Sign up now! · Forgot password?
RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Embedded jpg info Solved!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Gérald 14 Apr 21:10
  Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Nigel Ridley 15 Apr 05:20
   Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Rory Grant 15 Apr 05:41
    Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Nigel Ridley 15 Apr 11:40
   Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Ron Stanonik 16 Apr 17:24
    Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley) Nigel Ridley 16 Apr 18:22
     Embedded jpg info Solved! Nigel Ridley 20 Apr 20:06
20030414190403.5DB5B10134@l... 07 Oct 20:15
Gérald
2003-04-14 21:10:59 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

I downloaded some pics from my digital camera into Konqueror (KDE 3.0) but something happened in the process and now Konqueror won't display the thumbnails for all of them.
I have tried renaming them, copying them to a different dir and even using the Gimp to cteate a new image - ctrl a, ctrl c and pasting into the new image, then saving as a completely different file name - all to no avail; Konq still will not show it as a thumbnail. I did have a partial success by only selecting a small portion of the image and pasting it into a new image then saving it under a new name - which leads me to believe that there is some info embedded in the actual jpg data.

How can I erase that info so that Konq will display the images as thumbnails?

Blessings,

I think this is a question of settings in KDE have a look in KDE config center under file manager ....

Nigel Ridley
2003-04-15 05:20:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:10:59 -0400 Gérald wrote:

I downloaded some pics from my digital camera into Konqueror (KDE 3.0) but something happened in the process and now Konqueror won't display the thumbnails for all of them. I have tried renaming them, copying them to a different dir and even using the Gimp to cteate a new image - ctrl a, ctrl c and pasting into the new image, then saving as a completely different file name - all to no avail; Konq still will not show it as a thumbnail. I did have a partial success by only selecting a small portion of the image and pasting it into a new image then saving it under a new name - which leads me to believe that there is some info embedded in the actual jpg data.

How can I erase that info so that Konq will display the images as thumbnails?

Blessings,

I think this is a question of settings in KDE have a look in KDE config center under file manager ....

Rory Grant
2003-04-15 05:41:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

I don't know about Konqueror, but in nautilus their is a setting to control the maximum filesize of an image that will be rendered as a thumbnail. Are the *invisible* jpgs large files? Or are they similar in size to your other ones. This would be consistent with the behaviour you described when saving part of the image in a different file.

It is not really a config problem as I have *View > Preview > Images* selected. The problem is that only some of the jpgs show up as thumbnails and no matter what I do, I can't get the ones that don't now show up [as thumbnails] to show up -- not even creating a new image from them, as I detailed in my first post.

This is what leads me to believe that there must be some sort of embedded info in them.

Blessings,

Nigel

I AM Bible Studies and Resources http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com http://www.messianicecards.com

OliveRoot Ministries http://www.oliveroot.net
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Nigel Ridley
2003-04-15 11:40:35 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

On 15 Apr 2003 15:41:30 +1200
Rory Grant wrote:

I don't know about Konqueror, but in nautilus their is a setting to control the maximum filesize of an image that will be rendered as a thumbnail. Are the *invisible* jpgs large files? Or are they similar in size to your other ones. This would be consistent with the behaviour you described when saving part of the image in a different file.

It is not really a config problem as I have *View > Preview > Images* selected. The problem is that only some of the jpgs show up as thumbnails and no matter what I do, I can't get the ones that don't now show up [as thumbnails] to show up -- not even creating a new image from them, as I detailed in my first post.

This is what leads me to believe that there must be some sort of embedded info in them.

Blessings,

Nigel

I AM Bible Studies and Resources http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com http://www.messianicecards.com

OliveRoot Ministries http://www.oliveroot.net
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Ron Stanonik
2003-04-16 17:24:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Nigel Ridley wrote:

This is what leads me to believe that there must be some sort of embedded info in them.

Yes. The files are probably EXIF, not JPG. An EXIF files looks like a JPG file, but can contain additional information, including a thumbnail. Since EXIF looks like JPG, an image application can open it, but unless the application knows EXIF it will lose the additional information when it writes out. ImageMagick seems to preserve the additional information. I haven't tested Gimp.

The Canon cameras come with an application, ZoomBrowser, for downloading images. ZoomBrowser can display the additional information and uses the thumbnail for its visual directory, but when ZoomBrowser exports an image to a JPG file, it removes additional information. For that reason, we use a CF card reader to just copy the .jpg files (really EXIF) from the CF card.

See

www.exif.org.

Ron Stanonik stanonik@cogsci.ucsd.edu

Nigel Ridley
2003-04-16 18:22:12 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info (Nigel Ridley)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:24:51 -0700 (PDT) Ron Stanonik wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Nigel Ridley wrote:

This is what leads me to believe that there must be some sort of embedded info in them.

Yes. The files are probably EXIF, not JPG. An EXIF files looks like a JPG file, but can contain additional information, including a thumbnail. Since EXIF looks like JPG, an image application can open it, but unless the application knows EXIF it will lose the additional information when it writes out. ImageMagick seems to preserve the additional information. I haven't tested Gimp.

The Canon cameras come with an application, ZoomBrowser, for downloading images. ZoomBrowser can display the additional information and uses the thumbnail for its visual directory, but when ZoomBrowser exports an image to a JPG file, it removes additional information. For that reason, we use a CF card reader to just copy the .jpg files (really EXIF) from the CF card.

See

www.exif.org.

Ron Stanonik stanonik@cogsci.ucsd.edu

Thanks - but the problem still exists after I have saved the image [as a new image - copied, pasted] as a jpg using the Gimp. I just can't get Konqueror to display it as a thumbnail !???

I kind of got around the problem by using a neat little program called igal http://www.stanford.edu/~epop/igal/

Blessings,

Nigel

I AM Bible Studies and Resources http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com http://www.messianicecards.com

OliveRoot Ministries http://www.oliveroot.net

Nigel Ridley
2003-04-20 20:06:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Embedded jpg info Solved!

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:22:12 +0300 Nigel Ridley wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:24:51 -0700 (PDT) Ron Stanonik wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Nigel Ridley wrote:

This is what leads me to believe that there must be some sort of embedded info in them.

Yes. The files are probably EXIF, not JPG. An EXIF files looks like a JPG file, but can contain additional information, including a thumbnail. Since EXIF looks like JPG, an image application can open it, but unless the application knows EXIF it will lose the additional information when it writes out. ImageMagick seems to preserve the additional information. I haven't tested Gimp.

The Canon cameras come with an application, ZoomBrowser, for downloading images. ZoomBrowser can display the additional information and uses the thumbnail for its visual directory, but when ZoomBrowser exports an image to a JPG file, it removes additional information. For that reason, we use a CF card reader to just copy the .jpg files(really EXIF) from the CF card.

See

www.exif.org.

Ron Stanonik stanonik@cogsci.ucsd.edu

Thanks - but the problem still exists after I have saved the image [as a new image - copied, pasted] as a jpg using the Gimp. I just can't get Konqueror to display it as a thumbnail !???

I kind of got around the problem by using a neat little program called igal http://www.stanford.edu/~epop/igal/

Blessings,

Nigel

I AM Bible Studies and Resources http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com http://www.messianicecards.com

OliveRoot Ministries http://www.oliveroot.net