RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help needed with image manipulation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help needed with image manipulation Tom Williams 25 Aug 05:49
  Help needed with image manipulation Judy Wilson 25 Aug 23:54
tomdkat@attbi.com 07 Oct 20:15
  Help needed with image manipulation Jeff Trefftzs 28 Aug 06:35
Tom Williams
2002-08-25 05:49:10 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi! Ok, I have a JPEG with a person in front of a background. I want to extract the *background* and use it as the background for a NEW image I'll be creating. Any tips on how to do this? I'm using GIMP 1.2.3 on Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Peace....

Tom

Judy Wilson
2002-08-25 23:54:29 UTC (over 21 years ago)

When I do this, I simply clone over the person, which can be difficult, depending on how big the person is and how complicated the image is. I once removed a group of people in front of a building by doing this.

My husband thinks I have a clone-happy hand! :-)

Good luck!

Judy

* Tom Williams [020824 22:10]:

Hi! Ok, I have a JPEG with a person in front of a background. I want to extract the *background* and use it as the background for a NEW image I'll be creating. Any tips on how to do this? I'm using GIMP 1.2.3 on Linux.

Jeff Trefftzs
2002-08-28 06:35:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi Tom -

Another trick is to select around the person using the free select (lasso) tool, and fill in the blanks with the resynthesize plugin. Be warned, this can take forever, and probably won't work on large images, because you'll wind up swapping on practically every pixel, but for small areas in modestly-sized images it works wonders.

Note - this plug-in needs to be tracked down and installed separately. It winds up in /Filters/Map/Resynthesize