RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Opening .cdr and .cpt

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Opening .cdr and .cpt Warren Post 24 Sep 21:54
Opening .cdr and .cpt Warren Post 25 Sep 18:23
Opening .cdr and .cpt Jakub Steiner 25 Sep 20:39
Opening .cdr and .cpt Warren Post 25 Sep 22:13
  Opening .cdr and .cpt promovis 05 Mar 16:52
   Opening .cdr and .cpt Steve Kinney 05 Mar 23:00
Pine.LNX.4.33.0209241511330... 07 Oct 20:15
Pine.LNX.4.33.0209251150500... 07 Oct 20:15
Warren Post
2002-09-24 21:54:35 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Opening .cdr and .cpt

I'm in the midst of moving from Windows to Linux and from Corel to Gimp. Gimp is great, but there is one issue I need help with. I have numerous files in CorelDRAW (.cdr) and Corel PhotoPaint (.cpt) formats that I need to work with. Since I find no Gimp support for Corel formats I've tried first converting the .cdr and .cpt files to Photoshop (.psd) format in Corel, and then opening the .psd files in Gimp. This works, but the result is a flat image with no objects. It's as if I had converted the original image to .jpg instead of .psd.

Is there a way to get Corel files into Gimp and still have objects that can be manipulated? If not, can anyone suggest another open source application or tool for Linux? This issue is the only reason I still have Windows on my computer and I'm anxious to become Linux only.

Warren Post
2002-09-25 18:23:02 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Opening .cdr and .cpt

Jon Winters wrote:

If possible save the corel files in a non-proprietary format like an uncompressed TIFF. ImageMagick has conversion tools for just about any image format out there... http://www.imagemagick.org/

Being able to do everything that you need to do is an important step in converting to Linux.

Thanks, but I get the same result as with .psd format: the image is flattened. All objects are merged with the background. I can open it in Gimp but there are no objects to edit.

Any other ideas? I'd prefer to avoid having to remake almost from scratch some 150 files that are now in Corel formats.

Jakub Steiner
2002-09-25 20:39:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Opening .cdr and .cpt

On St, 2002-09-25 at 18:23, Warren Post wrote:

Jon Winters wrote:

If possible save the corel files in a non-proprietary format like an uncompressed TIFF. ImageMagick has conversion tools for just about any image format out there... http://www.imagemagick.org/

Being able to do everything that you need to do is an important step in converting to Linux.

Thanks, but I get the same result as with .psd format: the image is flattened. All objects are merged with the background. I can open it in Gimp but there are no objects to edit.

Any other ideas? I'd prefer to avoid having to remake almost from scratch some 150 files that are now in Corel formats.

The problem must lie in the Corel Photopaint PSD exporter, since GIMP's PSD import plugin works with multilayered images fine. Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve your lock-in problem without considerable effort :/

On a related note - you can get rid of that Windows partition by using the linux port of Photopaint ;)

http://linux.corel.com/products/pp9/download.htm

Warren Post
2002-09-25 22:13:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Opening .cdr and .cpt

Jon Winters wrote:

Be prepared to lose your text layers... I don't think there is anything in the Linux world that can edit a text layer from another application.

That's the show stopper for me then. It's the text layers I need. The non text layers don't need to be modified. In that case I'll just redo the images in Gimp as .xcf and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Photoshop .psd files are proprietary as .cdr and .cpt so you'll eventually have trouble with them. Its always advisable to save important files in non-proprietary file formats.

Agreed. My entire move to Linux is so I can escape proprietary file formats and closed source apps while I still can. A couple more years and Microsoft, Corel, et al would have had me completely Borged.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

2012-03-05 16:52:17 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Opening .cdr and .cpt

Jon Winters wrote:

Be prepared to lose your text layers... I don't think there is anything in the Linux world that can edit a text layer from another application.

That's the show stopper for me then. It's the text layers I need. The non text layers don't need to be modified. In that case I'll just redo the images in Gimp as .xcf and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Photoshop .psd files are proprietary as .cdr and .cpt so you'll eventually have trouble with them. Its always advisable to save important files in non-proprietary file formats.

Agreed. My entire move to Linux is so I can escape proprietary file formats and closed source apps while I still can. A couple more years and Microsoft, Corel, et al would have had me completely Borged.

Download Uniconvertor, convert your cdr to svg, edit svg with Gimp. Good luck!

Steve Kinney
2012-03-05 23:00:47 UTC (about 12 years ago)

Opening .cdr and .cpt

On 03/05/2012 11:52 AM, promovis wrote:

Download Uniconvertor, convert your cdr to svg, edit svg with Gimp. Good luck!

You might also want to give Inkscape a try - it's a native SVG editor. The best you can do with the GIMP is convert the SVG file from vector format to a bitmap format, and presumably there was a reason of some sort for creating a vector based file in the first place.

:o)

Steve