RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

16-bit support/color management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

16-bit support/color management Claus Cyrny 13 Feb 05:58
  16-bit support/color management David Gowers 13 Feb 07:10
Claus Cyrny
2007-02-13 05:58:15 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Hi,

after reading through a number of old posts to the devel-list, I subscribed to this list again (after some time of absence), because I'm not a programmer/developer, but a user.

With the advent of new bitmap editors like CinePaint (ok, basically not for stills, but for 35mm film), Krita or Pixel, which are available for Linux (I am working under Ubuntu "Breezy" at the moment, and am about upgrading to "Edgy" sometime next month), I'm asking myself what the current state of the development of 16-bit support & color management for the Gimp is. (All of the above mentioned programs do include those features, as does Photoshop. I don't want the Gimp to become a second Photoshop, since the interface basically has a different approach, but I guess that, after so-and-so many years of delay, it's important to finally include those features. Otherwise I am foreseeing a major shift particularly of pro users to other programs.)

Last year I read in a preview of Gimp 2.4 that 16-bit/channel is supposed to be included in v 2.4. My questions: a) Is this correct, and b) Are there any rough 'directions' for Gimp development?

I'm hoping that this isn't off-topic for the 'users' list, but as I said, I'm just a user (so far) with little experience in programming, so it made no sense to me to subscribe to the devel list.

TIA,

Claus
-- Home Page: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ (Photographs) Blog: http://grafomatic.twoday.net (in German) "Djangology" http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/djangology/ (my Django Reinhardt site; in German)

David Gowers
2007-02-13 07:10:48 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On 2/13/07, Claus Cyrny wrote:

Hi,

after reading through a number of old posts to the devel-list, I subscribed to this list again (after some time of absence), because I'm not a programmer/developer, but a user.

With the advent of new bitmap editors like CinePaint (ok, basically not for stills, but for 35mm film), Krita or Pixel, which are available for Linux (I am working under Ubuntu

"Breezy" at the moment, and am about upgrading to "Edgy"

sometime next month), I'm asking myself what the current state of the development of 16-bit support & color management for the Gimp is. (All of the above mentioned programs do include those features, as does Photoshop. I don't want the Gimp to become a second Photoshop, since the interface basically has a different approach, but I guess that, after so-and-so many years of delay, it's important to finally include those features. Otherwise I am foreseeing a major shift particularly of pro users to other programs.)

Last year I read in a preview of Gimp 2.4 that 16-bit/channel is supposed to be included in v 2.4. My questions: a) Is this correct, and b) Are there any rough 'directions' for Gimp development?

Please give a link. Whoever wrote that is mistaken. GEGL integration is planned to begin after 2.4 is released, and 16-bit support will be facilitated through the use of GEGL. Sven would be able to be more specific; I can say that the 2.4 .. 2.6development cycle will be AFAIK dedicated primarily to GEGL integration.