RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Masks, layers...etc...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Masks, layers...etc... The Luu Family :0) 13 Sep 11:43
  Masks, layers...etc... Carol Spears 14 Sep 08:01
Masks, layers...etc... Walker, Sam 13 Sep 14:28
The Luu Family :0)
2002-09-13 11:43:07 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Masks, layers...etc...

I have been trying to make a sci-fi ship texture... and i have come to a problem. I find that layers do not have an opacity setting and masks do, but masks can only be black and white...

how would i make it color?

Thanks

Walker, Sam
2002-09-13 14:28:53 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Masks, layers...etc...

Each layer should have an opacity setting, it is set using the sliding bar located in the "Layer, Channels & Paths" dialog.
Regards,
Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: The Luu Family :0) [mailto:3dimensions@optushome.com.au] Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 4:43 AM To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Masks, layers...etc...

I have been trying to make a sci-fi ship texture... and i have come to a problem.

I find that layers do not have an opacity setting and masks do, but masks can only be black and white...

Thanks

Carol Spears
2002-09-14 08:01:39 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Masks, layers...etc...

hi

in gimp, the masks are the transparancy. i am probably not saying that properly, but the mask goes over the layer. whatever is white is transparent. i am guessing you have a background with another graphics program.

my advice is this: totally clear your mind of everything you know about graphics manipulation and follow this tutorial: http://www.gimp.org/tut-basic.html
even if a floating logo is not what you want, the method to get it will show you alot about gimp and his masks.

also, Dialogs -->Layers, Channels & Paths ... you should always have this open, well a good 85% of the time.

as soon as you get the hang of it, you will see that the layers are one of the most powerful and dynamic parts of gimp.

happy gimping carol

On 2002-09-13 at 1943.07 +1000, The Luu Family :0) typed this:

I have been trying to make a sci-fi ship texture... and i have come to a problem. I find that layers do not have an opacity setting and masks do, but masks can only be black and white...

Thanks