RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

transparent

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

transparent R. R. 13 Oct 17:58
  transparent Jeff Trefftzs 13 Oct 18:37
transparent Hans - Walter Gardt 13 Oct 19:25
  transparent R. R. 13 Oct 19:48
transparent Denis McCauley 14 Oct 01:31
  transparent R. R. 14 Oct 01:59
transparent R. R. 16 Oct 01:53
transparent Hans - Walter Gardt 16 Oct 17:12
  transparent Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 16 Oct 17:35
R. R.
2002-10-13 17:58:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

i am having problems making a bg of an image transparent

what i did was image/alpha/add alpaha channel

and when i hit ctrl+x it makes entire image transparent... any way to just select the bg to do this

Jeff Trefftzs
2002-10-13 18:37:38 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

Making the background of an image transparent:

You're off to a good start by adding an alpha channel, although you can do that easily by simply duplicating the "Background" layer. But it sounds like you want to make only a portion of the image transparent. You really need to either select the parts of the image that you want to make transparent, or mask them out. In general, this can be a tricky operation, heavily dependent on your image's unique characteristics.

Rather than try to list all the techniques you might find useful, I'll point you to Cary Bunks' great work, Grokking the Gimp. You can get to it from Toolbox->Xtns->Web_Browser->Grokking the Gimp. Look closely at chapters 3 and 4.

HTH,

Hans - Walter Gardt
2002-10-13 19:25:17 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

Did you select the bg you want to remove? If there is no selection the whole image will be removed.

R. R.
2002-10-13 19:48:10 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 13:25, Hans - Walter Gardt wrote:

Did you select the bg you want to remove? If there is no selection the whole image will be removed.

and how do i do that i tried clikcing on the bg and not luck

Denis McCauley
2002-10-14 01:31:04 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 13:25, Hans - Walter Gardt wrote: >>>> Did you select the bg you want to remove? If there is no selection the whole
>>>> image will be removed.
====and how do i do that i tried clikcing on the bg and not luck @@@@@@@@@@
If your background is a plain color: use the Fuzzy Selection tool (fourth button top row of the
toolbox), click on the background to select, then right-click the image, Edit > Cut.

If your background is photographic then it's not so easy, and you should check out Grokking the
Gimp as Jeff has suggested before going any further

Cheers Denis McCauley

R. R.
2002-10-14 01:59:01 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 19:31, Denis McCauley wrote:

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 13:25, Hans - Walter Gardt wrote: >>>> Did you select the bg you want to remove? If there is no selection the whole
>>>> image will be removed.
====and how do i do that i tried clikcing on the bg and not luck @@@@@@@@@@
If your background is a plain color: use the Fuzzy Selection tool (fourth button top row of the
toolbox), click on the background to select, then right-click the image, Edit > Cut.

If your background is photographic then it's not so easy, and you should check out Grokking the
Gimp as Jeff has suggested before going any further

thanks great tip but it just made it whitish i had to do it the long way by pasting clean block by block .... until i learn a better way

R. R.
2002-10-16 01:53:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

i was able to make it transparent with layers but when i click save it saves the original image without saving the transparency

any hints

Hans - Walter Gardt
2002-10-16 17:12:59 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

Hi,

If you want to save an image with transparenz, save it as .gif or .png. Other formats don't allow transparent images.

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-10-16 17:35:46 UTC (over 21 years ago)

transparent

Hans-Walter.Gardt@t-online.de (2002-10-16 at 1712.59 +0200):

If you want to save an image with transparenz, save it as .gif or .png. Other formats don't allow transparent images.

Some other formats support transparency, but for web, gif and png are the best (anybody seen mng in webpages other than demos?). As "work in progress" format, use .xcf (gimp native format, supports layers, guides and other interesting info) or its compressed versions .xcf.gz and .xcf.bz2 (gimp handles all if you write a name like foo.xcf.bz2 in the save dialog, and loads them back without extra job too, just write the name or click the list).

Check for more info about formats: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~mxr/gfx/ (fails for me currently) http://www.audre.org/GraphicFAQ/ (mirror of first link) http://www.faqs.org/faqs/graphics/fileformats-faq/

GSR