RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rect-select: suppress 'expand from center' key or gesture shortcut

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Jeff Kowalczyk
2006-11-05 00:16:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Using linux gimp-2.3.12, Gentoo Linux ~x86. I have noticed in recent gimp versions an odd behavior when doing rectangular selections, which I do (and copy, paste) almost constantly when using Gimp.

I can't reproduce it right now, but somewhere in the mix of fence-selection gestures (in all origin-size directions), select all/none and copy-paste keystrokes, the unwanted 'expand from center' selection behavior was turning on, frequently. I almost never use this option, and have to go over to click the checkbox to turn it off when this glitch happens.

Is there a configuration option to disable gimp from ever turning on 'expand from center' by any automatic or shortcut method, except if the dialog checkbox is clicked?

Thanks.

Sven Neumann
2006-11-05 00:41:15 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 18:16 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

Using linux gimp-2.3.12, Gentoo Linux ~x86. I have noticed in recent gimp versions an odd behavior when doing rectangular selections, which I do (and copy, paste) almost constantly when using Gimp.

I can't reproduce it right now, but somewhere in the mix of fence-selection gestures (in all origin-size directions), select all/none and copy-paste keystrokes, the unwanted 'expand from center' selection behavior was turning on, frequently. I almost never use this option, and have to go over to click the checkbox to turn it off when this glitch happens.

Is there a configuration option to disable gimp from ever turning on 'expand from center' by any automatic or shortcut method, except if the dialog checkbox is clicked?

There's no such configuration option as the behaviour you outline is of course not intentional. You should expect such misbehaviour in a development snapshot. If you need to use GIMP for your work, you should stick with a stable version.

Sven

Jeff Kowalczyk
2006-11-05 03:52:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

There's no such configuration option as the behaviour you outline is of course not intentional. You should expect such misbehaviour in a development snapshot. If you need to use GIMP for your work, you should stick with a stable version.

"Using linux gimp-2.3.12, Gentoo Linux ~x86."

I'm accustomed to and very much willing to live with development version bugs, given the unstable version of the distribution I use ;)

Thanks for confirming that it is not intentional behavior, that's all I need to hear. I thought it might be some gesture or keystroke shortcut for advanced users, and thus might have a configuration option. If I can reproduce it, I'll look into filing a bug.

Sven Neumann
2006-11-05 10:11:53 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 21:52 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

Thanks for confirming that it is not intentional behavior, that's all I need to hear.

You misunderstood me. It is of course intentional that you don't need to use a checkbox in the tool options to do something as important as creating a rectangle from center. This has always worked by using a modifier key and it would be a regression if that wouldn't be possible with the rewritten tool. All I am saying is that the tool is not finished yet and that the current behaviour is not perfect. We really don't need to be told that since the tool is obviously not finished yet.

Sven

Jeff Kowalczyk
2006-11-05 15:23:54 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:11:53 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Thanks for confirming that it is not intentional behavior, that's all I need to hear.

You misunderstood me. It is of course intentional that you don't need to use a checkbox in the tool options to do something as important as creating a rectangle from center. This has always worked by using a modifier key and it would be a regression if that wouldn't be possible with the rewritten tool. All I am saying is that the tool is not finished yet and that the current behaviour is not perfect. We really don't need to be told that since the tool is obviously not finished yet.

I see. Just as well, sensible shortcuts for experts are one of the best things about GIMP, Blender, Inkscape, etc.

Can you indicate what the modifier key combination is, so that I may avoid its accidental activation, and deactivate it with the same modifier keys instead of a mouseclick in the checkbox. I seem to hit it by accident from time to time.

Thanks.

Is the current behavior as described in this post?

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg11620.html

1) If you press the Shift key, while button1 is down, the tool goes into "make square" mode, and stays there indefinitely. Releasing the Shift key has no effect. Pressing the Shift key again toggles the tool out of "make square" mode.

2) If you press the Control key while button1 is down, the tool goes into "expand from center" mode, and the center is set to be the point at which you first pressed mouse button1. Releasing the Control key has no effect. Pressing the Control key again toggles off the "expand from center" option.

Akkana Peck
2006-11-05 20:22:12 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven Neumann writes:

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 21:52 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

You misunderstood me. It is of course intentional that you don't need to use a checkbox in the tool options to do something as important as creating a rectangle from center. [ ... ] All I am saying is that the tool is not finished yet

If it helps, a little while ago in CVS builds I was seeing (and being frustrated by) the same behavior the original poster mentioned: that the rect and ellipse select tools would frequently and mysteriously snap into "expand from center" mode even when I hadn't pressed any modifier keys, then would stay there.

I was sure it must be a bug, or a failed experiment: I have confidence in the folks who are working on improving those tools. And sure enough, it no longer happens in current CVS (and hasn't for the past week or two). It looks like it was just a short-lived bug, now squashed. Rect and ellipse select are working fine now.