RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

blurry images after scaling down

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

blurry images after scaling down ChadDavis 28 Nov 00:34
  blurry images after scaling down David Gowers 28 Nov 06:35
   blurry images after scaling down DavidStoun44 28 Oct 11:46
    blurry images after scaling down DavidStoun44 04 Nov 12:00
  blurry images after scaling down UsmanNawaz 23 Mar 12:01
  blurry images after scaling down kbean63 07 Apr 04:34
   blurry images after scaling down kbean63 07 Apr 04:38
ChadDavis
2007-11-28 00:34:40 UTC (over 16 years ago)

I'm down scaling some tif images. These images are created with a graphics software for making diagrams and the like. Geometric shapes and text mostly. When I open the tif in Gimp they are perfectly crisp. When I scale the image down in size, it becomes slightly blurry, even when opting for the "best" cubic algorithm.

Is this to be expected? What's the best practice for preparing graphics so that they are crisp? I thought i should make them large and that way they would have extra resolution. But apparently scaling down is a lossy practice?

Thanks,
Chad

David Gowers
2007-11-28 06:35:25 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Hi Chad,

On Nov 28, 2007 10:04 AM, ChadDavis wrote:

I'm down scaling some tif images. These images are created with a graphics software for making diagrams and the like. Geometric shapes and text mostly. When I open the tif in Gimp they are perfectly crisp. When I scale the image down in size, it becomes slightly blurry, even when opting for the "best" cubic algorithm.

Is this to be expected?

Yes, Gimp deals with pixels, not vectors. when you scale down, you reduce the number of pixels that are used to represent the image.

If your graphics are vector based and you want to keep them that way, use a vector drawing program like Inkscape to manipulate them, not a raster manipulation program like GIMP.

What's the best practice for preparing graphics so that they are crisp? I thought i should make them large and that way they would have extra resolution. But apparently scaling down is a lossy practice?

Extra precision just means a more accurate averaging. Say you are scaling the image down to 50% of original size.. that means that each resultant pixel is calculated from the average of a 2x2 square of pixels. say that 2 of these input pixels are black, and two are white, since it is an average, each of the following produce the same result:

BW BW

WB
BW

WB
WB

WW
BB

So, it is indeed lossy.

If you want a raster image to be maximally crisp, your best bet is to draw it at the final size. If you want a vector image to be crisp, your work is probably unrelated to the GIMP.

2019-03-23 12:01:41 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

I'm down scaling some tif images. These images are created with a graphics
software for making diagrams and the like. Geometric shapes and text mostly. When I open the tif in Gimp they are perfectly crisp. When I scale
the image down in size, it becomes slightly blurry, even when opting for the
"best" cubic algorithm.

Is this to be expected? What's the best practice for preparing graphics so
that they are crisp? I thought i should make them large and that way they
would have extra resolution. But apparently scaling down is a lossy practice?

Thanks,
Chad

https://www.alitechhub.com/unblur-picture/

2019-04-07 04:34:34 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

I'm down scaling some tif images. These images are created with a graphics
software for making diagrams and the like. Geometric shapes and text mostly. When I open the tif in Gimp they are perfectly crisp. When I scale
the image down in size, it becomes slightly blurry, even when opting for the
"best" cubic algorithm.

I'm running into the same problem with both scale and rotate. What's really strange is that I was working on a drawing using GIMP 2.8 until very recently. When I was using 2.8 the amount of crispness that I lost when using the scale and rotate functions was within acceptable limits, for example I could rotate a particular line 4, 5 or maybe 6 times before the amount of blur became really noticeable. Yesterday I upgraded to GIMP 2.10 and the problem is MUCH more pronounced - even one rotation or just scaling down a small amount, say 10%, causes everything to become really, really fuzzy. I've attached an image to illustrate.

Did you ever find a solution?

2019-04-07 04:38:21 UTC (about 5 years ago)
postings

I'm running into the same problem with both scale and rotate. What's really strange is that I was working on a drawing using GIMP 2.8 until very recently. When I was using 2.8 the amount of crispness that I lost when using the scale and rotate functions was within acceptable limits, for example I could rotate a particular line 4, 5 or maybe 6 times before the amount of blur became really noticeable. Yesterday I upgraded to GIMP 2.10 and the problem is MUCH more pronounced - even one rotation or just scaling down a small amount, say 10%, causes everything to become really, really fuzzy. I've attached an image to illustrate.

Did you ever find a solution?

p.s. I tried fixing the problem by increasing the size and resolution of the entire image and that was an even bigger disaster. Now the entire image is super. fuzzy (see attached image). What am I doing wrong and why does 2.10 seem to be behaving so much differently than 2.8??

2021-10-28 11:46:30 UTC (over 2 years ago)
postings

Educated people can easily distinguish it from the first sentence of the article. You need to be good at writing articles [url="buy essays online no plagiarism"]buy essays online no plagiarism[/url] to look professional and earn your trust. Learn to write great articles that prove you are a well-trained professional throughout your life.

2021-11-04 12:00:36 UTC (over 2 years ago)
postings

I need to encourage you to focus on the way that today you can compose my essay at https://www.buyessayscheap.com/term-papers.html - because of an internet based assistance that will save your time and simultaneously there will be an astounding consequence of composed work without literary theft and on schedule