RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

transparent GIF colour

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

transparent GIF colour kerrb@senet.com.au 08 Jan 12:30
transparent GIF colour Olivier Ripoll 08 Jan 13:49
kerrb@senet.com.au
2003-01-08 12:30:15 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent GIF colour

I want to make one colour of an indexed image transparent. Can you do this in GIMP?

longer explanation:
I've taken a photo of a face with a digital camera and have indexed that image, as a GIF (to save space for a final animation). I want to make the resulting indexed background colour transparent, then distort the image in various ways, eg. using Bend, and then insert the various images into layers to make a GIF animation, with a transparent background. I can do all of this except for the transparent background part.

I've seen other programs that automatically make the bottom left hand pixel of a GIF transparent but can't see how to do this simply with GIMP. Feel there should be a simpler way than having to select the face and paste it into a transparent background -- it would be very difficult to select the face accurately.
- Bill Kerr

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through SE Net Webmail http://webmail.senet.com.au

Olivier Ripoll
2003-01-08 13:49:23 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent GIF colour

kerrb@senet.com.au wrote:

I want to make one colour of an indexed image transparent. Can you do this in GIMP?

select->by color, then cut (ctrl-x) or clear (ctrl-k)

longer explanation:
I've taken a photo of a face with a digital camera and have indexed that image, as a GIF (to save space for a final animation). I want to make the resulting indexed background colour transparent, then distort the image in various ways, eg. using Bend, and then insert the various images into layers to make a GIF animation, with a transparent background. I can do all of this except for the transparent background part.

I've seen other programs that automatically make the bottom left hand pixel of a GIF transparent but can't see how to do this simply with GIMP. Feel there should be a simpler way than having to select the face and paste it into a transparent background -- it would be very difficult to select the face accurately.

if your background is easy to select, selecting the face is as easy as selecting the background and inverted the selection, isn't it?

- Bill Kerr

regards,

Olivier.