RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp key and mouse references (i18n)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Marco Ciampa 16 Apr 01:34
  gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Roman Joost 16 Apr 14:51
   gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Marco Ciampa 23 Apr 21:38
    gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Roman Joost 24 Apr 15:36
     gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Marco Ciampa 25 Apr 00:50
      gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Axel Wernicke 25 Apr 07:39
       gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Roman Joost 25 Apr 10:29
        gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Axel Wernicke 25 Apr 11:34
         gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Sven Neumann 25 Apr 20:28
          gimp key and mouse references (i18n) Roman Joost 26 Apr 08:57
Marco Ciampa
2007-04-16 01:34:17 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Could someone please tell me how to obtain the keys and mouse references pages for the italian translation of the manual too?

TIA

PS: I'll be unable to read email for about three days so, please, be patient...

bye

Roman Joost
2007-04-16 14:51:10 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Marco,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 01:34:17AM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Could someone please tell me how to obtain the keys and mouse references pages for the italian translation of the manual too?

Actually, this is currently somewhat unfinished work.

I guess it would make sense to use the xmlpo way to add more translations to this file instead of the way we use in the manual. There is a keys.xsl stylesheet for creating a DocBook/XML compliant reference, which is used in our manual.

Cheers,

Marco Ciampa
2007-04-23 21:38:29 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 02:51:10PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

Hi Marco,

I guess it would make sense to use the xmlpo way to add more translations to this file instead of the way we use in the manual. There is a keys.xsl stylesheet for creating a DocBook/XML compliant reference, which is used in our manual.

Hi Roman,
I've started translating keys.xls but still I'm not able to trigger the compilation.

Any hint?

Roman Joost
2007-04-24 15:36:09 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:38:29PM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Hi Marco,

Hi Roman,
I've started translating keys.xls but still I'm not able to trigger the compilation.

Err... you can't translate or at least shouldn't translate the keys.xls. Thats the stylsheet which performs the translation from XML to DocBook/XML. As I wrote, I think it would make sense to extract the strings out of the keys.xml and use the po tools to translate them.

Cheers,

Marco Ciampa
2007-04-25 00:50:51 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:36:09PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

Hi Marco,

Hi Roman,

Err... you can't translate or at least shouldn't translate the keys.xls. Thats the stylsheet which performs the translation from XML to DocBook/XML. As I wrote, I think it would make sense to extract the strings out of the keys.xml and use the po tools to translate them.

So why there are some already (german) translated strings in it? I'm following the DE example...wrong?

bye

Axel Wernicke
2007-04-25 07:39:53 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Marco

2007/4/25, Marco Ciampa :

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:36:09PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

Hi Marco,

DocBook/XML. As I wrote, I think it would make sense to extract the strings out of the keys.xml and use the po tools to translate them.

So why there are some already (german) translated strings in it? I'm following the DE example...wrong?

My fault, I remember to have tried the same as you, but a couple of months ago. There are only one or two entries translated to de. After I realized that this doesn't work that way I threw the translation away (at least I thought so).

IMHO we should look for "somebody" who does a referencecard on a dtp application. Just to have a list of shortcuts on a webpage doesn't make muchs sense to me.

Greetings, lexA

bye

--

Marco Ciampa

+--------------------+ | Linux User #78271 |
| FSFE fellow #364 |
+--------------------+
_______________________________________________ Gimp-docs mailing list
Gimp-docs at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs

Roman Joost
2007-04-25 10:29:20 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:39:53AM +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

DocBook/XML. As I wrote, I think it would make sense to extract the

> strings out of the keys.xml and use the po tools to translate them. So why there are some already (german) translated strings in it? I'm following the DE example...wrong?

My fault, I remember to have tried the same as you, but a couple of months ago. There are only one or two entries translated to de. After I realized that this doesn't work that way I threw the translation away (at least I thought so).

IMHO we should look for "somebody" who does a referencecard on a dtp application. Just to have a list of shortcuts on a webpage doesn't make muchs sense to me.

There is a possibility to create a PDF based reference card, so actually no point to have someone creating this thingy in a DTP application.

It's just needs some work beeing done nothing else...

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-04-25 11:34:17 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi Roman,

2007/4/25, Roman Joost :

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:39:53AM +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

DocBook/XML. As I wrote, I think it would make sense to extract

the

strings out of the keys.xml and use the po tools to translate

them.

My fault, I remember to have tried the same as you, but a couple of

months ago.

There are only one or two entries translated to de. After I realized

that this

doesn't work that way I threw the translation away (at least I thought

so).

IMHO we should look for "somebody" who does a referencecard on a dtp application. Just to have a list of shortcuts on a webpage doesn't make

muchs

sense to me.

There is a possibility to create a PDF based reference card, so actually no point to have someone creating this thingy in a DTP application.

It's just needs some work beeing done nothing else...

so, can you pleas be a bit more specific about the kind of work that needs to be done?
The html is not building this f?r any language except en right now and the only pdf that I know about in terms of this is not a reference card, but a section in the pdf version of the (en) manual where the shortcuts are listed braindeath (but at least sorted) in one single list. I doubt that this is what users help. I thought more about a reference card like the one that can be found at
http://www.digilife.be/quickreferences/QRC/Vi%20Reference%20Card.pdf for vi. Do you think we can do this with reasenable effort with our xml / xsl / pdf way of document production?

Greetings lexA

Greetings,

--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski at gimp.org

_______________________________________________ Gimp-docs mailing list
Gimp-docs at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs

Sven Neumann
2007-04-25 20:28:56 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 11:34 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

The html is not building this f?r any language except en right now and the only pdf that I know about in terms of this is not a reference card, but a section in the pdf version of the (en) manual where the shortcuts are listed braindeath (but at least sorted) in one single list. I doubt that this is what users help. I thought more about a reference card like the one that can be found at http://www.digilife.be/quickreferences/QRC/Vi%20Reference%20Card.pdf for vi. Do you think we can do this with reasenable effort with our xml / xsl / pdf way of document production?

Right. And it used to be such a reference card before we moved it from the GIMP source to the user manual. We did that in the hope that you could maintain it better.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/branches/gimp-2-2/docs/quick_reference.ps http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/branches/gimp-2-2/docs/quick_reference.tar.gz

I would very much welcome if we could at least have an uptodate english version of this.

Sven

Roman Joost
2007-04-26 08:57:36 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:28:56PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 11:34 +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

The html is not building this f?r any language except en right now and the only pdf that I know about in terms of this is not a reference card, but a section in the pdf version of the (en) manual where the shortcuts are listed braindeath (but at least sorted) in one single list. I doubt that this is what users help. I thought more about a reference card like the one that can be found at http://www.digilife.be/quickreferences/QRC/Vi%20Reference%20Card.pdf for vi. Do you think we can do this with reasenable effort with our xml / xsl / pdf way of document production?

Right. And it used to be such a reference card before we moved it from the GIMP source to the user manual. We did that in the hope that you could maintain it better.

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/branches/gimp-2-2/docs/quick_reference.ps http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp/branches/gimp-2-2/docs/quick_reference.tar.gz

I would very much welcome if we could at least have an uptodate english version of this.

And that is the only work which needs to be done. I tried to get a LaTeX expert on this to create a LaTeX template, which is similar to the existing quick_reference. But he don't have the time on this.

The only work which needs to be done is to write a stylesheet which does the transformation from XML -> LaTeX.

It would be nice to have a LaTeX template which calculates the columns automatically depending on the text content. I think there are already LaTeX templates out there which do this.

Maybe a good task to work on during LGM and to fix:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=316423

Cheers,