RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIF support under Linux?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIF support under Linux? Karl Auer 13 Jul 19:13
GIF support under Linux? Tom Williams 13 Jul 19:21
Karl Auer
2002-07-13 19:13:31 UTC (over 21 years ago)

GIF support under Linux?

Hello there.

I seem to recall the question being asked already, but I don't recall any reply. The mailing list archives don't throw any light on the subject either.

Under Linux, running the GIMP version 1.2.3, there is no support for the GIF file format. A search of the plugins repository shows up a Windows extension, but that's it. Can the Windows one be used for Linux, and if so, how? If not, how do I get GIF support into the GIMP for Linux? I'd specifically like to produce images with a transparent background and animations.

One suggestion from the list was to produce some other format and convert it with ImageMagick - this works for transparency (create a PNG and convert to a GIF). Has anyone had experience with this path to animated GIFs?

It would be nicer to be able to produce the final result directly from the GIMP of course...

Yours hopefully, K.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)

Tom Williams
2002-07-13 19:21:08 UTC (over 21 years ago)

GIF support under Linux?

Karl Auer wrote:

Hello there.

I seem to recall the question being asked already, but I don't recall any reply. The mailing list archives don't throw any light on the subject either.

Under Linux, running the GIMP version 1.2.3, there is no support for the GIF file format. A search of the plugins repository shows up a Windows extension, but that's it. Can the Windows one be used for Linux, and if so, how? If not, how do I get GIF support into the GIMP for Linux? I'd specifically like to produce images with a transparent background and animations.

One suggestion from the list was to produce some other format and convert it with ImageMagick - this works for transparency (create a PNG and convert to a GIF). Has anyone had experience with this path to animated GIFs?

It would be nicer to be able to produce the final result directly from the GIMP of course...

Yours hopefully, K.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)