RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Workflow Tips ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Workflow Tips ? Jerry Baker 20 Nov 13:01
  Workflow Tips ? Chris Moller 20 Nov 15:31
  Workflow Tips ? Sven Neumann 20 Nov 20:50
  Workflow Tips ? bgw 20 Nov 21:20
Jerry Baker
2009-11-20 13:01:51 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Workflow Tips ?

I keep running into the limits of gimp python so I've finally decided to start learning C. In python the development process is a lot faster. Basically "Edit File > Save > Run." - There are a lot more steps involved on the C side...

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for speeding the "Edit > Compile > Install" process up and improving my workflow...

Chris Moller
2009-11-20 15:31:15 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Workflow Tips ?

On 11/20/09 07:01, Jerry Baker wrote:

I keep running into the limits of gimp python so I've finally decided to start learning C. In python the development process is a lot faster. Basically "Edit File> Save> Run." - There are a lot more steps involved on the C side...

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for speeding the "Edit > Compile> Install" process up and improving my workflow...

Without knowing the specifics of what you're doing, all I can suggest is the use of the make utility. You can put just about /anything/ in a Makefile--your compile, link, and install steps can almost certainly be reduced to one operation.

(Re-reading the above however, I noticed I've made the implicit assumption you're using a Linux CLI---if not, never mind...)

Sven Neumann
2009-11-20 20:50:46 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Workflow Tips ?

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 07:01 -0500, Jerry Baker wrote:

I keep running into the limits of gimp python so I've finally decided to start learning C. In python the development process is a lot faster. Basically "Edit File > Save > Run." - There are a lot more steps involved on the C side...

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for speeding the "Edit > Compile > Install" process up and improving my workflow...

Compiling a single C plug-in is rather fast and installing it only takes a few milliseconds. What exactly are you problems with the work-flow? Perhaps it would help if you described your work-flow to us.

Sven

bgw
2009-11-20 21:20:04 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Workflow Tips ?

On 11/20/2009 04:01 AM, Jerry Baker wrote:

I keep running into the limits of gimp python so I've finally decided to start learning C. In python the development process is a lot faster. Basically "Edit File> Save> Run." - There are a lot more steps involved on the C side...

Getting up on C has a pretty steep learning curve compared to Python.

The steps involved in compiling and running are very straightforward, but quickly debugging even relatively simple C programs is quite a bit more complex
than the "Edit > save > run > see problem > re-edit > save > run" workflow that characters typical python workflow.

In many cases, it helps to take the plunge with an integrated development environment (such as Eclipse). But that's a pretty big install even if you just
use the C/C++ option (and, of course, the python option, as you are comfortable
with python).

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for speeding the "Edit > Compile> Install" process up and improving my workflow...