RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fonts & GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fonts & GIMP Matt Narramore 13 May 05:58
  Fonts & GIMP Carol Spears 13 May 06:50
   Fonts & GIMP Carl-Johan Sveningsson 13 May 06:47
    Fonts & GIMP Sven Neumann 13 May 13:09
Matt Narramore
2003-05-13 05:58:51 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts & GIMP

I have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to install some new fonts for use with GIMP. Open Office Writer now recognizes them but not GIMP.

I am running GIMP 1.2.3 under Red Hat Linux 8 and the Gnome desktop. The fonts are on a CD from the FontSite and are available as both Type 1 and True Type.

The font CD was intended for Mac or Windows so there were no fonts.dir files with them. Since the Type 1 fonts were in 157 separate folders which I didn't want to add individually to the X Font Server path and create individual fonts.dir files for each one I instead created a folder in /usr/share/fonts for the True Type fonts which were all in one folder on the CD. After all the instructions didn't work I just tried something else and they do show up in Open Office Writer (on screen at least, I didn't think about trying to print anything).

Does anyone have any ideas on getting GIMP to find them?

Thanks,

Matt

Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2003-05-13 06:47:18 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts & GIMP

Hey, what's this?

I'm sorry, but I was just surprised, seem I've missed the precense of a freetype plugin. How (well) does this work?

I only know that I too have been through the Redhat 8.0 confusion with running xfs in parallell with fontconfig, so now many of my fonts, but not all, can access my 500+ fonts. Most frustrating right now is that gimp claim some of them are...broken 2-byte fonts or something.

I've understood that gimp-1.2 interact with xfs, while 1.3 have switched to Gtk2/fontconfig-dependence, right? Installing the freetype plugin would mean yet another path from my fonts file to screen rendering of the same? :-)

But perhaps freetype actually does a good job in the rendering, I shall certainly have a look at it, thanks for mentioning it!

Best regards Carl-Johan Sveningsson

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Carol Spears wrote:

i am only able to access my fonts (via gimp-1.2) using the gimp freetype plug-in. the configure button seems to skip a lot of x confusion.

http://freetype.gimp.org version 0.2

carol

On 2003-05-12 at 2358.51 -0400, Matt Narramore typed this:

I have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to install some new fonts for use with GIMP. Open Office Writer now recognizes them but not GIMP.

I am running GIMP 1.2.3 under Red Hat Linux 8 and the Gnome desktop. The fonts are on a CD from the FontSite and are available as both Type 1 and True Type.

The font CD was intended for Mac or Windows so there were no fonts.dir files with them. Since the Type 1 fonts were in 157 separate folders which I didn't want to add individually to the X Font Server path and create individual fonts.dir files for each one I instead created a folder in /usr/share/fonts for the True Type fonts which were all in one folder on the CD. After all the instructions didn't work I just tried something else and they do show up in Open Office Writer (on screen at least, I didn't think about trying to print anything).

Thanks,

Matt

Carol Spears
2003-05-13 06:50:15 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts & GIMP

i am only able to access my fonts (via gimp-1.2) using the gimp freetype plug-in. the configure button seems to skip a lot of x confusion.

http://freetype.gimp.org version 0.2

carol

On 2003-05-12 at 2358.51 -0400, Matt Narramore typed this:

Thanks,

Matt

Sven Neumann
2003-05-13 13:09:13 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts & GIMP

Hi,

Carl-Johan Sveningsson writes:

I'm sorry, but I was just surprised, seem I've missed the precense of a freetype plugin. How (well) does this work?

I only know that I too have been through the Redhat 8.0 confusion with running xfs in parallell with fontconfig, so now many of my fonts, but not all, can access my 500+ fonts. Most frustrating right now is that gimp claim some of them are...broken 2-byte fonts or something.

I've understood that gimp-1.2 interact with xfs, while 1.3 have switched to Gtk2/fontconfig-dependence, right? Installing the freetype plugin would mean yet another path from my fonts file to screen rendering of the same? :-)

The freetype plug-in was meant as an early prototype for the new text tool. The new text tool is still missing a few features of gimp-freetype but basically you shouldn't need gimp-freetype for gimp-1.3 when the new text tool is finished.

But perhaps freetype actually does a good job in the rendering, I shall certainly have a look at it, thanks for mentioning it!

The rendering is a lot better than the standard 1.2 text tool. It actually does real antialiasing instead of the blur that the 1.2 text tool applies.

Sven