RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Nick Wilson 08 Aug 15:43
  GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Jonathan Bartlett 08 Aug 15:49
  GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Joao S. O. Bueno 08 Aug 15:55
  GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Dave Neary 08 Aug 18:41
1060430731.3f34e38b7f953@im... 07 Oct 20:15
  GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Nick Wilson 09 Aug 15:21
   GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Dave Neary 10 Aug 04:00
   GLIB not found in RH9 - Advice please? Nick Wilson 11 Aug 09:17
Nick Wilson
2003-08-08 15:43:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi all,

I tried compiling 1.3.9 on my RedHat9 system and it couldn't find GLIB 2.0 or higher. I do appear to have GLIB in /usr/lib/glib and I'm fairly sure it's the latest version.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks...

Jonathan Bartlett
2003-08-08 15:49:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Did you install the -devel packages?

Jon

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Nick Wilson wrote:

Hi all,

I tried compiling 1.3.9 on my RedHat9 system and it couldn't find GLIB 2.0 or higher. I do appear to have GLIB in /usr/lib/glib and I'm fairly sure it's the latest version.

Many thanks... --
Nick W

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-08 15:55:38 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Friday 08 August 2003 10:43 am, Nick Wilson wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks...

Try to install glib-devel package, and other -devel of whatever is being asked.

But....why do you want to compoile 1.3.9 ? Itt would be highly inappropriate - you should go for teh latest 1.3.17 ,a s this develeopment branch changes a lot from one edition to anoither, and none of them is fully featured for production usage,

Dave Neary
2003-08-08 18:41:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quoting Nick Wilson :

Hi all,

Hi,

If you are compiling a development series, it makes very little sense to build an old one, unless you're testing a performance regression or something like that (if you are, then great!). But if you aren't, then you should consider building the later version. Not only is it more likely to be usable for day-to-day work, it is also the only version of the devel series for which bugs are considered (by which I mean, if you have a bug you are likely to be asked to check that it's also present in the latest version).

In any case, all of the dependencies are detailed in the INSTALL file that came with your distribution. In brief, for 1.3.17, you will need a working installation of gtk+ (with development headers installed), including the freetype2 back-end to pango (for the text tool, you will need pangoft2, and fontconfig). In addition, you will need development headers for png, tiff and jpeg libraries, and if you don't want to install gimp-print, you need to say so explicitly by compiling with --disable-print. Everything you need to get gtk+ going, if it isn't already (which it is if you're on RedHat 9) is available at ftp.gnome.org and freedesktop.org.

That said, all that you probably need to do is install the -devel packages for the already-present gtk+ packages.

Oh - also, note that 1.3.9 might not work with gtk+ 2.2 - back then we were still building against 2.0.

Good luck!

Cheers, Dave.

Nick Wilson
2003-08-09 15:21:52 UTC (over 20 years ago)

* and then Dave Neary declared....

That said, all that you probably need to do is install the -devel packages

for

the already-present gtk+ packages.

Would you know how to check what I have or have not got? - I'm still getting the glib error on 3.17

rpm -qa | grep gtk

will tell you what rpms with gtk in the name you have installed, and their versions (you should have gtk+ in there, and it should be version 2.2.2 or later, ideally). After that, you should check if you see a gtk+-devel package (a similar search for glib and glib-devel could be helpful too).

Right, here's what I have for gtk:

gtk2-2.2.1-4 gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-1.99.14-5
authconfig-gtk-4.3.4-1
gtkam-0.1.7-3
gtk+-1.2.10-25
gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5
pygtk2-1.99.14-4
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.14-4
gtk+-devel-1.2.10-25
usermode-gtk-1.67-2
pygtk2-devel-1.99.14-4
gtkglarea-1.2.2-16
gtkhtml-1.1.9-0.9

...and for glib:

glib-1.2.10-10 glib2-2.2.1-1
glibc-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.10
glib-devel-1.2.10-10
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9

and the last few lines for the ./configure output:

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GLIB - version >= 2.2.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.

Thanks for taking time out to help Dave, much appreciated ;-)

No problem. By the way, would you mind keeping this on the list? I guess there might have been a reason to take it off list, but I don't see one :) So if you have any other questions, could you put gimp-user on the cc, please? Thanks.

heh! How odd. The first mail I got from you ended up straight in my inbox rather than the gimp mailbox so I figured you wanted the discussion off-list for some reason! ;-) - List now cc'd....

So, does that output give any clues? All it tells me is that I should be better at doing stuff like this heh! - I can't fathom it....?

Dave Neary
2003-08-10 04:00:28 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Quoting Nick Wilson :

rpm -qa | grep gtk

will tell you what rpms with gtk in the name you have installed, and their versions (you should have gtk+ in there, and it should be version 2.2.2 or later, ideally). After that, you should check if you see a gtk+-devel

package (a

similar search for glib and glib-devel could be helpful too).

gtk+-1.2.10-25
gtk+-devel-1.2.10-25
...and for glib:

glib-1.2.10-10 glib-devel-1.2.10-10

These versions of gtk+ and glib is too old.

gtk2-2.2.1-4

Weird. You have a recent version of gtk+ installed, which implies the newer version of glib (unless you're a naughty boy and install everything -f). But you don't. In any case, you don't have gtk2-devel installed. And you should consider upgrading to 2.2.2 if you use any XInput devices.

and the last few lines for the ./configure output:

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GLIB - version >= 2.2.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.

Your exact error is likely to be "glib-2.0.pc not found". You really need to make sure that you search for and install the RedHat devel RPMs for gtk+ 2.2.

heh! How odd. The first mail I got from you ended up straight in my inbox rather than the gimp mailbox so I figured you wanted the discussion off-list for some reason! ;-) - List now cc'd....

It just means that I did a Reply-all, which probably didn't trigger procmail (or perhaps I forgot). Anyway, the list is good :)

Cheers, Dave.

Nick Wilson
2003-08-11 09:17:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

* and then Nick Wilson declared....

That said, all that you probably need to do is install the -devel packages

for

the already-present gtk+ packages.

Would you know how to check what I have or have not got? - I'm still getting the glib error on 3.17

Right, for any that have the same problem:

Follow the install instructions over at www.gtk.org BUT when installing do --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc and your installations will overwrite the current ones.

THanks again..