RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

photo resolution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

photo resolution David Heino 04 Oct 16:03
  photo resolution gimp_user 04 Oct 16:34
  photo resolution Leon Brooks GIMP 04 Oct 22:57
   photo resolution Johan Vromans 05 Oct 09:44
    photo resolution gimp_user 05 Oct 11:29
     photo resolution Johan Vromans 07 Oct 09:26
      photo resolution gimp_user 07 Oct 18:25
      photo resolution Chris Mohler 07 Oct 19:56
  photo resolution Konstantin Svist 04 Oct 23:51
photo resolution Bob Long 04 Oct 23:55
photo resolution Asif Lodhi 05 Oct 02:25
David Heino
2007-10-04 16:03:14 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

Hello,
If I am producing images for the web, is 72 dpi still sufficient across all possible monitors--a little lap top screen to a large screen HDTV?

gimp_user
2007-10-04 16:34:39 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

On Thursday 04 October 2007 07:03:14 David Heino wrote:

Hello,
If I am producing images for the web, is 72 dpi still sufficient across all possible monitors--a little lap top screen to a large screen HDTV?

Think in pixels. If you need to cater for full screen digital projection 1024x768 pixels is pretty standard.

Leon Brooks GIMP
2007-10-04 22:57:39 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

On Friday 05 October 2007 00:03:14 David Heino wrote:

is 72 dpi still sufficient across all possible monitors--a little lap top screen to a large screen HDTV?

There ain't no simple answer to that.

A simple laptop screen starts at about 1024x768 pixels (dots) so a 72DPI picture to cover that entirely would be about 14 inches by 11 inches. You don't want to cover that much in a web page, because there will be some actual page surrounding the image, plus web browser window frames etc.

My wife's 19-inch CRT is set to about 2000x1500 pixels, so the answer for that is about double.

Anyone using even larger monitors will be more than accustomed to stuff not fitting.

One possible/partial answer is to use some JavaScript to read the window's dimensions & alter the width & height parameters of the tag to scale whatever you provide, so it fits.

To get really fancy, provide several different images & have your JS select the closest fit & scale that.

Cheers; Leon

Konstantin Svist
2007-10-04 23:51:57 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

David Heino wrote:

DPI has nothing to do with screen resolution. On screen, most images are displayed pixel-for-pixel (unless the application is told to resize the image). Unless you specify the resize in HTML, most (if not all) browsers will display your image pixel-for-pixel. This is why talking about DPI when saving "for the web" is meaningless.

DPI *is* relevant when an image is scanned or printed. It is also sometimes relevant for fonts rendered by your computer. If you tell your system your DPI in regards to font size, it will change the font size to make it easier to view -- but there are 2 problems with that: the fonts might look fuzzy (reasonably easy to fix) and many programs will not display their content correctly because their programmers did not realize that the user might scale their fonts.

As far as saving "for the web," as others mentioned you should think in pixels. Things to keep in mind:
* users with large screens might resize their browser windows to be much smaller
* users on dialup (there are still a lot of them) really hate large images * some users might even turn off images while browsing (so please make good use of alt property)

Hope this helps

Bob Long
2007-10-04 23:55:14 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

If I am producing images for the web, is 72 dpi still sufficient across all
possible monitors--a little lap top screen to a large screen HDTV?

Read here: http://scantips.com/no72dpi.html More information about resolution, "DPI" etc. from the main site: http://scantips.com/

Asif Lodhi
2007-10-05 02:25:20 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

Hi Leon,

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 06:57:39 +1000 From: Leon Brooks GIMP
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] photo resolution To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu ......
One possible/partial answer is to use some JavaScript to read the window's dimensions & alter the width & height parameters of the tag to scale whatever you provide, so it fits.

Though I am not sure but may be you can find a CSS attribute or something for this task instead of employing JavaScript.

-- Best regards,

Asif

Johan Vromans
2007-10-05 09:44:14 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

Leon Brooks GIMP writes:

This will still cause the whole image (which may be large) to be downloaded.

To get really fancy, provide several different images & have your JS select the closest fit & scale that.

This would be a better option.

-- Johan

gimp_user
2007-10-05 11:29:55 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

On Friday 05 October 2007 00:44:14 Johan Vromans wrote:

Leon Brooks GIMP writes:

This will still cause the whole image (which may be large) to be downloaded.

This would be a better option.

-- Johan

This is not stictly "on topic" for this list but prepare a few different sized images and then,
if you are not familiar with getting screen and window property information, try loading this into your browser for getting screen properties - it should get you going - you might want to join a javascript list to help further:

Screen height: ")
writeln("(screen.height+"")
write("width: ")
writeln("(screen.width+"")
write("colorDepth: ")
writeln("(screen.colorDepth+"")
}
displayScreenProperties()

Johan Vromans
2007-10-07 09:26:54 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

gimp_user writes:

On Friday 05 October 2007 00:44:14 Johan Vromans wrote: This is not stictly "on topic" for this list

To make it even more off-topic: it doesn't work for me (FireFox 2.0), even after fixing the quotes around "Javascript"...

-- Johan

gimp_user
2007-10-07 18:25:00 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

On Sunday 07 October 2007 00:26:54 Johan Vromans wrote:

gimp_user writes:

On Friday 05 October 2007 00:44:14 Johan Vromans wrote: This is not stictly "on topic" for this list

To make it even more off-topic: it doesn't work for me (FireFox 2.0), even after fixing the quotes around "Javascript"...

-- Johan

Thanks johan for correcting my typo-- try this version (it should work)- my typing and cutting/pasting combination got well and truly screwed up!! !!

Screen

function displayScreenProperties() { with(document)  {
 write("height: ")
 writeln(screen.height+"")
 writeln(screen.width+"")
 writeln(screen.colorDepth+"")
}

Chris Mohler
2007-10-07 19:56:18 UTC (over 16 years ago)

photo resolution

On 10/7/07, Johan Vromans wrote:

gimp_user writes:

This seems to work:

Screen

function displayScreenProperties() { with(document) {
write("height: ")
writeln(""+(screen.height+""))
writeln(""+(screen.width+""))
writeln(""+(screen.colorDepth+""))
}
}

I agree it's not purely on-topic, but determining what type(s) of image(s) you need as your final product is important when using any design software....

Chris