RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

HiDPI/Retina display support and gtk3-port branch?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

HiDPI/Retina display support and gtk3-port branch? Brion Vibber 27 Feb 16:14
  HiDPI/Retina display support and gtk3-port branch? scl 27 Feb 19:22
Brion Vibber
2014-02-27 16:14:27 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi all!

I'm investigating how well various Gtk-based apps run on hi-dpi displays, including Apple's "Retina" displays and other vendors' 2560x1440 and above laptop displays.

Gtk+ 3.10 and later has native support for hidpi display scaling on X11, Wayland, and Mac OS X backends; on a GNOME 3.10 or 3.12 system if you don't have a display that triggers the scaling automatically you can switch it in manually like so:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2

Of course the current Gimp release is Gtk2-based, and on Linux only seems to see an increased default font size -- many widgets and icons are displayed at tiny tiny size, so the program is hard to use, but you do get the full resolution on your actual work image.

Note that on Mac OS X, the situation is a bit different: the current Gtk2 releases display at correct size and most on-screen text is sharp (thanks to the way Gtk2 sits on top of a native OS X layer that already scales up) but icons and the actual image graphics are still low-resolution because the gtk layer knows nothing about the high-resolution backing layer. This is usable, but makes for an unpleasant experience in that we don't get the benefit of the high resolution for our pretty graphics!

I did a quick test with the gtk3-port branch on Fedora 20 in scaled mode; it displays correctly sized and text widgets are nice and high-resolution, but of course Gimp's own icons are fuzzy and the graphics are low-resolution (similar to the current OS X state).

Additionally, gtk3-port seems a bit broken. I had to build against a version of GEGL from a few weeks ago to avoid an error about missing 'gegl:seamless-clone' operation, and the resulting gimp-2.99 runs *really slow* and constantly pumps a stream of warnings to the console:

Gdk-WARNING **: gdk-frame-clock: layout continuously requested, giving up after 4 tries

I'm not sure how much can be done on the gtk2 end (a large icon theme would probably help on Linux), but I am definitely interested in poking at the gtk3 branch for proper hi-dpi support. I've gone ahead and filed a bugzilla entry: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725263

From asking around in IRC, it seems that the gtk3-port branch won't land on master until after Gimp 2.10 ships. Should I assume the branch is going to remain unstable for a while and wait, or is it ok to start doing some experiments & submitting patches for it?

Thanks!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)

scl
2014-02-27 19:22:30 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 27.2.2014 at 5:14 PM Brion Vibber wrote:

I'm not sure how much can be done on the gtk2 end (a large icon theme would probably help on Linux), but I am definitely interested in poking at the gtk3 branch for proper hi-dpi support. I've gone ahead and filed a bugzilla entry: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=725263

From asking around in IRC, it seems that the gtk3-port branch won't land on

master until after Gimp 2.10 ships. Should I assume the branch is going to remain unstable for a while and wait, or is it ok to start doing some experiments & submitting patches for it?

From my point of view: please feel free to do so. Especially to solve various problems with state-of-the-art hardware like graphic tablets and HiDPI displays we should switch over to GTK3 as soon as possible. Let's see how we can solve the current build issues, like the one you mentioned and those reported at https://build.gimp.org/job/gimp-distcheck-gtk3-port/ (The latter should be fixed first, otherwise we don't know whether your patches behave well in GIMP's code base).

As Mitch pointed out in IRC there are some more hurdles to take for the GTK3 port such as ensuring that the plug-ins don't fail but IMHO this shouldn't keep you back from patches for HiDPI displays.

Kind regards,

Sven