RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer Gregory Propf 23 Feb 20:43
  Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer Fred Bazolo 23 Feb 21:48
Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer Gregory Propf 23 Feb 22:15
Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer Erickson Delgado 24 Feb 01:46
Gregory Propf
2003-02-23 20:43:48 UTC (about 21 years ago)

According to the manual on the website the "Paste as New" option on the Edit menu copies all layers into the new image. This does not appear to be the case. For me the gimp only copies the topmost layer into the new image. Also, the "multiselect" option mentioned in that same section of the manual does not appear to exist at all. I am using Gimp 1.2.3 installed from the RPM that comes with RedHat 7.3. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Fred Bazolo
2003-02-23 21:48:00 UTC (about 21 years ago)

On Sunday 23 February 2003 11:43, Gregory Propf wrote:

According to the manual on the website the "Paste as New" option on the Edit menu copies all layers into the new image. This does not appear to be the case. For me the gimp only copies the topmost layer into the new image. Also, the "multiselect" option mentioned in that same section of the manual does not appear to exist at all. I am using Gimp 1.2.3 installed from the RPM that comes with RedHat 7.3. Does anyone know what's wrong?

In my experience, when using "paste as new" you get the selected layer only. If you want more then the selected layer, or all the layers, merge the layers you're interested in, or merge all layers, or flatten image. Then copy and paste as new. Then undo whatever it is you did to the first image to arrive back to it's original condition, if you care to.

Fred

Gregory Propf
2003-02-23 22:15:32 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Fred Bazolo wrote:

On Sunday 23 February 2003 11:43, Gregory Propf wrote:

In my experience, when using "paste as new" you get the selected layer only. If you want more then the selected layer, or all the layers, merge the layers you're interested in, or merge all layers, or flatten image. Then copy and paste as new. Then undo whatever it is you did to the first image to arrive back to it's original condition, if you care to.

Fred

I need to preserve the layering. The layers are frames of a movie. I want to create a "Brady Bunch" effect with 9 copies of the animation in a larger image. I could copy each layer and place 9 copies of it individually but that would take too long. The manual is quite clear that ALL layers are copied individually but the program doesn't behave this way. And what of the "multiselect" option. Is the manual for the development version or something? It really seems that they are talking about features that just don't exist. Also, the wording of the options seems a little different from what the program has. Something is going on here.

Erickson Delgado
2003-02-24 01:46:49 UTC (about 21 years ago)

----- Original Message -----
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:43:48 -0500 To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Paste as New doesn't only copies top layer

I use GIMP 1.2.3 over FreeBSD 5.0-STABLE. "Paste as New" DOES copies all "visible" layers and pastes it in a new image file. I use the ported (.bz2) installer from the FreeBSD repository.

There is another quicker option if you want to select visible layers, if I got it right that it's what you want, though. You can use the option "Copy Visible" at the bottom of the right-click menu and paste it on a new image file.

** I do see bugs in the "Paste as New" option, though.

---------------------------------------------------- Jedd / Erickson D. Delgado, CIP, MCP Phone No.: (632) 916 930-1058
ICQ No.: 49683189
"FreeBSD Newbie - OpenSource Advocate"