RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";}

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";} Foltin, Ulrike 02 May 11:53
  your mail Ricky Buchanan 02 May 14:08
   your mail Geoffrey 02 May 14:55
    your mail Carol Spears 02 May 19:32
a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";} valerio de iacovo 09 May 12:42
  Sven Neumann 09 May 12:58
   John Culleton 09 May 18:39
    valerio de iacovo 09 May 18:47
    Sven Neumann 09 May 18:52
     John Culleton 09 May 19:15
      Sven Neumann 09 May 19:26
Foltin, Ulrike
2003-05-02 11:53:42 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hello,

we are a group of students of business administration in germany. For a project we are supposed to present some facts about the GIMP. Could you please be so kind to provide us with information about projecthistory, degree of distribution, number of downloads, versions/releasedates, mailinglists, decision rules (who is allowed to change the source code?), documentation and the number of modules?

Thanx

Ulrike

Ricky Buchanan
2003-05-02 14:08:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

your mail

Foltin, Ulrike wrote:

we are a group of students of business administration in germany. For a project we are supposed to present some facts about the GIMP. Could you please be so kind to provide us with information about projecthistory, degree of distribution, number of downloads, versions/releasedates, mailinglists, decision rules (who is allowed to change the source code?), documentation and the number of modules?

What efforts did you go to to find these things out yourselves?

Regards, Ricky&

Geoffrey
2003-05-02 14:55:27 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

your mail

Ricky Buchanan wrote:

Foltin, Ulrike wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds to me like this is a research project and it would be up to the students to do the research rather then requesting the info as such. ???

Carol Spears
2003-05-02 19:32:12 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

your mail

http://www.google.com was suggested as the new web site, actually. you might start there to see why. the people who work on the gimp use google a lot.

carol

On 2003-05-02 at 0855.27 -0400, Geoffrey typed this:

Ricky Buchanan wrote:

Foltin, Ulrike wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds to me like this is a research project and it would be up to the students to do the research rather then requesting the info as such. ???

valerio de iacovo
2003-05-09 12:42:29 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi there,

I have a little newbie problem: I have to resize a PS image, but I think I'm not following the right way. I tried to scale it and then save it in PS format, but the new file looks very unfocused. I tried to print it to a PS file, but then I'm not able to read it with gv (gives some message error). What's the better way to do that for you?

TIA

Sven Neumann
2003-05-09 12:58:31 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

valerio de iacovo writes:

I have a little newbie problem: I have to resize a PS image, but I think I'm not following the right way. I tried to scale it and then save it in PS format, but the new file looks very unfocused. I tried to print it to a PS file, but then I'm not able to read it with gv (gives some message error). What's the better way to do that for you?

GIMP is the wrong tool for manipulating PostScript files. There are a couple of command-line utilities that deal with PS files. psresize should do the trick for you.

Sven

John Culleton
2003-05-09 18:39:44 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 09 May 2003 06:58 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

GIMP is the wrong tool for manipulating PostScript files. There are a couple of command-line utilities that deal with PS files. psresize should do the trick for you.

Routinely I fire up Gimp, acquire an image with Xsane called from Gimp, resize it using image->image-size, if necessary diddle it a bit with image->colors->curves and then save as an EPS postscript file. This is not a terribly convenient process (the save always tries to offset the image) but it does work.

PSresize requires that you know in advance the input size and the output size. with Gimp you just resize it to what you want.

To each their own, however.

John Culleton

valerio de iacovo
2003-05-09 18:47:12 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Il ven, 2003-05-09 alle 18:39, John Culleton ha scritto:

On Friday 09 May 2003 06:58 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I have a little newbie problem: I have to resize a PS image, but I think I'm not following the right way. I tried to scale it and then save it in PS format, but the new file looks very unfocused. I tried to print it to a PS file, but then I'm not able to read it with gv (gives some message

file:///home/valerio/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/eek-0019abbacd.desktop> error). What's the better way to do that for you?

Routinely I fire up Gimp, acquire an image with Xsane called from Gimp, resize it using image->image-size, if necessary diddle it a bit with image->colors->curves and then save as an EPS postscript file. This is not a terribly convenient process (the save always tries to offset the image) but it does work.

PSresize requires that you know in advance the input size and the output size. with Gimp you just resize it to what you want.

To each their own, however.

Using gimp and saving as EPS costs a dramatic lose of quality... or do I have to select some strange option?

Sven Neumann
2003-05-09 18:52:45 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

Postscript is a rather bad choice for pixel data. While Postscript can handle pixel data, it was designed to be used with vector data. There are other formats such as PNG that are a lot better suited to store your scans in.

The problem with using GIMP for this task is that it converts Postscript to pixel data when you open an EPS file. Thus you are loosing all the nice features that Postscript offers such as scalable vector graphics, resolution-independent fonts, ... The EPS file that GIMP creates will be of poor quality compared with what you can achieve with real Postscript tools.

Salut, Sven

John Culleton
2003-05-09 19:15:32 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 09 May 2003 12:52 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

Postscript is a rather bad choice for pixel data. While Postscript can handle pixel data, it was designed to be used with vector data. There are other formats such as PNG that are a lot better suited to store your scans in.

The problem with using GIMP for this task is that it converts Postscript to pixel data when you open an EPS file. Thus you are loosing all the nice features that Postscript offers such as scalable vector graphics, resolution-independent fonts, ... The EPS file that GIMP creates will be of poor quality compared with what you can achieve with real Postscript tools.

Salut, Sven

A scan is already in pixel data. So in my case I am not losing anything significant. I need to go from a scan to a booklet. My typesettting software uses eps for non-text objects.

I blow up sheet music about 30% and everything is eminently readable.

If I had the original PostScript file available that would be a different story. It clearly depends on the application.

John Culleton

Sven Neumann
2003-05-09 19:26:44 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

If I had the original PostScript file available that would be a different story. It clearly depends on the application.

Sure, but that's exactly the story we talked about. Valerio asked how to resize a postscript file.

Sven