RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CMYK conversion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CMYK conversion John Culleton 08 Oct 19:58
  CMYK conversion Roland Roberts 08 Oct 22:39
   CMYK conversion John Culleton 09 Oct 16:33
John Culleton
2002-10-08 19:58:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

CMYK conversion

Are there any plans to include CMYK conversion into Gimp? I know that there is decomposition but that is not quite the same thing. I want to be able to provide a single file (e.g. TIFF or PDF) with the colors expressed as CMYK and not RGB, for submission to a printer.

Are there other open source tools that can do the conversion for me?

Would it make sense to use the cmyk decomposition, color the resulting separations and then reombine them?

All replies appreciated.

John Culleton

Roland Roberts
2002-10-08 22:39:11 UTC (over 21 years ago)

CMYK conversion

tifftopnm RGB.tiff | pnmtotiffcmyk > CMYK.tiff

roland

John Culleton
2002-10-09 16:33:43 UTC (over 21 years ago)

CMYK conversion

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 04:39 pm, Roland Roberts wrote:

tifftopnm RGB.tiff | pnmtotiffcmyk > CMYK.tiff

roland

By golly it works! Reddish colors are faded a bit. I suppose the cure is to adjust in gimp to make the image overly red and then save and do the conversion via pnmtotiffcmyk.

I did the test by scanning the image in xsane, all default values, and then converting that image. I compared the original scanned pnm image to the converted image, both being viewed in kview.

Interestingly enough the converted image when loaded into Gimp had the same color balance (to my eye at least) as the converted image viewed in Kview.

The two programs mentioned above by Roland are part of the netpbm package
available on sourceforge.net. netpbm replaces some older utilities found in the pbmplus package.

Now I have a new toy to play with! But there is a very practical application when creating book covers etc. where the printer wants the image in a cmyk tiff. I have to play with color balancing, flesh tones etc.

thanks for your help.

John Culleton