extra features but it's not really something that I can do as plugin, does anyone know of any where I can find detailed information on the way gimp actually works, any sort of info especially on the actual source code in 'libgimp' and 'app' folders.

The Gimp is a huge and complicated thing. The documentation that comes with Gimp in the devel-docs directory is about all there is. Libgimp is fairly well documented, but there isn't much about the core (found in the app directory.)

If you let us know some more details of what you'd like to do, we can give you some help on how to do it. Depending on the scope of your modifications, I would recommend that you make them to version 1.3.5, both since the code in that version is cleaner and easier to understand and because the chances of your modifications being accepted into the next version of gimp are much higher if they are based on a recent version of 1.3.

Rockwalrus

Hai Nguyen
2002-04-26 03:11:37 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

I did post a message on here before, basically what I would like to do is to modify GIMP to be able to handle 48-bit images, I would then like to write a plugin that would then be able read in a digital cameras RAW mode image (36-bit interpolated into 48-bit).

I have had a look at the code, yes it is very complicated, but now I am thinking it won't be possible to get full support for 48-bit in the time I have, but if I can just read in the image and perhaps perform a simple operation that would be sufficient proof of concept.

I am actually doing this on Windows platform, and using version 1.2 from CVS and patched with the diff file from
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html.

This is actually being done as a University project, hence it doesn't have to be completed in full. If any one does know of any useful information on the core I would be very grateful.

Cheers, Hai.
----- Original Message -----
To: "Hai Nguyen"
Cc:
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 12:03 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Modifying GIMP

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Hai Nguyen wrote:

Hi,

The Gimp is a huge and complicated thing. The documentation that comes with Gimp in the devel-docs directory is about all there is. Libgimp is fairly well documented, but there isn't much about the core (found in the app directory.)

If you let us know some more details of what you'd like to do, we can give you some help on how to do it. Depending on the scope of your modifications, I would recommend that you make them to version 1.3.5, both since the code in that version is cleaner and easier to understand and because the chances of your modifications being accepted into the next version of gimp are much higher if they are based on a recent version of 1.3.

Rockwalrus

Nathan C Summers
2002-04-26 03:18:30 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Hai Nguyen wrote:

I did post a message on here before, basically what I would like to do is to modify GIMP to be able to handle 48-bit images, I would then like to write a plugin that would then be able read in a digital cameras RAW mode image (36-bit interpolated into 48-bit).

I have had a look at the code, yes it is very complicated, but now I am thinking it won't be possible to get full support for 48-bit in the time I have, but if I can just read in the image and perhaps perform a simple operation that would be sufficient proof of concept.

I am actually doing this on Windows platform, and using version 1.2 from CVS and patched with the diff file from
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html.

This is actually being done as a University project, hence it doesn't have to be completed in full. If any one does know of any useful information on the core I would be very grateful.

There already is a lot of work that has been done on supporting those kinds of images; instead of checking out the 1.2 cvs branch, check out the HOLLYWOOD branch. Some information about that branch is available at film.gimp.org. So pretty much all you would have to do is write the plugin, and the plugin api is pretty well documented (see the libgimp documentation.)

Rockwalrus

Hai Nguyen
2002-04-26 03:30:52 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, someone did kindly inform me of GIMP's film version. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the HOLLYWOOD branch doesn't seem to be in CVS.

What version of GTK does this use, because I'm using windows, I'm using GTK that was ported for Win32, I don't know how much work is needed to port this version of GIMP to get it working.

I don't suppose you know of a Windows version that already exist, this would solve all my problems. I have tried emailing the contacts on the GIMP film version website but have not had any response.

Cheers, Hai.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan C Summers"
To: "Hai Nguyen"
Cc:
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 2:18 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Modifying GIMP

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Hai Nguyen wrote:

I did post a message on here before, basically what I would like to do

is to

modify GIMP to be able to handle 48-bit images, I would then like to

write a

plugin that would then be able read in a digital cameras RAW mode image (36-bit interpolated into 48-bit).

I have had a look at the code, yes it is very complicated, but now I am thinking it won't be possible to get full support for 48-bit in the time

I

have, but if I can just read in the image and perhaps perform a simple operation that would be sufficient proof of concept.

I am actually doing this on Windows platform, and using version 1.2 from

CVS

and patched with the diff file from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html.

This is actually being done as a University project, hence it doesn't

have

to be completed in full. If any one does know of any useful information

on

the core I would be very grateful.

There already is a lot of work that has been done on supporting those kinds of images; instead of checking out the 1.2 cvs branch, check out the HOLLYWOOD branch. Some information about that branch is available at film.gimp.org. So pretty much all you would have to do is write the plugin, and the plugin api is pretty well documented (see the libgimp documentation.)

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2002-04-26 12:27:29 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Modifying GIMP

Hi,

"Hai Nguyen" writes:

Thanks for the reply, someone did kindly inform me of GIMP's film version. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the HOLLYWOOD branch doesn't seem to be in CVS.

I'm pretty sure it is. "cvs co -r HOLLYWOOD gimp" should do the trick.

What version of GTK does this use, because I'm using windows, I'm using GTK that was ported for Win32, I don't know how much work is needed to port this version of GIMP to get it working.

I don't suppose you know of a Windows version that already exist, this would solve all my problems. I have tried emailing the contacts on the GIMP film version website but have not had any response.

I'm pretty sure that it will be much easier to install Linux on a spare harddisk (or partition) than trying to port this to Windows.

Salut, Sven