RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Kamilla Elliott 17 Nov 14:48
  Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Chris Mohler 17 Nov 19:36
   1353181728.58423.YahooMailN... 17 Nov 19:58
    Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Chris Mohler 17 Nov 19:58
     Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Kamilla Elliott 17 Nov 20:59
      Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Burnie West 17 Nov 22:42
      Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Liam R E Quin 17 Nov 22:49
      Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Chris Mohler 17 Nov 23:57
       Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text Kamilla Elliott 18 Nov 08:22
Kamilla Elliott
2012-11-17 14:48:12 UTC (over 11 years ago)

I'm working on graphic design for a CD (booklet, tray card, disc body, etc.) using Gimp. I set the xcf resolution to 300ppi and all of the photos I am using are also 300ppi. The file looks sharp in xcf format and also when exported to psd. But when I export to pdf from xcf the photos lose their resolution and the text loses its size and layout. and/or distorted (from psd to pdf). When I export from psd to xcf, the photos become blurry again and the text becomes distorted and illegible. I need to submit these files in pdf format to the printer who is producing the CDs, but the pdf files produced in Gimp are unacceptable. Any solutions? Thanks.

Chris Mohler
2012-11-17 19:36:11 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Kamilla Elliott wrote:

the pdf files produced in Gimp are unacceptable. Any solutions? Thanks.

Try flattening the image before exporting (Image->Flatten Image). Just be careful not to save the XCF afterwards.

Chris

Chris Mohler
2012-11-17 19:58:33 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Kamilla Elliott wrote:

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. That does improve the res and sorts out the font problems totally. It's still not printer ready--the photos, which are very high res when I import them, remain a bit too soft and blurry. I have the file at 100ppi--when I create one at 300ppi and recreate it, it becomes the size of a postage stamp so it's hard to see the res. on that one. I will keep plugging along. Thanks again.

I'm not sure I follow you, but you might be hitting an old and tricky bug that sometimes causes problems when scaling. You might try resizing in steps - eg, scale it about 50% of the way then scale it to the right size on the next pass. It's been a while since I had to do this - I don't remember if I had to do it in just 2 passes or more.

Chris

PS - hit "reply all" to respond to the mailing list ;)

Kamilla Elliott
2012-11-17 20:59:15 UTC (over 11 years ago)

Thanks again for your response. Sorry to be unclear. I first made the xcf at 100 ppi, importing photos and adding text; then when I had trouble exporting it to pdf (the photos were too blurry), I re-created it from scratch, setting it at 300ppi using Advanced Options under 'New File'. But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch instead of 11 x 6 inches. So I couldn't see if it was high res, since I had to zoom to about 450% to see it, by which time it was blurry again. I'm trying a new document from scratch with very high res photos to see if that will help. Thanks again for helping me--your e-mail helped me make more progress than I managed to make all day.

To: Kamilla Elliott ; gimp-developer  
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Kamilla Elliott
 wrote:
> Thank you so much for the speedy reply. That does improve the res and sorts
> out the font problems totally. It's still not printer ready--the photos,
> which are very high res when I import them, remain a bit too soft and
> blurry. I have the file at 100ppi--when I create one at 300ppi and recreate
> it, it becomes the size of a postage stamp so it's hard to see the res. on
> that one. I will keep plugging along. Thanks again.

I'm not sure I follow you, but you might be hitting an old and tricky
bug that sometimes causes problems when scaling.  You might try
resizing in steps - eg, scale it about 50% of the way then scale it to
the right size on the next pass.  It's been a while since I had to do
this - I don't remember if I had to do it in just 2 passes or more.

Chris

PS - hit "reply all" to respond to the mailing list ;)
Burnie West
2012-11-17 22:42:52 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On 11/17/2012 12:59 PM, Kamilla Elliott wrote:

Thanks again for your response. Sorry to be unclear. I first made the xcf at 100 ppi, importing photos and adding text; then when I had trouble exporting it to pdf (the photos were too blurry), I re-created it from scratch, setting it at 300ppi using Advanced Options under 'New File'. But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch instead of 11 x 6 inches. So I couldn't see if it was high res, since I had to zoom to about 450% to see it, by which time it was blurry again. I'm trying a new document from scratch with very high res photos to see if that will help. Thanks again for helping me--your e-mail helped me make more progress than I managed to make all day.

I think you might be mixing up image resolution and print size.

Print size can be shown in inches (say 11.75 x 10.69) ormillimeters (say 298 x 271). Image resolution is in pixels per inch (say 72for square pixels) or pixels per mm (2.83 in this case).

The pdf image will normally print in theprint size specified; so when you changed the xcf to 300 from 100 ppi, the print image reduced by a factor of three (so I think it would have printed 4 x 2
rather than 2 x 1 - maybe you used 600 ppi?)

-- Burnie

Liam R E Quin
2012-11-17 22:49:14 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Sat, 2012-11-17 at 12:59 -0800, Kamilla Elliott wrote:

when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch

Check that "File->Print Size" is plausible. It might be that it's using the size from one of the images you pasted.

Always work at either the final resolution or (much better if your computer is up to at) twice that resolution. So if you want to end up with 600dpi, ideally you'd work at 1200dpi in GIMP and resize as the very last step, *after* saving as xcf.gz.

The reason for going double is that processing images tends to reduce quality (it's like food!). The reason for starting at the target resolution or higher is that image software can't invent extra detail for higher resolution.

If you have performance problems, save your work often as .xcf or .xcf.gz (same but smaller files).

When it comes to printing, depending on the platform, File->Page Setup may or may not make a difference.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Chris Mohler
2012-11-17 23:57:27 UTC (over 11 years ago)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Kamilla Elliott wrote:

But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch instead of 11 x 6 inches.

As others have mentioned, check your print size.

If all else fails, export it as PNG or TIFF, create a new document in Scribus, import your image, export as PDF. Scribus has pretty robust PDF output - I've sent quite a few PDFs to print with no issues.

Chris

PS - I now notice you are on the developer mailing list. gimp-user is probably a better option for future requests like these (gimp-devel is more geared toward people hacking on GIMP). No biggie though ;)

Kamilla Elliott
2012-11-18 08:22:52 UTC (over 11 years ago)

Thank you all for your input. Extremely helfpul. Restores my faith in Gimp.

Sorry--didn't mean to subscribe to a developer list. Newbie here.

To: Kamilla Elliott  
Cc: gimp-developer  
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp pdf export turns high res xcf into low res file and distorts text

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Kamilla Elliott
 wrote:
> But when I exported it to pdf, it was teeny tiny--about 2 inches by 1 inch
> instead of 11 x 6 inches.

As others have mentioned, check your print size.

If all else fails, export it as PNG or TIFF, create a new document in
Scribus, import your image, export as PDF.  Scribus has pretty robust
PDF output - I've sent quite a few PDFs to print with no issues.

Chris

PS - I now notice you are on the developer mailing list.  gimp-user is
probably a better option for future requests like these (gimp-devel is
more geared toward people hacking on GIMP).  No biggie though ;)