RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CR+LF in src/menus

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CR+LF in src/menus Nickolay V. Shmyrev 19 Sep 18:05
CR+LF in src/menus Sally C. Barry 20 Sep 07:26
  CR+LF in src/menus Nickolay V. Shmyrev 20 Sep 08:45
   CR+LF in src/menus Axel Wernicke 20 Sep 10:41
   CR+LF in src/menus Roman Joost 24 Sep 02:33
    CR+LF in src/menus Nickolay V. Shmyrev 24 Sep 02:55
CR+LF in src/menus/ Sally C. Barry 20 Sep 18:13
002201c6dc53$893b50c0$bca5f... 07 Oct 20:29
  CR+LF in src/menus Nickolay V. Shmyrev 19 Sep 18:26
   CR+LF in src/menus julien 19 Sep 23:06
    CR+LF in src/menus Axel Wernicke 19 Sep 23:14
     CR+LF in src/menus julien 19 Sep 23:45
      CR+LF in src/menus Roman Joost 20 Sep 00:01
       CR+LF in src/menus julien 20 Sep 06:27
Nickolay V. Shmyrev
2006-09-19 18:05:29 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hi all.

This subdir has a lot of broken files. Is it ok to strip CR and commit such a big change?
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 191 bytes
Desc: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?= Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060919/17a2ff72/attachment.bin

Nickolay V. Shmyrev
2006-09-19 18:26:52 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

? ???, 19/09/2006 ? 21:24 -0400, Sally C. Barry ?????:

Privyet Nickolay,

This subdir has a lot of broken files. Is it ok to strip CR and commit such a big change?

Julien and I just finished working in this directory. Are all of the files affected, or just some of them? If not all of them, which ones are or are not broken? I'd like to find out a little more, so if I am doing something wrong, I can correct it.

Thank you and regards,

Sally

Not all, but quite big part, here is the list (48 of 192)

image-fit-canvas-to-layers.xml image-guides-add-percent.xml
image-guides.xml
image-print-size.xml
layer-colors-auto.xml
layer-duplicate.xml
layer-lower-to-bottom.xml
layer-lower.xml
layer-mask-add.xml
layer-mask-apply.xml
layer-mask-delete.xml
layer-mask-disable.xml
layer-mask-edit.xml
layer-mask-selection-add.xml
layer-mask-selection-intersect.xml
layer-mask-selection-replace.xml
layer-mask-selection-subtract.xml
layer-mask-show.xml
layer-mask.xml
layer-merge-down.xml
layer-new.xml
layer-next.xml
layer-offset.xml
layer-previous.xml
layer-raise-to-top.xml
layer-raise.xml
layer-resize-to-image.xml
layer-resize.xml
layer-rotate-180.xml
layer-rotate-270.xml
layer-rotate-90.xml
layer-rotate-arbitrary.xml
layer-scale.xml
layer-stack.xml
layer-top.xml
layer-transform.xml
layer-transparency.xml
layer-white-balance.xml
menus-edit.xml
menus-file.xml
menus-filters.xml
menus-help.xml
menus-image.xml
menus-introduction.xml
plug-in-threshold-alpha.xml

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available
Size: 191 bytes
Desc: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?= Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060919/42f4ea89/attachment.bin

julien
2006-09-19 23:06:06 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hi,

That's strange: I get no error when I validate and make html. How can you see these CR+LF?

These files were committed on 0819, one month ago. Why this problem does appear now?

Greetings

Julien

Nickolay V. Shmyrev a ?crit :

Privyet Nickolay,

Julien and I just finished working in this directory. Are all of the files affected, or just some of them? If not all of them, which ones are or are not broken? I'd like to find out a little more, so if I am doing something wrong, I can correct it.

Thank you and regards,

Sally

Not all, but quite big part, here is the list (48 of 192)

image-fit-canvas-to-layers.xml image-guides-add-percent.xml
image-guides.xml
image-print-size.xml
layer-colors-auto.xml
layer-duplicate.xml
layer-lower.xml
layer-mask-add.xml
layer-mask-apply.xml
layer-mask-delete.xml
layer-mask-disable.xml
layer-mask-edit.xml
layer-mask-show.xml
layer-mask.xml
layer-merge-down.xml
layer-new.xml
layer-next.xml
layer-offset.xml
layer-previous.xml
layer-raise-to-top.xml
layer-raise.xml
layer-resize.xml
layer-rotate-180.xml
layer-rotate-270.xml
layer-rotate-90.xml
layer-scale.xml
layer-stack.xml
layer-top.xml
layer-transform.xml
layer-transparency.xml
layer-white-balance.xml
menus-edit.xml
menus-file.xml
menus-filters.xml
menus-help.xml
menus-image.xml
menus-introduction.xml

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axel Wernicke
2006-09-19 23:14:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi Julien,

the wrong LF encoding won't break validation and html / pdf creation, but it can be very nasty if your editor doesn't handle them correct. (Mine does, therefore I not even noticed the problem) The second problem is, that it makes it very hard to apply patches since the changed LF encoding means every line was changed ... ... that is the problem roman was experiencing a couple of days ago with the no patch and I had to fight yesterday.

