RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

entering non-ascii symbols in text tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

entering non-ascii symbols in text tool Heitzso 25 Aug 21:43
  entering non-ascii symbols in text tool Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 25 Aug 22:28
  entering non-ascii symbols in text tool Carol Spears 26 Aug 14:57
Heitzso
2002-08-25 21:43:17 UTC (over 21 years ago)

I need to enter the trademark symbol as text. I know how to pop up the font/text selection dialog but don't have a clue re entering characters that aren't on the keyboard.

Any clues would be appreciated ...

Thanks, Heitzso

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-08-25 22:28:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

heitzso@bellsouth.net (2002-08-25 at 1543.17 -0400):

I need to enter the trademark symbol as text. I know how to pop up the font/text selection dialog but don't have a clue re entering characters that aren't on the keyboard.

I think you are using Unix version, so you have to play with Mode_switch key (AltGr) and Multi_key (Compose or RShift+AltGr), so you can access the full X11 kbd mapping. Use xev tool to check where are the keys, and xkeycaps if you need to remap or to get a full view of your kbd.

Once you have that, press AltGr and other key (like Shift and other key to get uppercase) to get some things, the 3th (AltGr) and 4th (AltGr and Shift) item in xkeycaps KeySym field. Other things require pressing three keys, like typing a three letter word (press and release), Multi_key thing1 thing2. You can get the list of combinations if you search for Compose in your disk (like /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose). "thing1" and "thing2" can be things that require Shift.

All this sounds weird, and probably a char picker would be nice, but for those that use some chars frequently it is better than Alt plus some number in NumPad. I think it is easier to remember "Multi_key / o" (/ is Shift plus 7 here, btw) to get ø or Mode_switch plus s to get ß (think german double s) or plus C (Shift plus c) to get ©. Macintosh as something like this too (LeftAlt alone or with Shift plus a key).

GSR

Carol Spears
2002-08-26 14:57:59 UTC (over 21 years ago)

i have had good luck with copy-n-paste.

carol

On 2002-08-25 at 1543.17 -0400, Heitzso typed this:

Any clues would be appreciated ...

Thanks, Heitzso