RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

3 or 4 bit grayscale images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

3 or 4 bit grayscale images Kevin Myers 06 Oct 23:31
3 or 4 bit grayscale images Kevin Myers 07 Oct 00:55
Kevin Myers
2002-10-06 23:31:20 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hello,

Does anyone out there know of any way that gimp can be used fairly easily to create 3 or 4 bit grayscale TIFF images (rather than 8 bit)?

Most applications, including gimp, seem to be geared towards 8 bit grayscale images. But, I'm involved with a hardcopy document archival project where 3 or 4 bit grayscale TIFF images would be preferable for the following reasons:

1. 8 bit grayscale files require far too much space.

2. 8 bit grayscale files can't be compressed effectively unless you use a lossy algorithm such as JPEG. Some loss in image quality IS acceptable for my project, but JPEG compression can introduce additional artifacts into the image, and that is NOT acceptable.

3. 1 bit black and white images are not acceptable for my project because they don't show any intermediate shade variations that may be important for any number of reasons, including resolving faint handwriting on a form that includes other very dark features.

4. 3 bit (8 shade) and 4 bit (16 shade) grayscale images are the primary contenders for my project because they DO provide acceptable identification of varying shades in the original, and ...

5. The drastic reduction in the number of shades produced by using 3 or 4 bit grayscale instead of 8 bit grayscale makes the images MUCH more susceptible to LZW and other compression algorithms. A 3 or 4 bit grayscale image using LZW compression is typically 10 to 20 times smaller than the corresponding 8 bit image.

So far, I've succeeded in getting gimp to produce indexed tiff images based on 8 and 16 gray shade pallettes that I've created, and that by itself helps quite a bit. However, it still introduces sizeable additional overhead into the tiff file to store the pallete look-up table, that shouldn't be necessary. It ought to be possible to merely store the images directly as 3 or 4 bit grayscale instead.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions? Possibly some other scriptable tool that can manipulate tiff files, other than gimp?

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

Kevin M. Round Rock, Texas

Kevin Myers
2002-10-07 00:55:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

P.S. - I need to use TIFF files rather than some other format due to the final applications that will be using the images, and also because of the extremely large size (up to a foot wide by 100+/- feet long) of the documents that are being imaged.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Myers"
To: "gimp users"
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 4:31 PM Subject: [Gimp-user] 3 or 4 bit grayscale images

Hello,

Does anyone out there know of any way that gimp can be used fairly easily

to

create 3 or 4 bit grayscale TIFF images (rather than 8 bit)?

Most applications, including gimp, seem to be geared towards 8 bit

grayscale

images. But, I'm involved with a hardcopy document archival project where

or 4 bit grayscale TIFF images would be preferable for the following reasons:

1. 8 bit grayscale files require far too much space.

2. 8 bit grayscale files can't be compressed effectively unless you use a lossy algorithm such as JPEG. Some loss in image quality IS acceptable

for

my project, but JPEG compression can introduce additional artifacts into

the

image, and that is NOT acceptable.

3. 1 bit black and white images are not acceptable for my project because they don't show any intermediate shade variations that may be important

for

any number of reasons, including resolving faint handwriting on a form

that

includes other very dark features.

4. 3 bit (8 shade) and 4 bit (16 shade) grayscale images are the primary contenders for my project because they DO provide acceptable

identification

of varying shades in the original, and ...

5. The drastic reduction in the number of shades produced by using 3 or 4 bit grayscale instead of 8 bit grayscale makes the images MUCH more susceptible to LZW and other compression algorithms. A 3 or 4 bit

grayscale

image using LZW compression is typically 10 to 20 times smaller than the corresponding 8 bit image.

So far, I've succeeded in getting gimp to produce indexed tiff images

based

on 8 and 16 gray shade pallettes that I've created, and that by itself

helps

quite a bit. However, it still introduces sizeable additional overhead

into

the tiff file to store the pallete look-up table, that shouldn't be necessary. It ought to be possible to merely store the images directly as

or 4 bit grayscale instead.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions? Possibly some other scriptable tool that can manipulate tiff files, other than gimp?

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

Kevin M. Round Rock, Texas