A look to the tool chain might help to solve the problem.

Greetings, lexA

Am 20.09.2006 um 08:06 schrieb julien:

Hi,

That's strange: I get no error when I validate and make html. How can you see these CR+LF?

These files were committed on 0819, one month ago. Why this problem does appear now?

Greetings

Julien

Privyet Nickolay,

This subdir has a lot of broken files. Is it ok to strip CR and commit
such a big change?

Julien and I just finished working in this directory. Are all of the
files affected, or just some of them? If not all of them, which ones
are or are not broken? I'd like to find out a little more, so if I am
doing something wrong, I can correct it.

Thank you and regards,

Sally

Not all, but quite big part, here is the list (48 of 192) image-fit-canvas-to-layers.xml
image-guides-add-percent.xml
image-guides.xml
image-print-size.xml
layer-colors-auto.xml
layer-duplicate.xml
layer-lower.xml
layer-mask-add.xml
layer-mask-apply.xml
layer-mask-delete.xml
layer-mask-disable.xml
layer-mask-edit.xml
layer-mask-show.xml
layer-mask.xml
layer-merge-down.xml
layer-new.xml
layer-next.xml
layer-offset.xml
layer-previous.xml
layer-raise-to-top.xml
layer-raise.xml
layer-resize.xml
layer-rotate-180.xml
layer-rotate-270.xml
layer-rotate-90.xml
layer-scale.xml
layer-stack.xml
layer-top.xml
layer-transform.xml
layer-transparency.xml
layer-white-balance.xml
menus-edit.xml
menus-file.xml
menus-filters.xml
menus-help.xml
menus-image.xml
menus-introduction.xml
-------------------------------------------------------------------

julien
2006-09-19 23:45:19 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hi Axel,

I can't see these CR+LF too, with Kate. I can't correct errors that I can't see :-( Which XML editor must I use for that?

Greetings

Axel Wernicke a ?crit :

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi Julien,

the wrong LF encoding won't break validation and html / pdf creation, but it can be very nasty if your editor doesn't handle them correct. (Mine does, therefore I not even noticed the problem) The second problem is, that it makes it very hard to apply patches since the changed LF encoding means every line was changed ... ... that is the problem roman was experiencing a couple of days ago with the no patch and I had to fight yesterday.

A look to the tool chain might help to solve the problem.

Greetings, lexA

Am 20.09.2006 um 08:06 schrieb julien:

Hi,

Greetings

Julien

Privyet Nickolay,

Thank you and regards,

Sally

Not all, but quite big part, here is the list (48 of 192) image-fit-canvas-to-layers.xml
image-guides-add-percent.xml
image-guides.xml
image-print-size.xml
layer-colors-auto.xml
layer-duplicate.xml
layer-lower.xml
layer-mask-add.xml
layer-mask-apply.xml
layer-mask-delete.xml
layer-mask-disable.xml
layer-mask-edit.xml
layer-mask-show.xml
layer-mask.xml
layer-merge-down.xml
layer-new.xml
layer-next.xml
layer-offset.xml
layer-previous.xml
layer-raise-to-top.xml
layer-raise.xml
layer-resize.xml
layer-rotate-180.xml
layer-rotate-270.xml
layer-rotate-90.xml
layer-scale.xml
layer-stack.xml
layer-top.xml
layer-transform.xml
layer-transparency.xml
layer-white-balance.xml
menus-edit.xml
menus-file.xml
menus-filters.xml
menus-help.xml
menus-image.xml
menus-introduction.xml

Roman Joost
2006-09-20 00:01:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:45:23AM +0200, julien wrote:

I can't see these CR+LF too, with Kate. I can't correct errors that I can't see :-( Which XML editor must I use for that?

I'm not sure if you need a specific editor to see those non-printable characters (I doubt it). Isn't there any option for Kate to display non-printable characters?

In doubt you might want to try vim, emacs etc...

