RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

save B&W TIFF (Class F Group 4 compression)?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

save B&W TIFF (Class F Group 4 compression)? Eric Smith 23 Mar 07:17
  save B&W TIFF (Class F Group 4 compression)? John Culleton 23 Mar 19:55
Eric Smith
2003-03-23 07:17:11 UTC (about 21 years ago)

I need to edit some B&W TIFF files, which are stored using TIFF Class F Group 4 fax compression (2D coding, ITU-T T.6 standard). GIMP can open these just fine, though they wind up being grayscale images. I can convert them to indexed black & white images. When I try to save them as TIFF, I am given several compression choices, of which G4 is not listed. However, it appears that if I simply select "None", it does try to do what I want. But I get the error messages "TIFF Failed a scanline write on row 0" and "Bits/sample must be 1 for Group 3/4 encoding/decoding".

Is there some other step I'm missing here, in order to force the image to be one bit/sample?

I tried to save as a PNM and was disappointed to find that it wrote the file in PGM format rather than PBM. With a suitable chain of netpbm tools I can convert that to PBM then to TIFF Class F Group 4, but it would be much easier if I could save in that format directly from Gimp, especially since I want to do it in Script-Fu.

I'm using Gimp 1.2.3 as supplied in the Red Hat 8.0 distribution.

Thanks! Eric

John Culleton
2003-03-23 19:55:15 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Sunday 23 March 2003 01:17 am, Eric Smith wrote:

I need to edit some B&W TIFF files, which are stored using TIFF Class F Group 4 fax compression (2D coding, ITU-T T.6 standard). GIMP can open these just fine, though they wind up being grayscale images.

Just a thought. Why not save them as PostScript or whatever and then use an external conversion program to create a fax-friendly TIFF file? ImageMagick comes to mind.

I have better luck with all files in Gimp using grayscale instead of BW.

John Culleton