RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Opening PNG images with offset as layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Opening PNG images with offset as layers Timo 06 Oct 08:13
  Opening PNG images with offset as layers Timo 12 Oct 11:57
   Opening PNG images with offset as layers Simon Budig 12 Oct 14:44
    Opening PNG images with offset as layers Jeffrey Brent McBeth 12 Oct 19:44
     Opening PNG images with offset as layers Timo 14 Oct 08:56
      Opening PNG images with offset as layers Timo 20 Oct 08:58
       Opening PNG images with offset as layers Carol Spears 20 Oct 12:29
Timo
2005-10-06 08:13:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

I have PNG images which specify an offset (oFFs). When I try to open these as layers, Gimp ignores the offset and centers the image. Am I doing something wrong?

Opening the images in normal way works as expected although Gimp could automatically make the canvas oversized so that it can hold the image.

--

Timo

Timo
2005-10-12 11:57:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:13 +0300, Timo wrote:

Hi,

I have PNG images which specify an offset (oFFs). When I try to open these as layers, Gimp ignores the offset and centers the image. Am I doing something wrong?

Opening the images in normal way works as expected although Gimp could automatically make the canvas oversized so that it can hold the image.

No answers yet. Am I too impatient or should I take this to an other list?

I should propably add that the version of the GIMP is 2.2.7 and my system is FC4.

--

Timo

Simon Budig
2005-10-12 14:44:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Timo (tk0@exertus.fi) wrote:

The only thing I can tell you is, that there is code in the PNG plugin to handle offsets. I don't have any such images available, so I cannot verify this though.

Bye,
Simon

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-10-12 19:44:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 02:44:47PM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

Timo (tk0@exertus.fi) wrote:

The only thing I can tell you is, that there is code in the PNG plugin to handle offsets. I don't have any such images available, so I cannot verify this though.

Incidentally, an easy way to create one is to use ImageMagick to crop the PNG. Last I checked, it stores the oFFs chunk, which when opening the image in GIMP, causes the layer to be offset.

The issue at hand is that if you open the image as a layer (rather than as an image), the offset is ignored and the layer is centered. I would be interested to know if you have a selection when you open the image as layer, does it center the layer on the selection (it would be consistent with the floating layer's behaviour.

Jeff

Timo
2005-10-14 08:56:38 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 13:44 -0400, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Incidentally, an easy way to create one is to use ImageMagick to crop the PNG.

I can create them with GIMP too; I crop a layer and then, the layer being selected, 'Save as' => 'Ignore' => 'OK' ('Save layer offset' ticked).

Last I checked, it stores the oFFs chunk, which when opening the image in GIMP, causes the layer to be offset.

Same here

The issue at hand is that if you open the image as a layer (rather than as an image), the offset is ignored and the layer is centered.

Correct

I would be interested to know if you have a selection when you open the image as layer, does it center the layer on the selection (it would be consistent with the floating layer's behaviour.

Selection seems not to affect the behaviour in any way. I tried with no selection, the whole image selected and a small portion of the image selected. Opening a small offsetted image as layer came up always at the center of the whole image.

--

Timo

Timo
2005-10-20 08:58:44 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi again,

It has been very peaceful and quiet here lately (at least in this thread)...

What should I do next? Should I file a bug report (or feature request, perhaps)? Can someone verify that the latest versions behave in the same way as mine (2.2.7 on FC4)?

In case this doesn't thread correctly, the original issue was:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-user%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg08955.html

--

Timo

Carol Spears
2005-10-20 12:29:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:58:44AM +0300, Timo wrote:

It has been very peaceful and quiet here lately (at least in this thread)...

well, be sure to join the lively discussion of grammer checkers for texttool on another thread (or is it spelled grammar?)....

What should I do next? Should I file a bug report (or feature request, perhaps)? Can someone verify that the latest versions behave in the same way as mine (2.2.7 on FC4)?

you can file a bug report. be sure to attach a sample image though -- earlier on this thread someone mentioned that they had never seen a png like this. i haven't seen one either.

hell, maybe you can file a bug report and send a url to the sample to this mail list and specifically this thread. maybe the grammer checkers would like to open it also.

In case this doesn't thread correctly, the original issue was:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-user%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg08955.html

everything seems to be threading okayfine in mutt here.

carol