Greetings,

julien
2006-09-20 06:27:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

No, I don't see. I only have the possibility to display dynamic CR's I installed Vim: No option for non-printable characters... (and, abar to using it, impossible to set utf-8).
Could you tell me in which line of set-canvas-to-layer.xml there is a CR+LF ?

Greetings

Julien Roman Joost a ?crit :

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:45:23AM +0200, julien wrote:

I'm not sure if you need a specific editor to see those non-printable characters (I doubt it). Isn't there any option for Kate to display non-printable characters?

In doubt you might want to try vim, emacs etc...

Greetings,

Sally C. Barry
2006-09-20 07:26:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hello All -

It looks like I have found the source of the problems with the src/menus/ files.

I am working on Windows. I installed Notepad++ to edit the files, which seems to work fine.

Julien was sending me .tar.gz files with the .xml files for me to edit. I was able to unpack these with the free WinZip program. All seemed well, but in fact, they were in Dos format.

I just compared the files I unpacked with WinZip with ones I was able to unpack using Linux tools (on the Knoppix live CD, which is how I run Gimp). Julien's original .tar.gz files unpacked fine, in Unix cr/lf format. That means the problem was in WinZip unpacking them.

I went exploring in WinZip and found an interesting default setting. In the version I have, go to the Classic Interface, use Options->Configuration, choose the
Miscellaneous tab, and uncheck the option for "TAR file smart CR/LF conversion" box. It looks that should work a lot better if you are sending Unix formatted file by mail.

After unchecking this option, I unpacked one of the previous .tar.gz file Julien sent me and the files were unpacked in Unix format. QED

It seems like many programs try to "help you out" by setting bad defaults. For example in Notepad++, I had to use Settings->Preference, the MISC tab, and then in the Tab Setting section, check "Replace by space". Even though I never use the tab key, it was inserting tabs in the file for me unless I did this.

By the way, I do encounter tabs sometimes in the GIMP files I have edited, so please make sure to check the settings of your favorite editor and don't use the tab key when you're editing.

I also discovered that Knoppix has several different names for a utility to convert dos-formatted files to unix-formatted files. I assume that most other Linuxes do, too. I used dos2unix as a test. When I used it on a random Dos-formatted file, it seemed to work OK. When I used it on a random Windows-formatted file, it didn't seem to hurt it.

Might it be possible (or a good idea) to use a command like this as a front-end to a cvs checkin automatically? I don't know if this is do-able or how to do it, but it seems like a possibility.

Red-facedly yours,

Sally

Nickolay V. Shmyrev
2006-09-20 08:45:49 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Might it be possible (or a good idea) to use a command like this as a front-end to a cvs checkin automatically? I don't know if this is do-able or how to do it, but it seems like a possibility.

Red-facedly yours,

Sally, really there is no problem with that CR+LF, it's very easy to clean them, sorry for any troubles. The only thing that I am asking is - may I commit this large fix? Let me emphasis the question: "May I commit a fix?" :)

Btw, kate doesn't show CR, I use mcedit from Midnight commander, it nicely shows ^M in the end of lines. Kate seems to have an option for Unix/Dos EOLs but it's selected automatically according to the file contents. There is also a nice option to strip trailing backspaces in preferences, it will strip the CR symbols.

To drop such bugs in the future we may want to apply the following patch to makefile which adds additional check to validation rule.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: patch.diff
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 1019 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060920/76bf7eb1/patch.bin

Axel Wernicke
2006-09-20 10:41:36 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: Signierter Teil der Nachricht
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060920/941c305c/PGP.bin

Sally C. Barry
2006-09-20 18:13:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus/

Hello Nickolay and All -

As far as I am concerned, you may check corrected versions of these files into cvs. According to the docs WIP Wiki page, Julien is still the one working on them, so I think he should be the one to give you the go-ahead.

Thank you very much for providing the patch to the verification tools, so that this can be caught in the future before files are actually checked into cvs. I know this isn't the first time it's happened, and it will be good to have an automatic warning before it happens again.

Regards,

Sally

Roman Joost
2006-09-24 02:33:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hi Nickolay,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:49:35PM +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:

Sally, really there is no problem with that CR+LF, it's very easy to clean them, sorry for any troubles. The only thing that I am asking is - may I commit this large fix? Let me emphasis the question: "May I commit a fix?" :)

If you haven't committed your big fix yet, do it :)

Greetings,

Nickolay V. Shmyrev
2006-09-24 02:55:18 UTC (over 17 years ago)

CR+LF in src/menus

Hi Nickolay,

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:49:35PM +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:

If you haven't committed your big fix yet, do it :)

Greetings,

Done already, sorry that I haven't notified the list