RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Printing with the Gimp 1.2.3

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Printing with the Gimp 1.2.3 Vittorio 29 Oct 14:18
  Printing with the Gimp 1.2.3 Vittorio 31 Oct 14:08
   Printing with the Gimp 1.2.3 Rory Grant 31 Oct 23:34
Vittorio
2002-10-29 14:18:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

It all works but I don't understand......

Under debian woody I have the gimp 1.2 and gimp-print. I've set my Epson 640 printer as my default printer by means of magicfilter according to the following scheme:

1) lp is 360 dpi 2) lp720 is 720x720 dpi
3) lp1440 is 1440x720 dpi

Now, using the print command under the gimp I have (tentatively) selected in 'setup printer' the epson 640 as my printer, and lp as my printer name.

It works! But I find it all a bit confusing....

I mean I've chosen lp (which is 360 dpi to me) and I've selected other resolutions than the 1). Then why should I tell the Gimp what my printer is? Isn't already selected by magicfilter? Shouldn't be enough to select printer name only (either lp, or lp720 or lp1440)?

Is there anyone out there able to explain the basic of printing with the gimp?

Ciao
Vittorio

Vittorio
2002-10-31 14:08:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Vittorio [debian-user] :

It all works but I don't understand......

Under debian woody I have the gimp 1.2 and gimp-print. I've set my Epson 640 printer as my default printer by means of magicfilter according to the following scheme:

1) lp is 360 dpi 2) lp720 is 720x720 dpi
3) lp1440 is 1440x720 dpi

Now, using the print command under the gimp I have (tentatively) selected in 'setup printer' the epson 640 as my printer, and lp as my printer name.

It works! But I find it all a bit confusing....

I mean I've chosen lp (which is 360 dpi to me) and I've selected other resolutions than the 1). Then why should I tell the Gimp what my printer is? Isn't already selected by magicfilter? Shouldn't be enough to select printer name only (either lp, or lp720 or lp1440)?

Is there anyone out there able to explain the basic of printing with the gimp?

Ciao
Vittorio

Rory Grant
2002-10-31 23:34:57 UTC (over 21 years ago)

This is the way I understand it.

When you hit the 'setup printer' button in the print dialogue, you will notice 2 fields. One is selection box where Epson Stylus 640 will be highlighted, and the other is a printer command line. This says something like 'lp -s -d lp -o raw', or 'lpr -s -P lp -o raw'. The first argument indicates that you want silent output from the print system (ie. no reporting on the job to STDOUT). The second argument indicates which print queue to send the job to. The third argument is the vital one here: it tells your printing system that the output being sent is in raw printer language and not to filter it through Ghostscript or magicfilter or whatever. Basically, Gimp-Print converts the raster image from Gimp into the raw printer format for the model selected in the first field above. Resolution, colour and other options are set by Gimp-Print, then sent straight to the printer device, bypassing your system settings.

I hope you can understand that through my verbosity!

RoryG.

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 02:08, Vittorio wrote: Vittorio [debian-user] :
> It all works but I don't understand...... >
> Under debian woody I have the gimp 1.2 and gimp-print. I've set my > Epson 640 printer as my default printer by means of magicfilter > according to the following scheme: >
> 1) lp is 360 dpi
> 2) lp720 is 720x720 dpi
> 3) lp1440 is 1440x720 dpi
>
> Now, using the print command under the gimp I have (tentatively) > selected in 'setup printer' the epson 640 as my printer, and lp as my > printer name.
>
> It works! But I find it all a bit confusing.... >
> I mean I've chosen lp (which is 360 dpi to me) and I've selected other > resolutions than the 1). Then why should I tell the Gimp what my > printer is? Isn't already selected by magicfilter? Shouldn't be enough > to select printer name only (either lp, or lp720 or lp1440)? >
> Is there anyone out there able to explain the basic of printing with > the gimp?
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio
>
>
>