RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

File size too large

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

File size too large words44 26 Apr 03:53
  File size too large Steve Kinney 26 Apr 16:32
  File size too large rich2005 26 Apr 17:49
   File size too large words44 27 Apr 00:22
    File size too large rich2005 27 Apr 08:40
     File size too large Mark Morin 27 Apr 17:35
      File size too large Liam R E Quin 08 May 17:07
  File size too large Amira_Cervantes 08 Dec 15:54
2017-04-26 03:53:44 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

File size too large

I received an error message after uploading a photo for an event calendar. It read "The image file is too big! Maximum size: 500,000"

I've tried reducing the pixels. I'm not sure what it's referring to.

There is no CONTACT US section at this website to contact them to ask this question.

Thanks for your help. Links to explain the solution would be helpful.

Steve Kinney
2017-04-26 16:32:01 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

File size too large

On 04/25/2017 11:53 PM, words44 wrote:

I received an error message after uploading a photo for an event calendar. It read
"The image file is too big! Maximum size: 500,000"

There is no CONTACT US section at this website to contact them to ask this question.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/561/original/Rev_Johns_Photo.jpg

The file linked above is only 119 kilobytes; that's about 1/4 the size limit indicated above. That indicates a technical error at the website in question; the lack of accessible contact info for the website's maintainer(s) indicates technical incompetence.

I'm afraid there's no way fix "stupid." You might try downloading a file of the same type from the site, to check its size, and scale/compress yours to match. Using another event calendar service entirely (i.e. Google Calendar or etc.) may be a better option than working with a proven non-performing one...

:o/

rich2005
2017-04-26 17:49:35 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

File size too large

I received an error message after uploading a photo for an event calendar. It read

The image has a 'print' pixels-per-inch (dpi) of 350 which might be throwing things off.

Does the site give any physical image size requirements? width inches x height inches?

2017-04-27 00:22:55 UTC (almost 7 years ago)
postings

File size too large

The image has a 'print' pixels-per-inch (dpi) of 350 which might be throwing things off.

Does the site give any physical image size requirements? width inches x height inches?

No, the site does not give any physical image size requirements like width inches or height inches. What do you suggest I change the print dpi to? Thanks for your suggestion.

rich2005
2017-04-27 08:40:30 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

File size too large

No, the site does not give any physical image size requirements like width inches
or height inches. What do you suggest I change the print dpi to? Thanks for your suggestion.

As Steve Kinney pointed out you file is well below the threshold given, so you have to start looking for other reasons. Not a good service, if clear details of requirements are not given. That error message might just be a catch-all.

You could try the attached, it is a small jpeg same as your image but the ppi is 250 and even if unpacked at the web-site end should be less than 500 kb.

Mark Morin
2017-04-27 17:35:08 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

File size too large

Is this an on line event calendar or something that will be forwarded to printers? For material that is going to be displayed on line, anything much over 72 dpi is overkill. Most monitors display at 72 dpi. If you have a 2" x 2" image at 72 dpi but convert and upload it to 144 dpi, it is going to display on screen as 4" x 4". Pump up the dpi further and you will have an image that you have to use the scroll bars to see in it's entirety.

If it is for print, contact the printers and ask for their specs. I seem to recall 150 dpi as the preference when I worked at a printer.

If my logic is off, please educate me.

On 4/27/2017 4:40 AM, rich2005 wrote:

No, the site does not give any physical image size requirements like width inches
or height inches. What do you suggest I change the print dpi to? Thanks for your suggestion.

As Steve Kinney pointed out you file is well below the threshold given, so you have to start looking for other reasons. Not a good service, if clear details of requirements are not given. That error message might just be a catch-all.

You could try the attached, it is a small jpeg same as your image but the ppi is 250 and even if unpacked at the web-site end should be less than 500 kb.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/562/original/Rev_Johns_Photo.jpg

Liam R E Quin
2017-05-08 17:07:20 UTC (almost 7 years ago)

File size too large

A minor nit, but one that can cause quite a bit of confusion...

On Thu, 2017-04-27 at 13:35 -0400, Mark Morin wrote:

. Most monitors display at 72 dpi.

This has not actually been true for many years. Macs used to display at 72dpi 15 to 20 years ago, for fidelity with PostScript laser printers and typesetting equipment.

My laptop is actually closer to 144dpi. However, for the Web, CSS assumes a baseline of 96dpi - that is, 1px in CSS is 1/96". Modern Apple systems are closer to 300dpi and that's starting to be more common in Windows systems too, so you can add a scale factor for images to get higher pixel density; the ipad uses 3x these days I think.

To send to a printer, for an art magazine you want 300 pixels per inch, so that they can halve it when they make a 150 line per inch screen; for newsprint at a 75 line per inch screen you need to send 150 ppi. The print world has changed a lot in the past decade because of digital plates.

If you
have a 2" x 2" image at 72 dpi but convert and upload it to 144 dpi, it
is going to display on screen as 4" x 4".

If you try this with a ruler and a Web browser you might be surprised :) (depending on how your system is configured). It's changed.

The exact result you get will also depend on how you "convert" to 144dpi - whether you just change the dpi metadata in the image or whether your image program inserts more pixels, but don't expect an exact size on any monitor.

Best,

Liam

Liam R E Quin 
2017-12-08 15:54:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

File size too large

Its seem like just a technical error at the website. please let us know if you have figure out the problem.