RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

More FAQ answers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20021221200008.206381005A@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  More FAQ answers Michael J. Hammel 21 Dec 22:37
20021222200012.DE101100B3@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  More FAQ answers Michael J. Hammel 22 Dec 23:10
   More FAQ answers Steve Crane 22 Dec 23:21
Michael J. Hammel
2002-12-21 22:37:04 UTC (over 21 years ago)

More FAQ answers

Thus spoke zeus

Here's some question from me.

1. How to costumize Gimp Interface in Linux?

GIMP uses GTK+, so it can use it's own gtkrc file to customize the interface. I think there are some prebuilt themes around, but I never use them.

2. Is Gimp providing "gamut warning" like in Photoshop?

No.

3. How much layer, alpha channel gimp can handle?

I'm not sure there is a coded limit to the number of layers. A cursory look at the layer code doesn't show one that I can find, but maybe I'm missing it. A practical limit will be based on canvas size and available memory. The larger the pixel dimensions, the more memory you'll need per layer. At least if you want to work moderately quickly and not wait for data to be swapped between memory and disk constantly.

There is one alpha channel per layer.

4. Who create Gimp mascot?

Tigert - http://tigert.gimp.org/

Michael J. Hammel
2002-12-22 23:10:02 UTC (over 21 years ago)

More FAQ answers

Thus spoke Steve Crane

Here are a few ideas for questions for the new FAQ.

1. Can I use brushes from other software such as Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro with the GIMP?

Not that I'm aware of. I know you can't drop those brush files into GIMP's brush directories and have them "just work." If a file plug-in exists that can read those brush files then you will be able to read them in and then save them into GIMP's native brush file format. But I don't know of any brush file plug-ins for other application's brushes.

2. How can I ensure that certain of the GIMP's windows, for instance the Levels or Crop and Resize Information windows, always open in the same position on screen?

In short, you probably can't. You *might* be able to do so if 1. the developers gave each window a special name of its own and 2. your window manager allows you to save position information about those specially named windows.

If #1 is true (and I don't know that it is), then in Sawfish (which is commonly used as the GNOME window manager) you can click on the title bar of a window (I think it's a right button click) to get a menu. At the bottom of that menu you have the option of choosing History information to be saved, such as position and geometry of a window. Select "Save position". That *might* work. But no promises. Other window managers may offer similar features, but many do not. Caveat gimper.

Steve Crane
2002-12-22 23:21:46 UTC (over 21 years ago)

More FAQ answers

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 04:10:02PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

1. Can I use brushes from other software such as Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro with the GIMP?

Not that I'm aware of. I know you can't drop those brush files into GIMP's brush directories and have them "just work." If a file plug-in exists that can read those brush files then you will be able to read them in and then save them into GIMP's native brush file format. But I don't know of any brush file plug-ins for other application's brushes.

Actually I know the answer to this one, but thought that it would be a good question to include in the FAQ. I was planning to offer the answer when the call for answers came up.

There is a utility called abr2gbr that can convert the brush files used by Photoshop and Paintshop Pro to the GIMP brush file format. There are two different formats (versions 1 & 2) of Photoshop brush files (Paintshop Pro brushes match the earlier format) and the utility can only convert the earlier type. I think that the version 2 format was introduced with a later version of Photoshop, possibly 5 or 6 but the author of abr2gbr says that the format is not known so he has not been able to cater for it.

For more info and to download the converter see http://the.sunnyspot.org/gimp/tools.html.