RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The script Cross-processing.scm

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The script Cross-processing.scm Johnny Rosenberg 08 Jan 18:38
  The script Cross-processing.scm Kevin Cozens 08 Jan 20:00
  The script Cross-processing.scm Tobias Jakobs 09 Jan 09:05
   The script Cross-processing.scm Kevin Cozens 09 Jan 20:05
8ad06bca0801081308u2536f12f... 07 Oct 20:19
  The script Cross-processing.scm Kevin Cozens 09 Jan 00:15
8ad06bca0801091017l7636e4e8... 07 Oct 20:19
  The script Cross-processing.scm Kevin Cozens 15 Jan 07:15
Johnny Rosenberg
2008-01-08 18:38:42 UTC (over 16 years ago)

After installing the Cross-processing script, which I found somewhere, one of the GIMP standard filters stopped working. After removing Cross-processing, the GIMP-filter worked again.

The GIMP filter that stopped working was "Filter - Decor - Add border...". There was a error message talking about some corrupted undo blaha etc. Bug? Shouldn't be possible, should it?

J.R.

Kevin Cozens
2008-01-08 20:00:05 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

After installing the Cross-processing script, which I found somewhere, one of the GIMP standard filters stopped working. After removing Cross-processing, the GIMP-filter worked again.

If you are adding a third party script and it is conflicting with scripts shipped with GIMP, you need to fix the third party script. If you can't do that, ask the author of the script to fix it, or ask on the mailing list for help. You will need to post the script somewhere if you want someone on the mailing list to help you fix the script.

Kevin Cozens
2008-01-09 00:15:09 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> I see. All we did to make it work, was to remove the script from the > GIMP user script folder, in this case ~/.gimp2.4/scripts. It was the > only script and even only file in that folder. Isn't it strange that a > single file can do just any kind of damage by just lying there? I mean, > if I run a non user script, which obviously isn't dependent on the > Cross-processing script, why would it matter what kind of files I have > in my user defined script folder? Should really GIMP look there at all? [snip]
> 2. I just want to learn how these things work, in this case because I > can't see that it makes any sense.

Of course GIMP needs to look in the ~/.gimp-2.4/scripts directory. GIMP ships with a number of scripts. There needs to be a separate directory were users can put their own scripts or ones written by others.

All scripts are read in to a single namespace. If two scripts have conflicting definitions for items defined outside of a function (ie. global to the file), there will be problems running the functions from one of those files.

I found a cross-processing.scm script listed in the GIMP plug-in registry. It was written for GIMP 2.0 and needs some minor updates before it can be used properly with a 2.4 version of GIMP.

Now you have a slightly better idea of how things work in regards to Script-Fu scripts.

Tobias Jakobs
2008-01-09 09:05:27 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Jan 8, 2008 6:38 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

The GIMP filter that stopped working was "Filter - Decor - Add border...". There was a error message talking about some corrupted undo blaha etc. Bug?

It looks like this is Bug #490326.

Regards, Tobias

Kevin Cozens
2008-01-09 20:05:11 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Tobias Jakobs wrote:

It looks like this is Bug #490326.

Not really. The cause of the problem in the bug report is unknown. This message thread is about the adding of a script which apparently causes a problem.

Kevin Cozens
2008-01-15 07:15:23 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

I understand that GIMP has to look in that directory to be able to list all available scripts in the menu, but I don't understand how that alone can cause conflicts. Just looking for scripts to place their names in the menu and, of course, link the names in the menu to the corresponding script.

Script-Fu reads all scripts in to one block of memory. It can only remember one copy of something (based on its name). If two script files each define something called 'my-function', the last script file containing a define for 'my-function' will be the one Script-Fu remembers. Any code that calls 'my-function' will be executing the version from the last script to define it.

All scripts are read in to a single namespace. If two scripts have conflicting
definitions for items defined outside of a function (ie. global to the file), there will be problems running the functions from one of those files.

But does GIMP really HAVE to do all this?

It doesn't *have* to do this but it was made to work that way a long time ago and that hasn't been changed (yet). I have started work on a side project which will change this behaviour.