RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Film emulation.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Film emulation. Adam Harrison 24 Oct 22:07
  Film emulation. Jon Winters 24 Oct 23:15
Adam Harrison
2002-10-24 22:07:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Film emulation.

I was wondering is anyone has created preset's to emulate the color curves/seturation levels of specific films. I would like to take pictures from my digital camera, which seems to have pretty normal color values, and have a filter that would make the image have the color values if it was shot with Fuji Velvia 50 or the now discontinued Kodak Royal Gold 25. Or even some of the warm or cold tone black and white films.

Thanks, -Adam

Jon Winters
2002-10-24 23:15:08 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Film emulation.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Adam Harrison wrote:

I was wondering is anyone has created preset's to emulate the color curves/seturation levels of specific films. I would like to take pictures from my digital camera, which seems to have pretty normal color values, and have a filter that would make the image have the color values if it was shot with Fuji Velvia 50 or the now discontinued Kodak Royal Gold 25. Or even some of the warm or cold tone black and white films.

Such filters would not work because each digital camera has its own way of seeing color. Have a look at any of the web sites where you can see side by side image comparasons and you'll see. The color is all over the place.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ http://www.dpreview.com/

Even different cameras from the same manufacturer handle color in different ways.

Now having said that... You can save curves to run against images from _your_ camera to make it shift colors in different ways simmilar to the films that you like.

Find something that you photographed with film and go photograph the same object using your digital camera. In the Gimp adjust the curves until the color matches the film example of the image. Save your curves and you've done it! In theory you should be able to run the same profile against most other images from your digital camera with simmilar results.

Hope this helps.