RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Usability request, step value on the slider widgets

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Usability request, step value on the slider widgets wwp 23 Mar 09:29
wwp
2019-03-23 09:29:00 UTC (about 5 years ago)

Usability request, step value on the slider widgets

Hello there,

I'm a very-happy user of Gimp 2.10.x now, but noticed there's an itchy point in my production process, it's about usability, more precisely it concerns the granularity of the new sliders widgets used, for instance, in the Hue-Saturation dialog, to move the Hue, Lightness, Saturation dialogs (and everywhere else).

If mastering those widgets was not trivial at once, compared to the usual ones - the sensitivity is vertically split in two, both halves behaving differently, they are better than the former ones, it took me time to make my "hand" to it. The usability issue with them, is that there is no more +10/-10 granularity when you use the mouse to click on them, you cannot make the value jump by 10 left or right by other means than reaching the widget using TAB key several times (if you directly click it to put the focus, you'll modify the value - arg!) then pressing page up/down.

Clicking with left or right button produces the same behaviour, whereas clicking with right button could have been used to make the value +10/-10 instead of the default behaviour (make the value to the exact position clicked) - or using modifier keys.

Same, I though another step value could have been used w/ the arrows to the right, but it's +1/-1, whatever you left or right click, with or without modifiers keys. Here too, a shift click.

To summarize, if it's possible to use page up/page down to use a +10/10 value step, it would help to use an alternate click method to get the same: in the widget band and on the right-side arrows.

Any thought?

Regards,

wwp